Foul Ball Home Run

chiefpsu

Has anyone seen anything like this: First Inning, Soriano was up (yes, I've got Soriano on the Yankees - I was the one Yankee fan not thrilled about the ARod trade) and he hits a foul-ball behind the plate that the catcher goes after. It looks like the catcher grabs it near the first row of the stands and I see Soriano, who had been running to first for some reason, start walking back to the dugout. All of the sudden I see the words "Home Run" flash across the screen! WTF is going on!? Soriano never rounds the bases, but rather goes right back to the dugout.

As the next batter starts to come up, I paused the game and looked at the box score - Soriano is 1 for 2 (remember, it was his first plate appearance) with a HR, but is not credited with an RBI (my team didn't get credit for the run either). I looked at the replay and, sure enough, the catcher goes after it, catches it, and the umpire starts waving his arm like it's a home run.

Not only was this very weird, but it also happened in my first game after installing the new patch, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

Has anyone seen anything like this: First Inning, Soriano was up (yes, I've got Soriano on the Yankees - I was the one Yankee fan not thrilled about the ARod trade)

Why? Soriano proved that he had a hole in his swing a mile big, and he couldn't play second base. Rodriguez is a better pickup.

I've had it happen once that I know of, but it wasn't a HR. Just a phantom hit.

Another thing that bugs me is the OBP bug that somehow makes a player have a lower on base percentage than batting average.

I've had it happen once that I know of, but it wasn't a HR. Just a phantom hit.

Another thing that bugs me is the OBP bug that somehow makes a player have a lower on base percentage than batting average.

Well, it is possible for a player to have a lower OBP than AVG, because of sac flies. For example, at one point last week Alex Sanchez was batting .327, but his OBP was .321, due to a sac fly and no walks.

Take a look at Mr. OBP Billy Beane's 1989 season -- 19-for-79, 2 SF, 0 BB... adding up to a .241 AVG and .238 OBP

Why? Soriano proved that he had a hole in his swing a mile big, and he couldn't play second base. Rodriguez is a better pickup.

alex may be great but he is a cancer to any team, left seattle... instantly better. when he came here to texas i thought they may improve (yeah i have a soft spot for the rangers always have), went to see em play a few times and was befuddled. yeah NY MIGHT make it to the series but it won't be because of him (didn't need him before right?). and being in tx i get to see a lot of ranger games these guys may not make it through the 162 games on top, but man they are on fire! as for soriano his power numbers are down some so far but when i watch him play he looks happy here in texas. yes alex is great and will probably put up great numbers but i just don't know...we'll see in october i guess. one thing for sure SF won't be there for a while LOL! what the hell are they doing in the bay area anyways?

Soriano is just a fun player to watch. He may have had a bad October last year, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of being one of the top 5 players in the game (yes, I said top 5). As far as defense, he's got incredible range at second, he just has to learn how to play it a little better.

Not to get off topic, but I think the Yankees biggest problems have been the collection of egos that are now the "team" and how they've gotten away from the role players that helped them win 4 championships (ie Paul O'Neill). ARod is not going to help that situation any more than Giambi, Sheffield, Brown, etc.

Anyway, back on topic - Send this to EA. I've used their tech support constantly for a week when I first got the game, and they seemed pretty good. As long as you are polite and don't go crazy, they will answer you with a decent response. :)

On topic - I took a screenshot of it and, while it's not the best video shot, so maybe I'll contact EA when I get home and see what they have to say... thanks, MarkB

Off topic - KenDammit, you might get your wish (well, not the Sox winning the championship, but your second wish :p ). George is buying 100 wins every year, but until we start building from within, the championships are going to go to teams like Arizona, Anaheim and Florida.

ehh, i'm not really a "fan" of any team, really. I just love baseball cuz its what my life was for 18 years. I do like Boston, and Houston, and the Reds because they're the only team i can call "hometown". I wish Boston could win it, I think this year could be a great year for them, but I just don't like what the Yankees are doing, but i like the yankees. George needs to try and actually use his farm systems for players instead of buying one and dones for 20 million/30 million a year. I just think that the championships aren't special for the yankees like it would be for the reds, or the padres or somebody, a team with role players, no real superstars, someone who feels like they worked really hard to get where they are.

I just see an implosion coming in NYC and i don't think its gonna be good for that franchise at all

ehh, i'm not really a "fan" of any team, really. I just love baseball cuz its what my life was for 18 years. I do like Boston, and Houston, and the Reds because they're the only team i can call "hometown". I wish Boston could win it, I think this year could be a great year for them, but I just don't like what the Yankees are doing, but i like the yankees. George needs to try and actually use his farm systems for players instead of buying one and dones for 20 million/30 million a year. I just think that the championships aren't special for the yankees like it would be for the reds, or the padres or somebody, a team with role players, no real superstars, someone who feels like they worked really hard to get where they are.

I just see an implosion coming in NYC and i don't think its gonna be good for that franchise at all

nice post ken, like yourself baseball was also my life for 18 years, then i made the choice pursue it or music (my other love). much to my dad's dissappointment i chose the latter, and that didn't pan out too well. after 12 years as a working musician i grew weary of the starving artist thing, in retrospect baseball probably would've ended the same way oh well...

as for fave teams i have many as well, my father was raised in the bay area so as a kid i saw many giants and a's games so the loyalty stuck. BUT his neighbor was a scout for the reds in the heyday (i'm showing my age here) and i IDOLIZED pete rose and johnny bench so i have a softspot for them as well. i was raised a military brat and spent 7 years in japan playing with the americans vs. the japanese and got to attend many japanese pro games as well and see some great players (never saw OH in person, but many times on t.v.). first pro american game 1972 fenway, sox vs. senators ted williams was the sens manager ( i am too young to remember but still have my pennant from the game) so i pull for them as well as the rangers (live in tx. now). i agree that the yankees hold no thrill, and really haven't for years. i like soriano in tx. he just looks like he loves to play the game. something i wish i could say for most nowadays.

it's great to see a board with so many baseball fans, i thought we had gone extinct. seems with the bombardment of constant moving images, everybody passes on baseball for what they consider a lack of "action" LOL! especially here in san antonio where all they know is spurs,spurs, spurs. the bright spot is that we have the missions (horrible name AND uniforms) seattle's (another soft spot) AA team. fun to go and see (and i usually make at least one pilgrimage up to houston and arlington to see a couplke pro games each season). oh well keep the love for the game alive...laters.

we just got a single A team about 20 miles up the road a couple years ago. The Lexington Legends, and have the Louisville Bats up there. If I'm not mistaken, the legends are pretty good for an A team, but I haven't ever had the chance to go see them play. I used to love going to the reds games when i was a kid. The last game I attended was the St. Louis - Reds series the year of Big Mac's homerun streak. I remember being about 9 or 10, seeing the 90 reds play A LOT and dreaming of growing up to be a Red, lol. A guy I grew up playing against, Austin Kearns, made it, and needless to say he hit some real bombs off of me in high school haha. I remember once he broke a window out of a house behind left field, probably about 500 feet away. I wish I could have played in college, but a shoulder injury my senior year made me a liability and all was gone. Kinda funny though, because I too love music and dabble with it from time to time.

Archived