What'S Your Playing Style?

JoeRudi26

I've been watching the Little League World Series for the past week or so, and have gotten the chance to see some really versatile and different playing styles from teams (and coaches) from all over the world. It's been a blast to watch Japan's small ball as opposed the United States and  the South American teams pounding the ball all over the field (throw in Chinese Taipei). Of course, different situations call for different strategies, but I've noticed certain teams will stick with a game plan that paints the general way they approach the game.

And it got me to thinking how I personally approach the game when playing MVP, The Show, or whatever baseball game I'm playing, and I (like most) probably stick to a certain style of play.

I usually play small ball, but am fairly aggressive on the base paths in hopes of getting in scoring position to produce runs, and then rely heavily on pitching (which I'm better at than hitting) and defense to stay competitive for the entire game. I only seem to swing for the fences if I'm up by 4 or 5 runs, or down by a handful late in the game.

Just curious how many of you play the game.

I usually play small ball, but am fairly aggressive on the base paths in hopes of getting in scoring position to produce runs, and then rely heavily on pitching (which I'm better at than hitting) and defense to stay competitive for the entire game. I only seem to swing for the fences if I'm up by 4 or 5 runs, or down by a handful late in the game.

This is exactly how I approach every game I have ever played in Mvp. When I first started playing Mvp I had a hard time hitting but I picked up the pitching part very well. Well, I hit much better now but I still rely on my pitching.

Usually it is the late innings that I try for the bomb and only with certain players like A-Rod or Cano.

It depends on the game.

MVP 2003 and 2004, the only way I could score runs was by hitting homeruns. I remember it being really frustrating, and that's why I got MVP 2005.

In MVP 2005, I'm mainly a pull hitter. However if there are runners in scoring position with less than two outs, I'll try and hit a homerun. If it doesn't reach the stands, then it's a sac-fly.

MVP 2003 and 2004, the only way I could score runs was by hitting homeruns. I remember it being really frustrating, and that's why I got MVP 2005.

I actually never even played '03 and '04, I was still playing some version of High Heat. I do however find myself playing the same way with MVP '05 and The Show.

I actually never even played '03 and '04, I was still playing some version of High Heat. I do however find myself playing the same way with MVP '05 and The Show.

Also in '04 there was that horrible lefty-bug where left-handed hitters had no power. So I traded away all the left-handed batters for right-handed ones.

Also in '04 there was that horrible lefty-bug where left-handed hitters had no power. So I traded away all the left-handed batters for right-handed ones.

Around that time there was a pretty significant bug in HH2002 (I believe, could have been 2001) where the CPU would always get a hit with a full count, unless of course you threw way off the plate. Needless to say, you were better off walking him in most situations, men on base, etc.

I can't even remember if the bug was ever fixed or not.

Around that time there was a pretty significant bug in HH2002 (I believe, could have been 2001) where the CPU would always get a hit with a full count, unless of course you threw way off the plate. Needless to say, you were better off walking him in most situations, men on base, etc.

I can't even remember if the bug was ever fixed or not.

I don't remember that bug in 2002, or 2003, so I am guessing it was 2001 (I played the final year of Microsoft baseball in 2001). Also, High Heat had a lefty bug, but it was that you had to much power. You could have a lefty and a righty with the same ratings, but the lefty hit more home runs, and hit them further. Not only in the game, but in home run derby as well.

As far as my playing style, I don't care for small ball. I don't really swing for the fences either. Thats the one thing about MVP that I never liked. I didn't like that fact, that to hit a normal amount of Home runs for my power hitters, I was forced to use the power swing. I rarely ever hit one on normal swings, so I was forced to either swing for the downs, or never hit them.

Thats what I loved about HH... Just wait for a good pitch, and try to hit it solidly. If you hit it good, your ratings took over.

The Show is similar. Granted it has a power swing, but it isn't needed to hit home runs. I have cracked a lot of them over time with normal swings. Granted, I am playing with all time rosters, and the majority of my team is made up of power hitters.

I am the type of guy that loves a no hit bid, but hates low scoring games. I think thats why the whole steroid issue doesn't bother me. I dont think any less of Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, or any of the rest of them, because they played in the most exciting era of baseball for my tastes. I dont like the health risks, but it's their bodies, let 'em do what they want. I don't like guys being forced to do them to try and keep up with those that already are, but no one put a gun to their heads.

My playing style is probably the same as any other persons.

If I have a fast leadoff batter, I try for a bunt single, followed by a steal with the 2 man swinging away if the count goes 2-0, 2-1 or 3-0, 3-1, power hit 3, 4 and 5 - hit for average 6 and 7, I ALWAYS hit pitcher 8th (what can I say, I'm fond of LaRussa's idea here) and 9th speed.

Pitching wise, I dance around the plate as much as I can - not afraid to walk the batter 3-1 or 3-0. My defense is a strong back to me as I love inducing the double play balls.

I also tend to trick base runners by throwing behind them so they advance, quickly cutting it off and gunning them down. What can I say, I'm a meanie!

Archived