On-line Roster Editor

timo56

I'm planning on doing my own version of RGlass mvpedit. I know he plans on updating it for this year’s version of MVP 2005. So why am I doing this? Because, I am creating a web based version. The reasoning behind this is to be able to have a collaboration of roster modders work on creating a roster set.

Every year I create my own roster set (from MVP to TP and all the way back to Tony La Russa 3), and I know how time consuming it is to produce a great roster set. Last year I used GForce's in my dynasty. However it was only released in May early July (Not knocking GForce, his work it second to none). But like most of you, we would ideally like to start our dynasty on opening day with a fully complete roster set (MLB, AAA, AA and now A).

I see that JPup and jackcasper49 are planning to create a full roster set and try to release a v1 by opening day. I'd like to call on them or any other roster modder to come together and work on a collaborative set. We could devi-up the work by divisions, or by tasks: player name, trades, player attributes, player stats etc…

Let me know what you think and if you are willing to help produce a roster set.

If you manage to do this, it will be quite an accomplishment.

The GUI is very friendly.

The only thing you may need to do, if the project is completed successfully, is find a better (a faster and more powerful server) host for the app.

Good luck with the project... I'll surely be looking forward to it.

Fuzz:

Until the app is operational, he's in no trouble. Now, he mentions that he will contact RGlass to request some technical advice and I EXPECT HIM TO ALSO, IF HE HASN'T DONE IT ALREADY, TO ASK ROB FOR HIS PERMISSION... if not, well, he's going to get a really mouthfull from all of us :D.

Fuzzone - No I did not ask RGlass. I made it similar to his editor for usability purposes. People are familiar with how it works. But I did not believe it was an issue. The concept of an editor is not exclusive. If he has a problem with it, I can modify the interface.

The H - I did not plan on moving to another server, but if it is required I will look into it. The problem is that the server must have Flex installed for it to run. So far I don't know of any hosting providers who offer it.

timo56,

Your idea is pretty good... and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate your effort, but the concept 'kind of' belongs to RGlass (at least for the MVP series), so my advice would be, at least out of respect to his work, to request his permission. That way, you're covered... and if by any chance he says 'no', well, simply adjust the GUI accordingly and go on with your idea.

timo56,

One more thing... about my comment concerning the need for a better host, what I meant was that you may need a host with more bandwidth... because as soon as you release it, hehehe, people will use it and use it and use it ;).

i was going to wait till rglass gave a response of some sort but since

Let me know what you think and if you....

You see, i'm opposed to the idea because the topic starts off with MVPEdit On-Line and then the first sentence in the first post is "I'm planning on doing my own version of RGlass mvpedit."

u can't really do your own version of MVPEdit, you can pretty much create an editor from the ground up if you want.

It just feels that your ripping off his work and if your claiming that the idea of an editor isnt exclusive(which your right), then why are u throwing the name MVPEdit and already designing it like mvpedit? and at the time, you didnt even ask him yet.

now timo, the idea is a great idea, but the way your going about it -- i don't know man.

Once again, that's just my point of view. If Rglass supports your idea and is willing to help you out, best of luck to you.

The H - I just sent him an email asking permission to use him interface concept.

To everyone out there as I stated to RGlass in the email.

I am not doing this for recognition only to help make MVP 2005 the best it can be with regards to rosters. I would like to see a collaboration of roster modders come together and produce the most accurate rosters ever.

This and this alone is my only goal.

You see, i'm opposed to the idea because the topic starts off with MVPEdit On-Line and then the first sentence in the first post is "I'm planning on doing my own version of RGlass mvpedit."

u can't really do your own version of MVPEdit, you can pretty much create an editor from the ground up if you want.

Fuzzone - You are absolutely right! I should not have used the name MVPedit. It is RGlass branded name for his editor.

I used it because it this version would allow you to perform the same functions as the MVPEdit but it would be on-line.

I did go about it the wrong way. I should have sent a message to RGlass first to tell him what I was planning on doing, before posting my thread.

I hope this is all the damage control I will have to do.

fuzzone,

Let's not blow this out of proportion, please.

I know how succeptible the community is about 'ripping off' stuff out of mods and all, but the guy is just trying to improve the whole thing.

Yes, I agree with you that the way he presented the idea is not the best, but heck, you learn by making mistakes. He said that he just sent RGlass an email, so well, let's just wait and see.

The thing is that 'attacking' (may not be the right word, because I know that is not your intention here) an idea like this in such an early stage can be counterproductive. Let's just wait how the whole thing goes, but my advice is to be a little more patient and lenient in similar circumstances in the future.

The difference with this editor (don't know what to call it yet?) to mvpedit is that multiple people will be able to work off one saved file at the same time. This way we can produce a collaborative roster set much quicker and possibly more accurate than ever before.

timo, there's no doubt that it's a great idea. Whether ur able to get help or not, you should definitely make it happen.

for a name, how's

Timo's MVP 2005 Online Roster

O-MVP(for online MVP

O-MVP-R (online MVP Roster)

MVP Teamsters

TMVP-O (Timo's MVP ONLINE)

TMVP-OD (Timo's MVP ONLINE DESIGN!!!)

or

my favorites,

MVP2005 TEAM REVAMP

TIMONLINE

ROSTEREVAMP-O

Looks very good. I don't think the idea of the roster editor is exclusive, no, and would support this project - except for one caveat I will describe below. First a couple of concerns:

1) How much of the back-end is actually complete? From personal experience, it takes a lot of time to code a roster editor. I think it took me three months before I was even satisfied with what MVPedit was producing. And it still has many flaws I have failed to address out of laziness and lack of time. :lol:

2) How will you handle security? I guess I'm just curious as to how it will be shared amongst multiple clients. What prevents someone from going into a roster and messing everything up if it's shared online?

Now, for my caveat:

3) I guess great minds think alike. I've been working on a system very similiar to this (albeit without this nice interface) and it should be done in a couple of weeks. My first priority will be to get MVPedit working for MVP Baseball 2005, and then update the web-based application (as I'm currently coding it off the 2004 base). I'm hoping to have MVPedit updated within a couple of days, and the web-based editor in a couple of weeks after the game release.

The idea for my project is to have a team of moderators preside over a roster project, and anyone can come in and make changes to it. Then the moderators approve the changes. The roster base is stored online, and people can download the roster at anytime for their own personal use. The plan is to have multiple roster bases, such as "2005" and "Hall of Fame Squads" and whatnot. A bit different then this, but similiar concept.

I'd like to help with yours at it seems to have promise, but between MVPedit and the web-based stuff I'm doing, and the work I'm doing over at TPG.net, I simply don't have time. I would ask that you don't use the MVPedit name just to avoid confusion.

My web-based roster project was going to be a suprise, but I guess the cat is out of the bag now. :p

rglass95,

It's good to hear from you :).

I see you have been pretty busy lately... that's just an excellent sing of things to come soon.

Maybe you guys can work together, I don't know... sometimes two brains think better than one... and from the looks of it, you appear to have the statical part of it controlled, so maybe he can help you with the web interface or its GUI... just a thought ;).

if he is not using MVPedits source files he has no problems, are you bitching about the layout of the program?

not really that many different ways to layout all the required fields. I guess he could rearange the layout. But I think the goal is to make it friendly to users of MVPedit.

I see where he has stolen anything

fuzzone,

Hahaha, yes... that's odd... but you know what? somebody has to maintain a sane and positive attitude around here... otherwise, we'd be in the hands of a few rowdy ('hooligans' is a perfect term for them) Yankee fans... and that has bad news written all over it.

Archived