Classic Pitch Meter Sample (Video)

Gordo

This is something you can employ offline or online.  This is a sample vs. the PC (LA Dodgers) vs. me (Houston Astros).   You can skip ahead to Verlander pitching to get an idea of human controlled pitching using the classic pitch meter.  But like I said, this can be done online as well as long as both parties are using the same files.

Sorry for the framerate.  My PC sucks at video capturing:

Something I found out about a while ago about modding one of the files within a big file.  I think it was kado who first did it on the Xbox datafiles.  I loved it when I first tried it and haven't looked back since.  It's in the simulation pack I put together a while back.

It does take a while to get used to it.  The guideline is pretty much when the pitch plants his foot forward, that's when the mark in the pitch meter hits the green zone.  Set up a game against the keyboard control on the opposite end so you can just pitch and focus on watching when the green mark is hit in relation to your foot planting or the ball releasing.  Everything else is the same.

Sure, here ya go.... sorry, as I didn't initially call it "simulation", so it probably  didn't show up in the search:

You can choose to only add the file that moves the pitch meter if you like everything else in your set up.  Always first  back up the files you're replacing.

And actually for online we discovered that if one guy likes the pitch meter and the other doesn't, you can mix and match as that file is not critical to stay synced online.  However, if you are the one playing without the pitch meter, he will not see it on his end and vice versa.

Yes, will do.

I have usually reduced the pitch meter difficulty to -30 (which makes the green zone smaller. The term difficulty is misunderstanding, since decreasing it makes it tougher, not increasing it). Without the pitchmeter I'll experiment which works best, so I might go to 0 again. Just doing it by feel and additionally having the green zone reduced might be a bit too tough. I simply want to create a bit more wildness, more walks and most of all a higher pitchcount for my starters earlier than it mostly is.

Oh, and an intiution in my guts, almost like a wispering voice, says it would be better to back up the original file first :-).

I may as well try it with -30 pitch meter though, additionally with it being invisible. Will test later today, but I would think that concentrating on the green zone in the pitch meter might be similar as concentrating on the pitcher planting his foot. might be less room for error of course, or greater chance of missjudging it, which would be cool. And of course no hint for how long the button has to be pressed before to load because of no visual. Looking forward testing this.

What I think you and those who try it will find is that you can get into and out of a groove the more you play with it.  Of course as the pitcher tires, you have to decide if you want to attempt more pitch effectiveness, but risk less control or vice versa.

Archived