Total Portraits for Total Classics W.I.P.

Jim825

I wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know that I'm making good progress on adding portraits for all Classic teams to the portrait.big file. As of this morning, I have completed 60 of the 90 teams in Total Classics Phase 2 (1085 total portraits so far). I'm hoping to have all 90 teams finished sometime this week (no guarantees).

This may change, as other things in life take higher precedence (e.g. tomorrow is my youngest daughter's 11th birthday), but I'm working to get this done as soon as possible.

For the portraits, I have been using AlexTony's Classic Pics download as well as portraits that were in the MVP2004 Total Classics package.

I have come across a few teams that I could not find portraits for (i.e. they do not exist in AlexTony's files or MVP2004 Total Classics). Currently, the '61 Senators, '62 Angels and '66 Astros do not have portraits. If anyone has portraits for these teams, send them my way and I'll add them.

I'll update this thread as I make more progress or if I find other teams without portraits. Does it make sense to make thread a "sticky"? If so, can one of the moderators do whatever is necessary to make the thread sticky?

Jim,

How will the installation on this work? I assume that there obviously is a new portrait.big file, and that we will also need to download another version of TC2 with the correct portrait IDs in them that you have added.

I only ask because I have tweaked/changed some of the classic teams for pitching delivery. trajectories, appearances, etc...and I just want to know how much work I have ahead of me for my own personal use!

jim is also using the audio id's i am giving some of the players. the pics/audios

will connect whenever the chance permits

of course we are working on trying to add to the roughly 350 audios that make

up the classic audio v1 now. this can only be done via new announcements and/or

retrievial work (which i have not figured out yet) from mvp 03 & 04

anyone with the ability to retrieve .dat files from the:

MVP2004dataaudiocdspch_pbppbpdat.big please let me know.

as this will help make a difference

just send me a private message

Tony3 has done a few but time and priorities make it hard,

as he has helped out alot in this process

i think that having real faces in the game will make it better for people like me. i may not know 90 pecent of the players but atleast i have a new game (tc) with realistic faces. my thing is this=i don't know how to use biggui or mvpedit so i hope that the installation will be easy for idiots like me. ok ok, dummies like me.

ah, if u guys want,we can release a Phase 2.5

i got a few things i fixed up too, like uniforms here and there. And getting the file down from 200 megs to about half the size.

so when jim or tony are ready,let me know and we'll release a 2.5 and take it from there.

Jim,

How will the installation on this work? I assume that there obviously is a new portrait.big file, and that we will also need to download another version of TC2 with the correct portrait IDs in them that you have added.

I only ask because I have tweaked/changed some of the classic teams for pitching delivery. trajectories, appearances, etc...and I just want to know how much work I have ahead of me for my own personal use!

My plan was to include the portrait.big file as well as a set of updated roster files. As I said in one of my other posts, so far I've had to modify the portrait IDs in 59 of the 90 teams for a number of reasons:

a. To resolve portrait ID conflicts

b. Some rosters had portrait IDs of 0 for every player

c. To use some of the IDs in AlexTony's audio mod.

As far as installation, my rather simple-minded plan for this was to include a readme telling people where to extract the files to. :)

i think that having real faces in the game will make it better for people like me. i may not know 90 pecent of the players but atleast i have a new game (tc) with realistic faces. my thing is this=i don't know how to use biggui or mvpedit so i hope that the installation will be easy for idiots like me. ok ok, dummies like me.

I like having the portraits, because it allows me to re-live my youth with the teams I grew up with in the 70's.

As far as the installation, if you can copy files, you'll be able to install the mod. :D I'm doing all the work of installing the portraits with MVPEdit, so others won't have to. It's a long process, but I think it will be worth the effort in the end.

Jim825, I have done a lot of trades creating MLB teams made up from the best of the Classics teams. Will I have to redo all of these with the new files you're uploading? Or will the portraits transfer to the players no matter where they were moved to?

Jim825, I have done a lot of trades creating MLB teams made up from the best of the Classics teams. Will I have to redo all of these with the new files you're uploading? Or will the portraits transfer to the players no matter where they were moved to?

u might have to save in game, like u know, .sav files, and when u download future versions, just load up the sav..

but u know what, i might be wrong.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to redo your trades. :cry: If all I had to do was to add portraits to the portrait.big file, then your rosters would have worked fine. The problem here is that I had to modify the portrait IDs for players on many of the teams (reasons listed above).

My portrait file will work with your rosters. You will just have instances where the wrong portrait is displayed when a player comes up to the plate (or when the defensive alignments are shown at the start of the game).

don't put out a 2.5. it is too much trouble. for you guys. if there will be faces in 3.0, and audio, and it comes where it is installed when we run the installation process, just wait till 3.0. it is worth waiting for.

u might have to save in game, like u know, .sav files, and when u download future versions, just load up the sav..

but u know what, i might be wrong.

I don't think this will work because the portrait IDs in the .sav file may not correspond to the portraits in the portrait.big file.

don't put out a 2.5. it is too much trouble. for you guys. if there will be faces in 3.0, and audio, and it comes where it is installed when we run the installation process, just wait till 3.0. it is worth waiting for.

I would vote to have a v2.5, mainly so that people can get the updated portraits sooner. Since v3.0 will add 30 more teams, I will need the time to add portraits for those 30 teams as well.

If there won't be a v2.5, then I'll release the portraits and updated rosters so that everyone can use them with Total Classics v2.

For what it is worth I vote for 2.5 also-would love to see the portraits and 15 of the new classics

I don't think that a v2.5 release would add any new classic teams, just my Total Portraits changes (rosters tweaks, portraits), AlexTony's audio files and Fuzz' changes (tweaked uniforms, smaller installation package size).

Unfortunately, you will probably have to redo your trades. :cry: If all I had to do was to add portraits to the portrait.big file, then your rosters would have worked fine. The problem here is that I had to modify the portrait IDs for players on many of the teams (reasons listed above).

My portrait file will work with your rosters. You will just have instances where the wrong portrait is displayed when a player comes up to the plate (or when the defensive alignments are shown at the start of the game).

Small price to pay and well worth it. I greatly appreciate all your hard work. The portraits add so much to the classic experience. Without that, it's really mostly just names. (Not to take anything away from all the hard work preceding yours from the Classics team). Looking forward to getting the upload. And I agree that you should upload before classics 3 comes out.

Latest update - 76 teams done, 14 to go.

I came across 6 more teams without portraits:

'49 Dodgers (used 9 portraits from the '55 Dodgers)

'61 Reds

'62 Red Sox

'63 White Sox (used a few from the '59 White Sox)

'64 Cubs (used a few from the '69 Cubs)

'64 Orioles (used a few from the '70 Orioles)

These 6 teams are being counted as done (unless I get or find photos). I'll continue with these tonight after work.

Latest update - 80 teams done, 10 to go

AlexTony sent me some portraits for the '49 Dodgers and '64 Orioles, so I was able to add portraits for those teams. In addition, he sent me some new audio IDs for the upcoming v2.0 version of his great audio mod. I went through the roster files to pull in these IDs in. This meant that for every ID I updated, I had to remove the portrait for the old ID, change the ID to the new version, and then reload a portrait for the new ID. I did this to make sure that I don't have any unused portraits taking up space in the portrait ID file (I'm being very frugal with the portrait file :D )

Finally, as I was testing my portrait updates by starting up the game, I noticed that the records for the teams were displayed incorrectly. For example, the 1998 Yankees finished with a record of 114-48, but when the game starts up, it displays their record as 80-64.

I went to www.retrosheet.org to get the proper records for all 90 classic teams, opened up the tstat.dat roster file with a text editor and manually edited the won - lost record for each team. I verified that the proper records are now displayed in the game. I will be including this updated version when I release my roster update with the Total Classics portrait.big

While doing this, I did find a bug in MVPEdit that I want to make you aware of, in case you decide to edit rosters after I release the Total Portraits package (rosters + portrait.big file).

After editing the tstat.dat file, I needed to make a few edits in MVPEdit. After exporting the files, I looked at the tstat.dat file and noticed that it had reverted the team records in tstat.dat back to their previous values (i.e. the '98 Yankees once again had a record of 80-64).

Luckily, I had made a backup of my tstat.dat file, so I didn't have to reenter the data for all 90 teams again. Thee moral here is that if you plan to edit these roster files after I release them (this is especially important for the Phase 3 guys), backup the tstat.dat file first!

I've entered the homestretch and hopefully will be able to release these within the next day or so. :D

all sounds good but the audios for v2 will not be in the 'TC' v2.5 yet. all from

'TC audio v1 ' WILL be if you have changed the audio files. it is going to take a

little while to add a few more names. as always there are road blocks, etc.

when attempting to add to the total picture

kudos to jim825 for all of his hard work with adding the portraits.

hopefully, for audio v2 we will be able to add to the total and get the number in

the 4-500 range. patience is needed to go along with the efforts

Archived