Simulation game recommendation help, please

tinpanalley

I have a friend who's in his late 70s, very good with computers, and plays computer games all the time. Card games, trivia games, online casual games but he's a huge sports buff. So, I thought, he'll never play a game like The Show, but he would totally dig a game where he could load up his Yankees, and play a season like he was coaching from the dugout. I know for sure that the business stuff and finances would bore him to tears and he'd find it excessive. So I just wanted to find him a sitting in the dugout, calling plays in the game, kind of game experience if there was one. Maybe even without minors to make it simpler. I just want something where has a full MLB season ready to go, doesn't have to physically play it, but he can call every pitch and every at bat if he wants to, follow the season, perform transactions if he wants to keep the teams accurate. An historic element of classic teams would be cool too, but not crucial. Maybe it's a game that DOES have all the extra fantasy franchise stuff but it can be completely turned off? An online component would be fun as it would be cool to be able to play with him from time to time (he lives in another country).
Any thoughts?

Baseball Mogul comes to mind, but it might have the same problem as OOTP.

BTW: Too much stuff to do is the reason why I stopped playing Football(soccer) Manager games. I just wanted to be in-charge of lineups, signings and things like that, and next thing you know, you have to attend press conferences and stuff like that. Last time I played a game like that I spent about two hours on it and I didn't even get to 'play' a game.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have a play around with some of these. The range is annoying in non 1st person action games like MVP, The Show, etc. It's either ridiculously over the top complex like sit and decide what your star player is going to buy his kids for Christmas and which bank he signs up to when he moves to your town or the opposite extreme where it's swipe screen baseball with cartoons. All I need is RBI Baseball with heavy stats based play and not having to physically play the game. Like OOTP, with only the gameplay and season following mechanisms in place.

Archived