Controller drivers and other games

tinpanalley

I've got a question for those of you that might be better versed in this than me.

So there is a certain config file that makes the 360 controller work for MVP 2005. Now it turns out that NHL 09 on PC requires a different variation of the 360 controller driver. Something to do with XBCD and then there's another possibility that it needs a specific japanese driver for the controller that for some reason works.

My concern is that by installing either one of them, it's going to mess with what is currently letting the controller work for MVP which would be really annoying. Can anyone help me figure out what I can do to try this out?

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

Or....you can do this. Keep the 360 controller for the NHL game and pick up a Logitech controller for Mvp that you can buy on Amazon for a really good price. I use this one and never have had an issue with it.

Yeah, I thought about that but I need it to be wireless. Just because of how I have my PC setup.

Although honestly, with all the older games I'm playing that just work better with an older controller, it might just make more sense to have the wireless version of that Logitech.

Drivers are finnicky and they leave data behind that can be hard to fix. I thought if I saved the controller config file for MVP (which I already have backed up) as long as I can revert to a previous driver or reinstall the default, I should be fine. But even then I dont know  that these drivers will work.

Maybe I need to double check that the wireless Logitech has good range. Cause the 360 is pretty good in that regard.

Thanks, guys.

I just bought this puppy on eBay for $15 shipped.  Been wanting one for years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saitek-P3000-Wireless-Gamepad-PC-Controller-and-Docking-Station-/332397524783?nma=true&si=nzTCkYoJKd%2BFHcbS22hpA2hBrX0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you don't like used, there's a brand new one for about $30.  Been using Saitek wired one for years.  They are beasts.

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

I should get it over the next couple of days.  I'll let you guys know how it responds.

Cool, thanks!

If anyone's interested, I'll do the same when I get the Logitech Wireless F710 I ordered last night. I would have done more research for a more intricate controller but A) I don't need anything better because I never play any game that requires a million buttons, and B ) All these sports games pretty much refer to Logitech as their base and are most compatible with them. Yes, I know that's because of business partnerships and what have you but even then, it's still the least likely ten years on, to cause problems.

Also, I may be getting somewhere with NHL 09 on other forums which could also end up being helpful for PES6 and other games that require Direct Input instead of X-input. people have suggested a couple of options to me that I'll try out.

1 hour ago, Schordese said:

I use the Logitech F310. Simple, cheap but effective. But it's not wireless.

And that's exactly why I got the 710. It's exactly the same but wireless. I had a 310. In fact, I think I had two. But at some point I thought I'd never use them again as I fell for the sports games on consoles like every other sucker. Oh well.

Well it's understandable.  All the new stuff is on console. The only drawback with the 310 (and probably most controllers I imagine) is that the buttons wear off over time and their sensitivity increases, which makes "check swings" more difficult. I play with pretty hard settings/sliders so being able to check my swing is absolutely vital for getting on base or drawing walks. Gordo said he ordered a Saitek model, apparently they work very well with MVP. We'll wait for his feedback.

Well, I got the 710 today and it works like a charm. Every game that demands a direct-input controller for properly having buttons mapped works perfectly. It's not just that direct input games don't know what to do with the x-input commands from the left and right triggers, but the face buttons are totally remapped in default which can cause problems if a game doesn't give you options to change mapping. Microsoft basically wanted everyone using the 360 controller and nothing else on their OS.

It's a fantastic little controller, I don't understand the gripes about it at all.

4 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

It's a fantastic little controller, I don't understand the gripes about it at all.

Usually because vid game console and accessory reviewers are making it seem like their reviews are more important than they are.

You use what's comfortable.  I've seen a lot of PS4 wireless reviews praising its glory.  But if the PS4 controller is anything size and feel wise like the PS3, then imo that's made for girl hands.  I need something with bulk and heft.

Relatedly, my Saitek P3000 came in but as fate would have it, none of the rechargeable battery packs you need work/are chargeable.  The internal batteries do not seem easily found and I'm getting my money back.  This is the 2nd wireless Saitek charger I got on ebay that didn't work out.  At least this guy gave me a full refund and basically said "keep it".

1 hour ago, Gordo said:

Usually because vid game console and accessory reviewers are making it seem like their reviews are more important than they are.

You use what's comfortable.  I've seen a lot of PS4 wireless reviews praising its glory.  But if the PS4 controller is anything size and feel wise like the PS3, then imo that's made for girl hands.  I need something with bulk and heft.

Relatedly, my Saitek P3000 came in but as fate would have it, none of the rechargeable battery packs you need work/are chargeable.  The internal batteries do not seem easily found and I'm getting my money back.  This is the 2nd wireless Saitek charger I got on ebay that didn't work out.  At least this guy gave me a full refund and basically said "keep it".

Shame. But nice score on the free controller.

I'm serious, get the Logitech. It's great. Solid like all Logitech hardware.

Not exactly doing me any good though.  I'm trying to get the casing off the battery packs to see if I can get the actual rechargeable batteries swapped out and this thing is harder to get into than my iphone was to replace my own battery in that.

I loved Logitech controllers for my original Xbox when I had it, but I really like the 6 button config on my Saitek and don't think I wanna drop down to 4 again.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:49 PM, Gordo said:

Not exactly doing me any good though.  I'm trying to get the casing off the battery packs to see if I can get the actual rechargeable batteries swapped out and this thing is harder to get into than my iphone was to replace my own battery in that.

Finally forced my way into these battery pack casings.  I don't know why they had to seal these.  I had to literally cut and hacksaw my way in.  I found similar batteries of the same voltage on ebay which should last even longer once fully charged (4 pack for only $5).  Once I got all the corrosion cleaned off the leads, it turned out I can now charge these puppies up and use this wirelessly.  I don't do a lot of gaming on my PC, but I can tell you with MVP, I don't notice any delay.  If I ever take this game to my family flatscreen TV, this will be a plus!

24 minutes ago, Gordo said:

Finally forced my way into these battery pack casings.  I don't know why they had to seal these.  I had to literally cut and hacksaw my way in.  I found similar batteries of the same voltage on ebay which should last even longer once fully charged (4 pack for only $5).  Once I got all the corrosion cleaned off the leads, it turned out I can now charge these puppies up and use this wirelessly.  I don't do a lot of gaming on my PC, but I can tell you with MVP, I don't notice any delay.  If I ever take this game to my family flatscreen TV, this will be a plus!

Nicely done!

Archived