Best Pitched Game You Were Watching

JoeRudi26

Each of the following pitchers were as close to perfection as one could probably get, without actually achieving it. In other words, each pitcher had a perfect game through eight innings, two outs in the ninth inning, then it came to end.

Mike Mussina

Pedro Martinez

Two outs in the ninth, Carl Everett hits a single off Mike Mussina.

September 2, 2001.

I love the Boston/New York Rivalry

May 6, 1998....Kerry Wood pitched a 1-hitter in his 4th major league start....oh yeah, he also struck out 20 'Stros in that

game.

I watched that game too. Wood had a hook that could'a brought up the Titantic that day.

The Astros were just plain helpless. :?

Yeah, he also had that 100 mph fastball to go along with that huge breaking ball....then the injury in 1999 changed that.. :(

The thing that I remember most that day is this:

The look in Bagwell's eyes.

Total confusion. Or surprise. Or WHATEVER it was, he couldn't figure it out, (along with all the other Astros that day).

I love to watch a pitcher dominate. :)

I was baffled when I heard about Wood's feat, but didn't actually watch it. There have been 2 great pitched games that I have seen. One of them was Jose Jimenez's no hitter for the Cardinals in 1999 against Randy Johnson and the D-Backs. Randy Johnson only gave up 5 hits and had 14 strikeouts in a complete game 1-0 loss. The other best pitched game I have seen was this season when Mulder beat Clemens in the 10 inning 1-0 win by the Cards. Mulder only gave up 4 hits in all 10 innings. Clemens only pitched 7 innings, but got out of a few jams throughout the game. I'm old fashioned and love a pitcher's duel rather than a slugfest, so both games were a complete joy to watch.

I'm a Yankee fan and I had the liberty of witnessing the last three astounding pitching performances:

Doc Gooden's no hitter in '96 after missing a year due to drug related problems.

David Wells' perfect game in '98 while the Twins still had Hawkins starting.

David Cone's perfect game in '99 against the Expos and Javy Vazquez ( :lol: ).

randy johnson vs. mike hampton. most people forget that hampton pitched a complete game as well, only 2 runs given up, most times that's a win, but the braves couldn't put a man on base. :evil:

that game was embarrsing for us braves fans, put down in order like that. what was more embrassing was the fans cheering for randy to get him perfecto instead of eddie trying to win the game. if eddie and furcal got on base, there was a chance a home run ends the game and the braves would have won...but no, eddie had to strike out. :(

I was at todays Astros / Braves game.

Hampton was on fire, 2 hitter, but from my seat it should have been a 1 hitter.

Heck yes that was an awesome game, Hampton really topped it off with a solo jack of his own. I was also fortunate enough to attend this game.

randy johnson as a mariner in person -old arlington stadium. struck out 24, they ended up pulling him in the 9th i believe and the rangers won by 1. can't remember the year.

best pitched game i've seen in person was Atlee Hammaker taking a perfect game into the 8th inning against the Reds in the early 80s, only to have Johnny Bench end it with a double....hey at least it wasn't a bloop hit or an infield single or some scrub trying to bunt his way on base.

Best one I've seen in person was my one and only trip to Turner Field, Rick Reed 3-hit the Braves and won easily, 7-1. Ironically, the next two Twins games I attended he started, giving up two but losing to Esteban Loaiza (who scattered in the neighborhood of 6 hits), and then giving up two to beat Tim Hudson, who had given up 5 in the first, 3 of those unearned.

best one I've seen in person had to be Pedro's 6 inning no-hit relief appearance in Cleveland, where he enabled the Sox to go on and win that game and the series. That was also on short rest and while sick, so that had to be definitely the gutsiest performance I've ever witnessed.

Best I've watched was that as well, but watched on TV had to be the 17K performance that Pedro had against New York. That was just rediculous.

• 1 month later...

I saw Tom Glavine's one-hitter last year.... I really want to make it a 'goal' in my life to actually attend a no-hitter. A No-hitter is the biggest thrill in baseball, though it feels like **** when it happens against you. (Especially by Oswalt + 5 relief pitchers. :cry: )

I was at an Esteban Loaiza shutout once. No kidding, they do exist.

HOLY ****. Was Loaiza on the White Sox or another team? If with another team, you get bonus points.

The cool thing about the Glavine 1 hitter is that is was a Hat Day, I still have the 'American Flag' Mets hat. What a cool day.

HOLY [naughty word]. Was Loaiza on the White Sox or another team? If with another team, you get bonus points.

The cool thing about the Glavine 1 hitter is that is was a Hat Day, I still have the 'American Flag' Mets hat. What a cool day.

LMAO :lmao:

• 1 month later...

I don't live anywhere near Houston, so I didn't "see" it, but I was listening on the radio to the game where Oswalt was injured in the second inning, and the Astros bullpen -- Pete Munro, Kirk Saarloos, Brad Lidge, Octavio Dotel and Billy Wagner -- combined to no-hit the Yankees for the rest of the game. T'was impressive.

--Eric

• 1 month later...

Archived