There Must Be An Easier Way...

BallFour

This isn't a cry for modding help. Maybe mental help, but not modding help. I've recently set about the task of trying to move a stadium jumbotron, which has become more of an ordeal than I expected. Basically, I took one that would be "close enough", used OrdTools to open the sucker in Oedit, then proceeded to spend the next three hours trying to get things perfect so that it'd line up and everything. And in order to preview it in the stadium, I would have to export the repacked jumbo ord files into the stadium.big, start a new game, check out the tron, then go back into Oedit for more tweaks, start a new game, turn the page, wash your hands.

So that was pretty much my morning and it's now time for me to get some sleep, but my rhetorical question is... is there an easier way to do this? I searched the forum using a custom Google search and got nothing. Long story short, I need a life. :p

8 hours ago, bctrackboi11 said:

What stadium are you working on?

I'm working on just getting a Jumbotron onto Alliance Bank Stadium. I'm basically doing it as a project just to test this out and see if I'm able to do it, so I won't be releasing it.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

not unless you've found a way to model stadiums with something else.  it's all i know that works.  have you tried mapping out the texture in oedit so you get an idea of what it looks like before you go look at it in game?

Yeah, I tried that. So I guess it's just patience, patience, patience. Ah well. I'm getting close. I noticed I was a bit off when I played a test game, so I've gotta move it back a bit more.

Oh snap, GAME CHANGER. I haven't played around much in Oedit, so I didn't realize there was a handy "Select" function that selects all four points of the rectangle. So rather than spending the better part of 2 days on the Alliance Bank/ P&C Stadium tron, it took me about 35 minutes to get a tron up at the Kingdome. I still needed to edit each of the four corners to get it just right, but yeah, game changer. Check it.

kingdome.jpg

8 hours ago, Homer said:

oh wow.  yeah if you weren't using that, i don't want to know how you were doing it.  the mapper also allows you to select very specific points.

I was clicking and dragging each individual point and hoping for the best. Hence 2 days on one project. Gah. Now I'm just having quite a time in Sean O's Fenway Park 1995 mod. I want to push the flagpole back out of the field of play, but I can't figure out which part it is in removable.o. It might be in mstadium.o, so that's my next big project now that I've got some of the basics down.

you might try looking at my cyberface tutorial.  there's a video in there about oedit that might give you some pointers on how to use some of the basic commands.  

it's tedious but a very simple program once you get the basics.  my favorite is the undo option.  that's why I always do a little at a time.

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2016 at 9:41 AM, BallFour said:

I was clicking and dragging each individual point and hoping for the best. Hence 2 days on one project. Gah. Now I'm just having quite a time in Sean O's Fenway Park 1995 mod. I want to push the flagpole back out of the field of play, but I can't figure out which part it is in removable.o. It might be in mstadium.o, so that's my next big project now that I've got some of the basics down.

Would love to help.... but I forgot. Good luck!

On 19/1/2016 at 9:41 AM, BallFour said:

I'm trying to remember my approach by the time I got to my final projects. I definitely used removable.o more than mstadium.o, since iirc removable.o was not subject to MVP's annoying tendency to remove items that were determined to be off screen. However, for some items, I would offload to one of the other .o files simply because my latter projects were so so gigantic and going past what was possible with the MVP engine.

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2016 at 6:47 PM, Sean O said:

I'm trying to remember my approach by the time I got to my final projects. I definitely used removable.o more than mstadium.o, since iirc removable.o was not subject to MVP's annoying tendency to remove items that were determined to be off screen. However, for some items, I would offload to one of the other .o files simply because my latter projects were so so gigantic and going past what was possible with the MVP engine.

Hey Sean O! Thanks for the reply. I'll do some more digging. Haven't had much time to mod lately, hence my own late reply, but thanks for the advice! I'll do some more poking around.