Techy question about upgrading computer

tinpanalley

You'll have to know your specs to help me out on this one...

I'm currently running an i5-2400 within which I dual boot Windows 7 and 10 so that I can run Windows 7 for MVP and other games. I'm going to be upgrading to a Ryzen 3600 on a new motherboard as well. It hadn't occurred to me for one second (and it wouldn't have stopped me from upgrading my system if I'm being honest because I needed to upgrade) but will the new CPU and motherboard even run Windows 7?? Does anyone have any clue? If not, what are my options?

Any help would be awesome.

if your stay with something the seventh generation or its equal to that family generation cpu's you'll be fine. its 8th and now 9th generation cpus that that no longer support windows 7,

but i believe if you move to windows  8 you can run mvp there, then this restriction might not be be an issue. 

i do 8th generation and equal cpus doesnt support windows 7 and lower os. part of it windows support is longer there at the end of this year, hence cpu change support matches it for future. ie 8th gen and up cpu's.

hope this helps

1 minute ago, mcoll said:

if your stay with something the seventh generation or its equal to that family generation cpu's you'll be fine. its 8th and now 9th generation cpus that that no longer support windows 7,

but i believe if you move to windows  8 you can run mvp there, then this restriction might not be be an issue. 

i do 8th generation and equal cpus doesnt support windows 7 and lower os. part of it windows support is longer there at the end of this year, hence cpu change support matches it for future. ie 8th gen and up cpu's.

hope this helps

Ok, well, I'm going to a Ryzen 3600 on a B450 motherboard. So, AMD not intel. I'm not sure what gen that corresponds to.

Also, when I run Windows 7, is MVP using my GPU at all? Or just running off the computer's own processing?

im not sure about the corresponds to for cpus, i haven looked it in awhile. i know if you do a search you can find the generations. ive done that before. mvp is so hold i not using much memory at all. i dont think you'll have worry about it.

its possible. yes. just match the cpu and ram to the board your looking at. five years could be hard find something, but i'd give it a try.

it you find a board that run i5-2400. and ram you have or get ram that work on that board you'll be good to go. ram for fir it shouldn't be to costly without knowing what you have.

usb drivers can be delt with, but a pain. forgot that.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Baytrail-Industrial-Fanless-Computer/dp/B01GZUQNAO/ref=sr_1_106?crid=1FCNHO1IIC41Z&keywords=windows+7+computer&qid=1570843920&sprefix=windows+7+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-106

this supports windows 7 8 and 10. more ram than you'd need for windows 7 and still good amount for the other os. given the 128gb drive, but if all your doing is windows 7 and a few games should be enough, if you want to go that way or search for something like that. just a thought

Yeah, I'm literally only doing this to run MVP, High Heat, FIFA 14, and a couple of NHL games.

But right now, I'm fearing that I may not have any way of making it work. With no case for the current very large ATX motherboard, and no  luck finding a small mobo for my CPU, I'm at a bit of a standstill. Plus, I still don't know if the game will run without my GPU in there. I imagine it only needs directx from the system but I don't know that for sure.

Virtual systems don't work for MVP do they?

virtual dont do will for games. i dont think you really to need to worry that much about gpu issue. if you get small mobile or something, there cards designed for it, plus the amount of ram uesde by games around that time is small for games maybe 512mb. ram itself probably ist that expensive , specially because you likely only would need about 8gb given windows 7. 

2 hours ago, Kccitystar said:

Find the system recommendations for your latest game (sounds like Fifa 14), and build to that specification.

Micro-ATX boards for the LGA1155 chip you have can be a little pricey nowadays though.

Darn... that's a shame.

And virtual machines definitely don't work for running MVP right?

Archived