Evolution Of Baseball Video Games

JoeRudi26

Amazing. And what's more is that this video started with games in the mid 80's and you can tell how things really took off in the 90's. I recall when the first Triple Play baseball came out. I thought it was the best thing I've seen in a long time. And look closely when Mvp 2005 is featured in this video. Take a look at the overlay used in the game. It was made by Trues.

one of my favorites...

Hardball-5.jpg

I played Hardball on my old Apple IIc, the only camera angle was behind the pitcher. I played 2 whole seasons with the All-Stars without the DH, so I knew the nuances of the double-switch by the time I was 14. Louie Laws was always clutch with RISP. The closer, Estrada, was adept at blowing saves but the offense would often bail him out while he was pitcher of record, so one of the seasons he had like an 18-10 record.

I loved Hardball, especially Hardball 3. That was out at the same time Tony Larussa Baseball 2 was out and I could not get enough of those two games.

I remember waiting and waiting on Hardball III to come out. Was driving me crazy seeing it in all the gaming magazines and not being able to play it until they released it. As usual, I locked myself (had no kids at the time) in my game room and pumped out a full season that summer. After that, a year or so later, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Sega's World Series Baseball, which was one of my favs as well.

After that, a year or so later, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Sega's World Series Baseball, which was one of my favs as well.

Didn't that game have its beginnings on the old Sega Saturn system? I never got World Series Baseball until they made an x-box version of it. Then they changed the name to ESPN baseball.

Didn't that game have its beginnings on the old Sega Saturn system? I never got World Series Baseball until they made an x-box version of it. Then they changed the name to ESPN baseball.

Actually it did, Y4L, I had that one as well. The Saturn, obviously, turned out to be a flop. The game wasn't all the good either.

Actually it did, Y4L, I had that one as well. The Saturn, obviously, turned out to be a flop. The game wasn't all the good either.

Yeah, it was. From what I remember it was expensive to create and they had a hard time keeping costs down as compared to other systems that were around at the time. Then World Series Baseball moved over to the Dreamcast, which really was not bad.