MVP 2005 crashes on start button on windows 7

kikikopa

I've got a Dell laptop with a Radeon Pro graphics card running windows 7.  The game installed fine and starts as administrator through the initial videos and music screens up until the screen with Manny where the start button is.  At that point, when I click the start button, it crashes to a box with an error message that it can't continue.  I tried adjusting some of the settings for the graphics card and tried the different compatibility modes but that doesn't help.  Not sure what else could be the problem that keeps it from actually playing.

Any suggestions to get it past the crash point?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, kikikopa said:

I've got a Dell laptop with a Radeon Pro graphics card running windows 7.  The game installed fine and starts as administrator through the initial videos and music screens up until the screen with Manny where the start button is.  At that point, when I click the start button, it crashes to a box with an error message that it can't continue.  I tried adjusting some of the settings for the graphics card and tried the different compatibility modes but that doesn't help.  Not sure what else could be the problem that keeps it from actually playing.

Any suggestions to get it past the crash point?  Thanks.

Where did you download the game from?

I have not added any mods and the installation is from the original discs that I bought new back in the day.  I used to play it with my son all the time when I had an XP based desktop but that is long gone.  It's a real teaser because it starts fine and goes through it's sequences up until the screen with Manny that has the start button.  That's where the disappointment begins because I can't get past that point to actually play the game.

1 hour ago, kikikopa said:

I have not added any mods and the installation is from the original discs that I bought new back in the day.  I used to play it with my son all the time when I had an XP based desktop but that is long gone.  It's a real teaser because it starts fine and goes through it's sequences up until the screen with Manny that has the start button.  That's where the disappointment begins because I can't get past that point to actually play the game.

you mind listing a screenshot of your error message and laptop specs?

sounds like it crashes as soon as the game technically runs, try changing the graphics api using a graphics wrapper, I used this to get my game running on windows 10 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS8ckTnQB1A&t=1s

https://www.mvpmods.com/forums/topic/57332-the-mvp-2005-and-windows-10-thread/?do=findComment&comment=709388

Edited by ikz

Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone that took the time to post to help me out. 

I did get it working by reinstalling Windows 7 on my giant Dell M6600 laptop.  I looked through some previous posts and saw one that talked about a MS update that could possibly be causing the starting issue like the one I had.  I reviewed the installed updates and there were so many that I figured it would be easier to just start from scratch.  MS doesn't support Windows 7 anymore and as far as I'm concerned, I don't need their updates.  I also found out that MS deleted thousands of updates for products that decided that they wouldn't support any more.  I was fortunate to find a deleted KBB update on a website that archived old MS updates and it was a critical one  that I needed for the Dell drivers to install.  Without it I'd be stuck like a duck. Thank God for that website that they had the foresight to do that because if you follow a link from an older support blog to MS it says the file doesn't exist anymore.  

Thanks again guys. It's now time to PLAY BALL!  BATTER UP!

Edited by kikikopa

1 hour ago, kikikopa said:

Thanks to everyone that took the time to post to help me out. 

I did get it working by reinstalling Windows 7 on my giant Dell M6600 laptop.  I looked through some previous posts and saw one that talked about a MS update that could possibly be causing the starting issue like the one I had.  I reviewed the installed updates and there were so many that I figured it would be easier to just start from scratch.  MS doesn't support Windows 7 anymore and as far as I'm concerned, I don't need their updates.  I also found out that MS deleted thousands of updates for products that decided that they wouldn't support any more.  I was fortunate to find a deleted KBB update on a website that archived old MS updates and it was a critical one  that I needed for the Dell drivers to install.  Without it I'd be stuck like a duck. Thank God for that website that they had the foresight to do that because if you follow a link from an older support blog to MS it says the file doesn't exist anymore.  

Thanks again guys. It's now time to PLAY BALL!  BATTER UP!

I'm glad you are able to play the game and you are really going to enjoy it. Can you do us all a favor and make a topic and post the website where you found those old Microsoft updates? Someone may get use out of that. Thank you. Enjoy your games.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Yankee4Life said:

I'm glad you are able to play the game and you are really going to enjoy it. Can you do us all a favor and make a topic and post the website where you found those old Microsoft updates? Someone may get use out of that. Thank you. Enjoy your games.

https://legacyupdate.net/download-center/

1 hour ago, Jim825 said:

I was suddenly reminded of this thread that is pinned in the MVP2005 Support Forum:

I’m wondering if this was the cause of your startup problem. 

It wasn't although I did have to login as admin to get it to load initially.  Don't have to do that now though.

Edited by kikikopa