Whos Roster?

letsgomets105

who's roster is the "2005 MLB Rosters for MVP 2004 " version? I have looked over a few things and although the rating seem accurate from multi sims, the lineups, Defensive alignments, pitching rotations, batting stances and pitching movements were wrong. Will there be a fixed version within the next month?

SS,

I'm using your rosters too and I think they're great. They've been the most accurate of any of the recently updated rosters that I've seen. I'm an O's fan and your lineup and rotation are pretty accurate guestimates of what they're going to be.

The only thing I've noticed about your roster is that some ball movements from the pitchers aren't right. For example, I noticed that David Wells, Al Leiter, and Mark Mulder would all have opposite movement on one of their breaking pitches, as if it had been thrown by a right hander instead of a left-hander. I don't know if this was intentional. I'm using the .sav version of your rosters, so maybe something got messed up in the conversion. But if you have any idea what might be causing the backwards breaking motion of some of those pitches, let me know. I've looked at the players and can't see why it's happening.

Anyway, great job on the rosters!

Mulder? I guess I'll double check, I don't remember doing anything major to him.

Wells, I do know I changed his curveball motion to horizontal. Is this a part of the problem? His curve breaks left to right not up to down like I believe the game sets as default. Letier I have changed a lot, mainly because the game gives him five pitches and everytime I watch Leiter pitch for the Mets he has only one. (Cutter) I do not remember the specific motion changes though.

I have had some complaints on the motions, though I have tried not to screw around with them too much. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should change some of the motions too, I'll have no problems taking the suggestions and changing the file.

SS,

I'm using your rosters too and I think they're great. They've been the most accurate of any of the recently updated rosters that I've seen. I'm an O's fan and your lineup and rotation are pretty accurate guestimates of what they're going to be.

The only thing I've noticed about your roster is that some ball movements from the pitchers aren't right. For example, I noticed that David Wells, Al Leiter, and Mark Mulder would all have opposite movement on one of their breaking pitches, as if it had been thrown by a right hander instead of a left-hander. I don't know if this was intentional. I'm using the .sav version of your rosters, so maybe something got messed up in the conversion. But if you have any idea what might be causing the backwards breaking motion of some of those pitches, let me know. I've looked at the players and can't see why it's happening.

Anyway, great job on the rosters!

i noticed that a bit aswell

Mulder? I guess I'll double check, I don't remember doing anything major to him.

Wells, I do know I changed his curveball motion to horizontal. Is this a part of the problem? His curve breaks left to right not up to down like I believe the game sets as default. Letier I have changed a lot, mainly because the game gives him five pitches and everytime I watch Leiter pitch for the Mets he has only one. (Cutter) I do not remember the specific motion changes though.

I have had some complaints on the motions, though I have tried not to screw around with them too much. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should change some of the motions too, I'll have no problems taking the suggestions and changing the file.

As a mets fan I know exactly what leiter posses. He has a fastball, cutter, slider and curveball. His slider sits at 84 and has a 10 to 5 break and breaks at about an inch before it hits the plate. His curveball is very similar to Wells and hits 74 to 76, some times 80. His cutter was once at a whopping 93 but now is at 86 and still has that late action movement in that right handed hitters hate. His 4 seam is straight and touchs 90 here and there. Usually sits at 88 to 89. This guy once possesed one of the best stuff in baseball as a lefty but shoulder problems since late 2000 have made him less aggressive. And for anyone who knows leiter, he is as aggressive as it gets. I have an idea SS and if your willing, we can talk. IM me with AIM at GibrilsShutDownD

I think the problem is certain motions (aka descriptions) is that some are only for lefties others are only for righties...

The MVPedit descritpions are:

None

little

slight

some

drop

vertical

horizontal

sinking

It seems like 'horizontal' screws up curveballs for lefties, while "sinking" screws up sliders and cutters for lefties too. (Leiter) Of course, Rivera's cutter default movement is 'sinking' and his should be fine. I really need to know which motions are fine which ones will turn curves into screwballs. If anyone can tell me anything I don't know, that'll be helpful, otherwise my roster will be a huge waste of time.

I think the problem is certain motions (aka descriptions) is that some are only for lefties others are only for righties...

The MVPedit descritpions are:

None

little

slight

some

drop

vertical

horizontal

sinking

It seems like 'horizontal' screws up curveballs for lefties, while "sinking" screws up sliders and cutters for lefties too. (Leiter) Of course, Rivera's cutter default movement is 'sinking' and his should be fine. I really need to know which motions are fine which ones will turn curves into screwballs. If anyone can tell me anything I don't know, that'll be helpful, otherwise my roster will be a huge waste of time.

See I think the issue here is that your not seeing the pitch right. Rivera's cutter acts the same way as Leiter's but from right to left (and faster) ala slider motion. The fact that you characterize it as sinking motion is way off! The way for you to make them as accurate as possible is to watch the video on a pitcher and then watch which motion in the game mimics it to the T. Otherwise your analysis will be wrong, as so will the rosters. Other than that they are as accurately rated as can be. I give an A in that category and an A in effort. Please take this as constructive criticism if you want your rosters to be perfect. Oh and no they were not a waste of time. I couldn't imagine getting something like this done unless I had months to work on it.

so you are saying that the sinking motion will only work for right handed pitchers? MVP edit really doesn't say which "description" is for what handed pitcher. I know for example that Wells' curveball has more of a horizontal (left to right) motion than an up to down motion, but the game won't seem to allow this.

I'm a bit lost right now.

Those are my rosters, and there will be some changes. But, I changed a ton of batting stances because I felt they were wrong, same with some pitching motions. You can't float everyone's boat I guess.

I noticed that you changed Barry Larkin's batting stance I had to change it back

Just loaded up the original roster (from the CD) and it seems like my hypothesis is right. Here's what I just jotted down in notepad

Possible definitions:

Vertical: go toward lefty batters box

drop: go toward lefty batters box DOWN

Horizontal: Go toward right batter box

Sinking: Go toward righty batter box DOWN

I have noticed that the game's creators avoided using Horizontal and Sinking on lefties' pitches while they would use vertical on some of the righties' pitchers (mostly changeups). I may screw around a little bit tonight though.

Anyway, I guess I will have to go through my roster's pitchers and make sure lefties do not have the horizontal or sinking motions in their pitches, change the movement to little, slight, some or drop/vertical.

Then my roster will not only be extremely accurate, but pitches will finally move in the right direction. :oops:

Sorry for anyone who had to put up with the frustration of the pitches looking strange, I didn't know how big of a deal it was until I finally tried it out myself. :angry:

I'll fix it! Or at least try!

sorry but there still are the same mistakes. A splitter doesn't break like a slider in real life. It breaks down. A cutter doesn't sink it breaks like a slider (side to side). Some pitchers have added pitches that they never had and still don't have. Your rosters have become more inaccurate in ratings when before they were close to perfect. Don't fix what ain't broke should have gone into the rating method. The batting stances are still off and so are the rotations and batting lineup. Oh and defensive positions are out of date too, still. I have an idea that just might work better for you. Leave everything default and only change the ratings back to what it was before your latest one, the rosters like who is on who's team and the contracts to what they are now. Leave the batting stances alone and the pitching motions. EA may have had inaccurate ratings and motion for many but at least they were motion reminisced of what each pitch did. Not a Curveball that breaks like a 2 seam fastball etc..... The stances, pitching motions, defensive alignment, batting order, and pitching rotations should be left to each fans team. Oh and Bartolome Fortunato is missing from the mets. Great Job on th ratings, contracts and getting each player on the right team though. Thanks for the rosters and I hope you take my criticism and use it to your advantage if you intend on redoing the rosters :wink: . Sorry if i sounder harsh as it was not my intent. All of this was just a statement of fact. Thank You again.

Believe me, I think Al Leiter is a way worse player than Delgado, plus he has no control. Anyway, the game gives players overall 'rankings' while I tried to make players accurately. Hell, I tried not to make Beltre or Beltran that good and they are some of the best players in the game... Hell, the ratings rank Helton over Pujols, and I made Pujols a better hitter.

I made the ratings right, but the overall ratings are a little crazy.

Anyway, everytime I did a full-season simulation, the players seemed to have accurate seasons. Al Leiter wasn't winning any Cys or anything. The game seems not to penalize pitchers' control ratings that much, that is why any player I gave a 93 mph fastball to has insanely high ratings regardless if they can spot it.

Believe me, I think Al Leiter is a way worse player than Delgado, plus he has no control. Anyway, the game gives players overall 'rankings' while I tried to make players accurately. Hell, I tried not to make Beltre or Beltran that good and they are some of the best players in the game... Hell, the ratings rank Helton over Pujols, and I made Pujols a better hitter.

I made the ratings right, but the overall ratings are a little crazy.

Anyway, everytime I did a full-season simulation, the players seemed to have accurate seasons. Al Leiter wasn't winning any Cys or anything. The game seems not to penalize pitchers' control ratings that much, that is why any player I gave a 93 mph fastball to has insanely high ratings regardless if they can spot it.

Also,this is not an insult but constructive critisim,but Miguel Cabrera was a free agent after one season,I dunno if you edited the contracts or anything but for the next roster could this be fixed?I doubt he was released because he was coming off a 35 home run 101 rbi year.

I took that all into account, here is the system. I made the contracts accurate but I cannot account for what will happen in future arbrtration cases.

Rookie = 3 years at 100 points (or 133 or 166 depending on how good they should be)

A guy with a year of experience already has two cheap years, a guy with two years under his belt is under contract for only one more year. It's a great system because I cannot predict how much one will make under arbritration 3 years from now.

Basically, I call my whole contract system 'psuedoarbrtration system'. After three cheap years and the player is at the resign point during the off-season, he'll ask for his arb. 'amount', you can either meet it or "non-tender" him. It's the best I can do since this game has no real arbritration.

Hopefully you can understand all of that...

SS....where does the epic.mbe file go? Same place as the .sav file?

Tx for all your time and effort. I've done some similar things for other sports games....and yes, you'll never please anyone in this day and age of everyone wanting something for nothing!

edit: didn't see it was already asked and answered...but take the props regardless man!

Archived