Kotaku - Major League Baseball 2K’S Cancellation Looms

Hollywood70

http://kotaku.com/5912483/major-league-baseball-2ks-cancellation-is-confirmed

I guess this isn't really a surprise. But it sure sucks that it has to happen at this particular time. With the realignment coming next year in MLB, 2K12 isn't going to have much of a shelf life in 2013 and beyond :(

Personally, I'd pay them 10 bucks for a patch to 2K12 that updated the league alignment and schedule for 2013. I'm sure that is wishful thinking.

Yea, it's been 100% confirmed that the series has but the dust for good. There's also rumors that the patch has been canceled, which wouldn't surprise me at all. When they canceled NHL 2K they only released a patch for the 360 and didn't want to spend the time or money to send it through Sony. They may release one for 360 but scrub the PC patch...if they even release one at all.

The unfortunate legacy of the MLB 2K series for gamers was that it was never a next-gen product. They chose to simply build on top of the last-gen engine, and as a result there have been legacy quirks/bugs/"features" in every iteration of the game for the last ten years. For instance, you get the same small batch of hit types (soft line drives at infielders) ten times per game every single year. In the end, it was like the team at Kush Games/Visual Concepts could only try to patch up the same walls to a rickety old house -- they were never going to be able to unlock its full potential without razing the whole thing and starting with a brand-new foundation.

Say what you will about EA, but they took the time/resources to have separate teams that built new tech from the ground-up for their sports titles in this generation, and as such they at least feel like games that pushed next-gen tech. NBA Live looked amazing even if the gameplay sucked, NHL actually took a year off between Xbox 1 and 360 so EA Canada could build new tech for it (and it's been great), and Madden's gameplay has slowly caught up to its solid tech over the course of this generation.

Found this stickied at 2k forums:

Earlier, someone posted a rumor that the patch for MLB2K12 has been cancelled. I will inform everyone that the patch will still be released. I am currently trying to get information if it has hit first parties yet, but wanted to let everyone know to not worry about the state of the patch. It will be coming.

Update: It has been reported that the patch has been submitted to Sony and Microsoft. Expect between 10 to 14 days for it to be available. The patch is now out of 2K's hands.

Last edited by sleepytercel; 4 Hours Ago at 07:36 PM..

The unfortunate legacy of the MLB 2K series for gamers was that it was never a next-gen product. They chose to simply build on top of the last-gen engine, and as a result there have been legacy quirks/bugs/"features" in every iteration of the game for the last ten years. For instance, you get the same small batch of hit types (soft line drives at infielders) ten times per game every single year. In the end, it was like the team at Kush Games/Visual Concepts could only try to patch up the same walls to a rickety old house -- they were never going to be able to unlock its full potential without razing the whole thing and starting with a brand-new foundation.

Say what you will about EA, but they took the time/resources to have separate teams that built new tech from the ground-up for their sports titles in this generation, and as such they at least feel like games that pushed next-gen tech. NBA Live looked amazing even if the gameplay sucked, NHL actually took a year off between Xbox 1 and 360 so EA Canada could build new tech for it (and it's been great), and Madden's gameplay has slowly caught up to its solid tech over the course of this generation.

Not to mention that NBA2K12 is the benchmark for sports games. Why couldn't MLB2K12 be as good as NBA2K12?

Why would that be the "benchmark" for sports games ? Cause you say so ?

No, because that's his opinion and that's good enough. I won't speak for him but recall from previous posts that Louisville Lipp owns both of these games and I think what he is saying is that the NBA game was made so well so why couldn't the same company put the same effort in and get the same results with their baseball game since they had the market cornered all these years?

what's interesting is that 2K basketball wasn't always this good. In fact it didn't make big strides until 2K10 and then a huge leap with 2k11. Especially when you consider the release for PC, they have both both been consistently released since 09'. So why is the MLB version so far behind when the NBA version, on the same platform hasn't improved? Nobody knows, but it's an obvious failure on the part of 2K and the developers.

No, because that's his opinion and that's good enough. I won't speak for him but recall from previous posts that Louisville Lipp owns both of these games and I think what he is saying is that the NBA game was made so well so why couldn't the same company put the same effort in and get the same results with their baseball game since they had the market cornered all these years?

Thk you Y4L, It's not because I said so, it's a fact. It was voted sports game of the year. 2K dropped the ball on MLB2K12. They hit a homerun with NBA2K12. Now I see why most of you guys still play MVP04-05