Capturing Blu-Ray Screenshots?

I have a blu-ray drive in my computer and I enjoy watching movies on it. The picture quality is amazing and I want to capture screenshots just like I do when I am watching a regular DVD movie.

I am using Cyberlink PowerDVD version 7.3. Cyberlink is up to version 12 now but I am not upgrading because the later versions of this program have become bloated with stuff you don't need and besides you still can not capture blu-ray screenshots.

Nothing works when I try to capture a shot when I am watching any blu-ray movie. I have tried to hit print screen but that doesn't work. I even went as far as running Fraps. I didn't think that would work but I tried it anyway. It didn't.

And that is why I am writing this. Are there any tricks to capture a screenshot in blu-ray that you know of? Thank you for any help that you can offer.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah most video players are like that to prevent those screenshots. I remember some versions of Cyberlink having that built in to do it, but have you tried Media Player Classic? It comes with the K-Lite codec pack. I don't know if it plays bluray as I've never tried it, but it takes screen shots because you can pause it and save the still as an image.

If it works I'll need you to do me a favor :)

I'm sorry Homer it didn't work. But if I ever get this to work I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can.

Its' a touchy thing because you need to circumvent a few things on the hardware to take screenshots.

What kind of things and how?

Something about encryption and the BDA making some noise kept that function out of the PowerDVD software.

I read about this encryption stuff while I was doing my searching. If I had an earlier copy of PowerDVD I would be able to get this to work. As i said, I have version 7.3.

Hey Y4L,

You might want to give Bandicam a try…http://www.bandicam.com/

Although it is used as an excellent substitute for video/screenshot capture of games, you can also capture both video and screenshots in your windows environment. There is even an option to draw a rectangle around any part of your windows screen and do your capturing; of course you can do full screen as well. I have tried this with multiple video/movie players on Windows and I know it works. However, I only have external blu-ray players and none on my computers, so I cannot confirm if it will capture your blu-ray images on your computer.

The program is not free ($39 for the unlocked/official release) but you can definitely try the free version which will put a watermark on your screenshot captures; but at least you can see if it is possible. I’ve been using this program for about 7 months and I love it, especially the great compression and quality on the video captures for games….MUCH SMALLER file size than Fraps. Let me know how this goes.

-Dennis

Bandicam is a no-go Dennis. I also tried something that I own that is similar to Bandicam called Fast Stone Capture. That didn't work either. Fast Stone allowed me to capture the screen image but when I saved it it was a black screen. These blu-ray people aren't fooling around.

Geez Lousie, they must have hired the same people that regularly remove the horrible acting Bob Kraft and his girlfriend audition video from YouTube every nansecond. LOL! I would have bet the house that Bandicam would've done the trick. What a ridiculous notion to make this so difficult...I can't understand the logic in trying to prevent this. :crazy:

Wait...did you try to draw the capture rectangle in Bandicam around your paused blu-ray image? Did you get a black screen like Fast Stone Capture?

I could not get the bandicam program to work with Cyberlink. Would not even work in that program. No matter what I try it doesn't work.

This might lead to nothing but have a try with Fraps or MSI Afterburner's screenshot options. They do work for 3D programs when Windows would only produce a black picture.

As I said in my first post in this thread I did try Fraps. That did sound like a good idea didn't it? In Fraps we can get screen grabs from just about anything but it did not work here.

A lot of programs use a video overlay instead of loading up the video directly. What a video overlay does is just make a black box on screen and load up anything through that black box. Since you can't exactly capture what's loaded on that black box, your screenshots will come out with just that black box itself.

A lot of programs use a video overlay instead of loading up the video directly. What a video overlay does is just make a black box on screen and load up anything through that black box. Since you can't exactly capture what's loaded on that black box, your screenshots will come out with just that black box itself.

And that is exactly what has been happening with me KC.

did you try ripping the disc and using media player classic? i just tried it with some videos and it works fine for it. it's the only thing i've found that can do it unless you want to pay for a program...however, i just realized that you need a bluray burner to rip it. not sure if that's what you got.

did you try ripping the disc and using media player classic? i just tried it with some videos and it works fine for it. it's the only thing i've found that can do it unless you want to pay for a program...however, i just realized that you need a bluray burner to rip it. not sure if that's what you got.

Yes, I have a blu-ray burner. And as far as ripping it with media player classic, I really didn't know how to do that.

DVDFab HD Decrypter: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

It's free and will rip the movie to your computer.

when it's done, navigate through the folders to find the movie files. i haven't done it with bluray before so i don't know what the root folders will look like. but look for a giant sized video file of some sort and open it in media player classic. if you can play the movie, it should work. all you have to do is pause it and go to File>Save Image

edit: dvdfab hd decrypter is pretty straight forward. just insert the disc and the menu walks you through everything. i would probably try ripping it to an mkv file.

Homer, great job man. I downloaded DVDFab HD Decrypter like you said and I tried it out. I also took your advice and saved it to a .mkv file. I tested it out with an episode from season one of Hawaii Five-O and it did the job. The only thing is that if I want to continue using the blu-ray ripper I would have to pay sixty dollars before thirty days are up.

you might want to double check that. dvdfab hd decrypter should be free. it's all the other features it has that has a 30 day trial. this is what i see when i open mine.

but now that you got it to work, let me know if you ever rent the season 1 justice league cartoons. i want a screen from the opening credits :)

you might want to double check that. dvdfab hd decrypter should be free. it's all the other features it has that has a 30 day trial. this is what i see when i open mine.

but now that you got it to work, let me know if you ever rent the season 1 justice league cartoons. i want a screen from the opening credits :)

Yes it is free. But look at my screenshot. I got to buy these things or else they will run out on September 7.

And I will be very happy to do it for you Homer. I've never heard of the Justice League before but I try and find out places that rent blu-rays and DVD's.

it must be the way you're using it. i've never had an issue with it but i've never done blurays. the site says that the hd decrpyter is free and you can use it to rip bluray. anyhow, i guess you'll find out in september :) it should work but when that expires, you can look into finding out how it works. if it doesn't work, handbrake works too and that is for sure completely free.

surprised you've never heard of it. it's the best comic book cartoon adaptation ever. though the new young justice ones are really good too.

Archived