Getting Around Mlb.Tv Blackout

piratesmvp04

Hey guys, I haven't been around here in a while, but I saw HLFR ask in the shoutbox how to get around MLB.TV blackouts. They check you IP address, and if you are within that team's market area, you'll be blacked out. The way to get around that is to use a software that hides or changes your IP address online. I can't remember which ones I've used but I have used IP address hiders and I was able to watch MLB.tv perfectly. The only thing is that none of those software is free.

You could also try using one of the many online sites that will provide a HTTP Proxy, but most don't work especially well with large data requests. You could also try using a browser proxy - a Google search for proxy list provides plenty of results.

Last option - spoof your IP to one you know is located outside of the blackout area.

But by far the best option - just don't encourage the money-grabbing SOBs and don't use MLB.TV. Most nights there are streams online in one form or another, whether it be via online video (justin.tv, ustream, etc.), online radio (freebaseballradio.com) or a third-party program (Sopcast, StreamTorrent etc.), there are ways to get the game without shelling out megabucks to an already loaded corporation.

if there's a particular one that works well, it would be good to know a recommendation. it's frustrating that they advertise you can watch every game anywhere you go when that's a bold faced lie. if you travel to the region, you can't watch the local games and you can never watch the nationally aired games.

Well, when you consider the number of hops the data is taking, it's not too surprising. Even if you're the only user connected to the proxy, it'd still need to go through the proxy, then to you. Add in another user and you're losing half your bandwidth. Add in another 10 and...well, you get the point.

If you get a sufficiently fast and unused proxy, great. If not, you'll probably want to look at other options.

Archived