Pitching grips and how to throw etc...

Kccitystar

I'm currently learning how to throw a cutter, however it's hard for me because I got big stubby fingers and stubby hands....

any tips or a grip that I can throw the ball successfully with?

I've mastered the curveball, but I'm working on that cutter.

I am not answering your question but I got a question of my own, how to throw a effective curveball that break horizontally with the arm up. I can throw a vertical curve with kind of a side-arm delivery(which is not my usual delivery). I got my slider, splitter and circle-change down, I just need that pitch to sneak up in the zone.

I figured this would be a popular thing: how to throw certain pitches.

Link

Some good pictures there showing how to throw various fastball variations.

hongfu_chen, a horizontal curve is usually just a slider if it doesn't make much vertical movement. There is also a halfway variation called the slurve which usually has the vertical movement of the curve and the horizontal movement of the slider, but it can vary depending on how it's thrown.

You might find the links on this page useful. :)

but a curve can be thrown with both horizontal and vertical break and be nothing more than just a curve. Most curves in real life actually break this way because only a few pitchers achieve a truly over-the-top delivery.

If you're wanting just horizontal movement, then yes its a slider, gain drop by taking off velocity or changing arm slots.

Anyway, when I played, I threw two different gripped curves. one was with the seam of the horse shoe ( less break, more of a bend you could say), the other was just a 2-seam fastball grip with with wrist snap added with finger pressure. I had a pretty solid curve using the 2-seam grip and really snapping my wrist, gaining the break I think you're wanting with an overhand delivery. The break was quick, and usually dropped low and away. I'm a right hander that pitched on 3rd base side of the rubber. What you have to watch out for is not cocking your wrist too much,...man this is hard to describe without showing someone. I learned way back in the day with the snap technique and "pointing" drill.

A kid on my team (13) has a sicker cureball then Barry Zito had in his prime.

Just say he was facing a right hand batter.

It went up like a cureball at the batters face...then at the last second while cossing home plate it made an amazing drop. I dont even think i was a curve ball. He pitched a perfec game mostly thwoing that pitch. O yea and lucky me got to catch him.

I know I can't throw my breaking pitches too often and I'm 17 years old. I only throw one breaking pitch (a slider) but I can't do it that often. It's really weary on the elbow and usually wind up icing it. That's why I current throw 3 narrow pitches (4-seam, sink, change) and 1 breaking ball.

• 1 month later...

Ive blown out my arm countless times, the key to making your arm stronger is to try different pitches, even if your arm goes out. Just dont pitch or even throw (if its that bad) for 3-7 days and your arm will feel back to normal. Im 13 and I throw a curve basiclly 2-5 times a game and a slider 5-10 times. Its good to try new things so you have experience when you are older. One or two pitches isin't going to wreck your arm. If you insist on throwing a breaking ball, wait for a few mins. between each breaking ball. Example:

pitch 1: fb

2: change

3:fb

4:fb

5:fb

6:change

7:fb

8:change

9:change

10: breaking pitch

Thats pretty much what I do. Hope this helps.

Archived