Ps3 Issue

Ok, so this ia an issue with my PS3, so if any of you have knowledge to help me out! Great! If not! You can try to help too!

I have a 80 GB CECHE01 and I've had it for awhile now. It started acting up about 2 weeks ago. I would be playing my game and suddenly the unit would turn off and the red light would blink (so my first instinct tells me YLoD). So I let it cool down for about 3 minutes, and it starts right up and plays fine for about another 30 minutes and it does it again. So I figured it could be an overheating issue. So I took the top off (it was WAY out of warranty anyway, so I figured, eh what the hell!) and play with it without the top on, works 45 minutes and it does it AGAIN. So now after a few more attempts, I put a small fan on the power supply and it runs for about an hour without overheating until it does it again. I notice the auxillary fans NEVER kick on during all this, so I'm wondering if this is a) a power supply issue, B) an electrical issue, or c) an issue I have no clue about!

Some more info, the area next to the power supply and the HDMI plug ins is very hot, so this is why I'm leaning more towards the power supply, but I don't wanna drop 50 dollars for it to have no fix.

Nick

I have no idea about the PS3's internals, but if the auxiliary fans use a standard 3-pin connection, try taking them out and installing them in your PC. If they work, that rules out an issue with the fans.

I doubt the PSU would use an ATX connection, but, if it does...you know what's coming next. :)

If any friends have a PS3 which is also out of warranty, try a 2-way swap of the PSU.

If it were a PC, which the newer consoles pretty much are anyway, I'd say almost certainly a heat issue.

If you're feeling brave, you could remove the heatsink and apply some new thermal grease (after cleaning the original stuff off) and see if that helps.

Bear in mind - post written with absolutely no knowledge of PS3's internals. :)

EDIT - Should be obvious, but I've know many to forget to check - make sure there's no clogs of dust or fabric in the fans and heatsink, or anywhere else. Especially true if the console is running on a carpet.

This problem indicates that your system may be overheating and the safety feature is to just cut the system off after a certain temperature, similar to the safety feature in motherboards where the system will automatically shut down if the CPU temperature exceeds a certain threshold. The solution is to remove the existing thermal paste that the PS3 uses and reapply some thermal paste. I recommend Arctic Silver 5.

Well I went ahead and cracked open my PS3 again, took care of the new thermal paste and put it back in, first time about an hour in it overheated again, so I let it set about 48 hours and I just finished a 4 hour baseball game without the fan kicking into level 2 so I guess Arctic Silver did it's trick! It wasn't too dusty, just one or two big dust balls near the GPU, but so far so good!

Archived