Baseball Books - Top Ten (All Time)

thetsar

Hello all. I saw a post regarding the stat books and who gets what. I thought I would start a chat and get people to list their all time favorite books, which may give me some ideas for books I have not read as I am now looking to start a new book and need purchase ideas.

1- Iron Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig - Jonathan Eig

2- Connie Mack's 29 Triumph: The Rise and Fall of the Philadelphia Athletics Dynasty by William Kashatus

3- The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth by Leigh Monteville

4- Ted Williams by Leigh Monteville

5- Lefty Grove by Jim Kaplan

6- Mike Schmidt by William Kashatus

7- Almost a Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the 1980 Phillies by William Kashatus

8- Ball Four by Jim Bouton

9- Odd Man Out - A Year on the Mound with a Minor League Misfit by Matt McCarthy

10- The Natural by Bernard Malnud/ Shoeless Hoe by WP Kinsella.

I'm sure I'm missing some that should be in there but that's off. the top if my head.

You have some books there that I haven't read yet. There's nothing I like more than reading a baseball book.

I've got some, but in no particular order.

1. Nice Guys Finish Last by Leo Durocher

2. The Roaring Redhead -Larry MacPhail- Baseball's Great Innovator by Don Warfield

3. Stan Musial: An American Life by George Vecsey

4. 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports by Kostya Kennedy

5. Babe: The Legend Comes to Life by Robert W. Creamer

6. The Image of Their Greatness by Lawrence Ritter

7. Baseball When the Grass was Real by Donald Honig

8. Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History by Cait Murphy

9. Baseball in '41: A Celebration of the "Best Baseball Season Ever" by Robert W. Creamer

10. A Legend in the Making: The New York Yankees in 1939 by Richard J. Tofel.

We also have an old thread here that hasn't been posted in in years about Baseball Books that have other suggestions.

tsar - #1 should be "Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig". It's a great book -- I read it a few years ago. A friend of mine, who moved just outside of Cooperstown last year, let me borrow "The Echoing Green" by Joshua Prager. It's the story of the New York Giants winning the 1951 National League pennant by using a telescope in the office above the outfield wall to steal signals and send them to the dugout.

As a Yankees fan, and a child of the 70's, I really enjoyed "The Bronx is Burning" by Jonathan Mahler and "The Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle.

Jim - my bad, you are correct. The Ray Robinson book on Gehrig is good as well. I read Prager book - very good.

T4L - the Creamer book on Ruth is excellent. Might want to try the Eig book on Gehrig and Monteville on Ruth - both are phenomenal. I'm a Philly guy but love any good baseball book. Crazy 08 and the Vescey book on Musial. Vescey has a short book on the history of baseball which is very good too. I might have to try the creamer book on 43 season. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

T4L - the Creamer book on Ruth is excellent. Might want to try the Eig book on Gehrig and Monteville on Ruth - both are phenomenal. I'm a Philly guy but love any good baseball book. Crazy 08 and the Vescey book on Musial. Vescey has a short book on the history of baseball which is very good too. I might have to try the creamer book on 43 season. Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

I already have the Eig book on Gehrig. It took me less than a day to read it because it was so good. I also own the Monteville on Ruth too. Just as good.

I've been meaning to get 'The Bronx is Burning' for quite a while. I watched the series some time ago, wasn't bad.

I was a teenager in the mid to late-70's, and I vividly remember everything that was discussed in the book -- Reggie Jackson and the Yankees, the power outage and riots in New York, the Son of Sam serial killer, etc. so I had a lot of flashbacks while reading the book.

I was a teenager in the mid to late-70's, and I vividly remember everything that was discussed in the book -- Reggie Jackson and the Yankees, the power outage and riots in New York, the Son of Sam serial killer, etc. so I had a lot of flashbacks while reading the book.

What a ride it was, right Jim? That summer flew by.