A Decent Cd/dvd Burner?

rolie

I have about 6 drives that have all died on me. This piece of hardware always fails on me. Some stop reading or burning or make loud noises, some just don't open when you want. Ithink Iv'e spent like 500 bucks on stuff that barely last a year or less.

I want to rip my cds to lossless format with a burner that will last for a few years. Any recommendations? Iv'e tried a sony, pioneer, tdk, plextor and liteon.

wow, i've never had to go through that many. i've had a liteon for years now. still on its first life.

lucky *******.

Well the liteon was already broken when I got it from my dad and it was pretty ancient. Some of the newer liteon looked kinda of ok. It might get a new one soon since my doesn't recognize normal cds anymore.

Now that think about it, it's probably all my fault. I used to be a chain smoker and blow smoke around the case. Maybe the lens just needs cleaning hmmmm.

I'm using an LG GSA-4167B, had it for about a year and a half, never any problems.

Also, if the drives were under a year old when they died, you should have gotten warranty replacements from the manufacturer.

I'm using an LG GSA-4167B, had it for about a year and a half, never any problems.

Also, if the drives were under a year old when they died, you should have gotten warranty replacements from the manufacturer.

I just RMA'ed the pioneer one. Haven't tried an LG yet. Will probably need another replacement soon with my luck. Thanks for recommendations.

I have had my liteon for quite a while now (at least 5-6 years). It was one of the earlier Dual layer DVD burners. It's all but dead now, and the dual layer part didn't ever work for **** (like I said, it was one of the earlier ones though), but for CDs, and single layer DVDs it worked perfectly for years.

I have an HP one now, that I have never tried the dual layer on it, but it works really well too. Not so excited by the fact it was an HP (got it for Christmas almost 2 years back), but it is holding up well, and does a good job so far.

emath2432, 5-6 years for a somewhat functioning burner sounds lucky to me. I used to have a ton of HP stuff but eventually just die. I've tried staying away from that company even though the prices are so cheap.

tiedyed, that's my problem, but don't burn that much. I wish all the companies would just work together and make something decent instead of having to hype up inferior products.

Archived