MVPEdit Tutorial

Foocards88

Is there any MVPEdit tutorial or READ.ME file out there to help with my first time using this?  I did read the disclaimer saying messing this up could highly screw up the game's functionality so I'm a little more than apprehensive to just wing this.

When you do use MVPedit, the two biggest things to keep in mind is that it is an Access based program, meaning it saves what you change on the fly..... no going back.  So if you're going to do especially global edits or a lot of changes, make a "save as" version to keep your progress moving forward, but something to fall back on if you mess up.  Additionally, if you want to move someone out of the #1 pitcher's spot on any team, don't just pull him.  Replace him with someone else first and then move him.

Additionally, try to keep a minimum of 10 pitchers and 10 fielders on any given team.

When you do use MVPedit, the two biggest things to keep in mind is that it is an Access based program, meaning it saves what you change on the fly..... no going back.  So if you're going to do especially global edits or a lot of changes, make a "save as" version to keep your progress moving forward, but something to fall back on if you mess up.  Additionally, if you want to move someone out of the #1 pitcher's spot on any team, don't just pull him.  Replace him with someone else first and then move him.

Additionally, try to keep a minimum of 10 pitchers and 10 fielders on any given team.

​Thank you for the advice and information.  I'll more than likely just be editing ratings and star power.  I only looked at the Cardinals roster primarily and saying that Holliday should definitely not own a 79 speed rating at this point in his career.  Also Bourjos' range rating was only 65 when he and Carlos Gomez have the highest UZR in the league.  I mean he was so good they moved Trout to LF.

OK so I made the changes.  Exported the file to the database folder under the file where my modded copy of MVP exists.  It overwrited and saved.  I fire up MVP 15, and no changes are seen however the game is functional so I didn't mess up too bad.  Any steps I skipped?

1.  Range ratings are relative so that the game plays more realistically.  Of course, this is in keeping with how that is married to your sliders.  The maximum range I give MLB OF's is 9.  This is just based on experience on how the game reacts to those levels and the sliders.  YMMV.  I used UZR for the "fielding" attribute and RZR for "range".  Bourjos numbers are highly above average at 12 and 8 for those 2 categories.  Gomez' range was just as high, but his fielding was slightly above average.  The problem with picking and choosing guys to adjust is that if you're crediting certain favorites, then it probably means you're shortchanging others.

2. Always export to a temporary folder (I use one on the desktop so it's easy to find) and then delete the "old" files and put in the new.  Don't just replace.  Differences will NOT be seen in an on-going season you are using as that gets saved to the games .SAV files.

So I guess my next question would be, are your sliders the default for the MVP 15 mod?  If that's the case, I will trust what you have set out for the game.  My favorite player is probably Yadier Molina and I thought his 85 contact and 80 power were too high so I definitely wasn't "homering" the ratings.  If you could explain your last sentence please, I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Differences will NOT be seen in an on-going season you are using as that gets saved to the games .SAV files."  Thank you, Gordo.

No, there's no default sliders.... just preferred.  When I worked on these rosters in previous years, I would release occasional slider sets, but everyone must find there own comfort zone.

Fair enough about Molina, but you can't go by your opinion.  The ratings are set based on stats and comparative to each other.  For example, I'm sure Molina has those numbers vs. lefties and rather lower ones vs. righties (without looking).

The last sentence means that if you started a season/dynasty and then changed rosters in mvpedit and then imported them, don't expect to see those changes take effect in the present season that you are playing.