Mlb TV on smart TV

Schordese

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever experienced issues with MLB TV on their smart tv ? 

Just downloaded the app on my tv this morning with the intention of subscribing for the year and I get this friendly message :

" Due to enhancements in streaming technology, MLB.TV will no longer be available on older Samsung device models."

Old ?? It's five years old !   Hell,  I'd settle for standard definition if I could just watch it directly on my tv set. What a bummer...

I had that problem last year with my 2012 Panasonic Plasma TV. I ended up buying a Roku box for $49 (the model with an Ethernet port on it) and Connected that to the TV through the HDMI connection. The Roku box has wireless, but I ran an Ethernet cable directly from my router to it  so I could stream as fast as possible. The MLB.tv app and others I have work great on it. 

Yeah I've been reading a lot about this Roku, and the Apple tv box. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use HDMI, I got enough cables running all over the place but I guess it beats hooking it up to my ( old and probably obsolete and unsupported) laptop. I'll check it out, thanks Jim.

4 hours ago, Schordese said:

Yeah I've been reading a lot about this Roku, and the Apple tv box. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use HDMI, I got enough cables running all over the place but I guess it beats hooking it up to my ( old and probably obsolete and unsupported) laptop. I'll check it out, thanks Jim.

Fire Stick will suffice and they're currently $25

18 hours ago, Schordese said:

Roku also makes a streaming stick that works too. I bought one of those for the TV in our bedroom and have never had any connection or streaming issues with it when watching MLB.tv. 

I had been having periodic buffering issues with Netflix through the wi-fi connection on our main Smart TV, so that is why I got the other Roku box and ran the dedicated Ethernet connection to it. It's possible that the streaming stick would have worked fine, but I have no regrets on getting the bigger Roku box. 

Archived