The Return of the Big Red.......

Lual

Game 4: Philadelphia Phillies (70-57) @ Cincinnati Reds (67-59)

Heart'Break'!

ga127.jpg

Above: Zambrano takes a fastball back at him, ending his season. Right: Alfonseca cracks as the Phillies finish off the Reds!

Somehow the onfield action seemed to pass by the fans today, as the drama in the early innings knocked the stuffing out of everyone in a packed GABP.

Carlos Zambrano a hero in Cincinnati for his efforts this season, took a line drive to the shin, leaving him in agony collapsed on the mound. Trainers instantly went out to help Carlos, and he left the field on a stretcher to a huge ovation from the loyal Reds fans. (A scan later confirmed a fractured leg, and the end of Carlos season)

Back on the field, the Reds managed to grind out a 3-1 lead going into the 9th inning, on the back of a total bullpen pitching effort, and a pair of solo shots from Dunn and Casey. Lights out Closer Alfonseca came in to finish things off, but it wasnt to be.

Alfonseca instantly gave up 2 singles, then seemed to get out of the jam with 2 quick outs (foul pop & strikeout) before disastor. Bobby Abreu 'All Star Homerun King' lined up a fastball, and sent it deep into the GABP crowd. The silence was defeaning, the Reds had blown a 3-1 lead to trail 4-3 with just an inning remaining.

Nothing came of the Reds last 3 ABs, leaving them empty handed from a 4 game home series. They thought it was all over....it is now.

The Reds season heads off to Florida then Atlanta for 7 games on the road to end August, but with their season and rotation now in tatters, expectations are at an all-time low.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Everyone is down at the moment. The on field problems seem to have been compounded with Carlos' injury. He was a huge part of the locker room, and his loss will have such a big impact on everything we do"

Zambrano: "Gutted, this is just too much for me right now..."

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Hill - 2/4

Dunn - 1/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Casey - 1/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Molina - 1RBI

Pitching:

Zambrano - 2I 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.09ERA

Spooneybarger - 2I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K 0HR 4.68ERA

Marte - 3I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 1HR 2.57ERA

Brazoban - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 2.81ERA

Alfonseca - 0.2I 3H 3R 3ER 0BB 1K 1HR 1.62ERA L(1-1)

Jenks - 0.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 9.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

PHI   4   8   0

CIN   3   8   1

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened Lual? You went back to the way you were playing the first season, come on, you can still take the WildCard!!!

I think Lual's Reds Dynasty is great, because he's playing "straight up". So many people start a dynasty with a average or poor team, make unrealistic trades, and use sliders to thier advantage. His dynasty is so refreshing. Ups and downs like real life. Realistic (as possible) stats. I've been following for months now. Great stuff.

I think Lual's Reds Dynasty is great, because he's playing "straight up". So many people start a dynasty with a average or poor team, make unrealistic trades, and use sliders to thier advantage. His dynasty is so refreshing. Ups and downs like real life. Realistic (as possible) stats. I've been following for months now. Great stuff.

cheers lads - its good to hear people are still reading along :)

tbh im struggling big time atm - ive hit a spate of minor injuries, now followed by the loss of Zambrano (which has ripped a hole in my pitching)

ive got 35 games to claw back the 3.5 game lead of Philly in the Wildcard - its not over, but theres alot of hard work ahead - especially now my rotation is missing its ace :(

if i fail - well theres 2007 to get it right.......

thanks again for checking in :wtg:

it looks like you need some good bullpen help. alfonseca closing? i wonder if any of his pitches are rated at 90 or higher anymore. but i am loving your dynasty thread and the whole setup of it. great job! Im in the middle of my 1st year dynasty (SF Giants) and i have a thread right below yours.

i have benitez and 2 other relievers with ERA's under 3 so with a lead after 6 im almost assured of the W

Upcoming Series: 3 Games @ Florida Marlins

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds (67-60) @ Florida Marlins (64-63)

Marlins Avoid Reds Bait!

ga128.jpg

Above: Marlins Stadium draws a decent crowd for this matchup, Right: Miley is not the happiest of managers in baseball today!

Florida inflict the Reds 5th straight loss, as they eased home 6-0 behind the pitching of starlet Valdez, who moves to 13-3 on the year.

Offensively the Reds could only manage 3 hits all game, and posed no threat to the Marlins scoreboard. On the other hand, Cabrera and Delgado both went yard, as Brandon Claussen got clobbered for 6 runs in his 5 innings pitched, to take his 9th loss of the campaign.

Any more performances like this and the Reds might as well wave the white flag now, not a night to be proud of your team.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Where was my offense tonight? Its not a good night to talk to me, we just caved in too easy out there"

Dominguez: "Its good to get the call from the big club, im ready for this and will show what the team missed while i was in AAA"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pitching:

Claussen - 5I 8H 6R 6ER 1BB 2K 2HR 4.78ERA L(12-9)

Parrish - 3I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K 0HR 3.13ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   0   3   0

FLA   6   9   0

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds (67-61) @ Florida Marlins (65-63)

Tooth 'N' Nail!

ga129.jpg

Above: Mo' cracks another 2 homers on route to the win, Right: Brazoban seals it with a strike!

Phew, you could see the expressions all over the Reds bench as Brazoban finished off the Marlins after nearly throwing the game away.

10 innings of tough baseball, saw the Reds lead 2-1 going into the 9th. Damaso Marte was given the ball for the final inning, but with 1 out on the board, he left one high in the zone for Lo Duca to slam into the crowd to tie it a 2.

The Reds seemed to spur themselves on after this setback, and put together a 4 run 10th inning, including a 2 run blast from Willy Mo' (his 2nd of the night).

Brazoban who completed the 9th without any damage, then set about finishing things off in the 10th. A single run did cross the plate, but he kept things together and finally striked out the final batter to clinch a 6-5 win for the fighting Reds.

Reds Talk:

Marte: "Yeah im relieved the team dug me out of the hole, i cant believe Lo Duca hit that shot, but we got the win and thats what counts"

Brazoban: "Im finding it tough controlling the nerves at times out there. Every game is so clutch for us, its putting us under alot of pressure"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Hill - 2/4

Pena - 3/5, 2HR, 3RBI, 1 Triple

Griffey - 2/4, 1RBI

Betemit - 2RBI

Pitching:

Harang - 7I 7H 1R 1ER 0BB 6K 0HR 4.23ERA

Marte - 1.1I 1H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 1HR 2.64ERA

Brazoban - 1.2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 1K 0HR 2.9ERA W(2-3)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   6  11   0

FLA   3  10   2

Game 3: Cincinnati Reds (68-61) @ Florida Marlins (65-64)

1 Run Settles It!

ga130.jpg

Above: Casey and Dunn both go yard as the Reds get on the board!

Another dandy in Florida as the teams are seperated by 1 run, unfortunately for the Reds, its the Marlins who come out on top 6-5.

It had been a early Red lead of 3-2 that looked like taking the visitors through to the final. Then Parrish in the 6th inning gave up 4 runs in a rough spell, leaving the Reds chasing the game with just 9 outs remaining.

In a race against the clock, the Reds managed to jack 2 runs home via Casey and Dunn solo shots, but with a 6-5 defecit into the 9th, Hill, Lopez and Betemit all failed to get on base, giving Mota the save and the Marlins a big win.

Cincinnati now move on to Atlanta to face the NL East leaders, and will hope their patched up rotation of Gardner, Claussen, Harang and Dominguez can do the business against some of baseballs best.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "I wanted 4 wins from these 7 road games, these results now leave us needing a series win in Atlanta, and thats a tough call"

F.Lopez: "Its getting there, im back in the lineup, but i need to start contributing as this team needs to get the wins"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Hill - 2/5, 1 Double

Dunn - 2/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Casey - 3/4, 1HR, 1RBI

J.Lopez - 2RBI

Pena - 1RBI

Pitching:

Dominguez - 3I 3H 2R 2ER 0BB 0K 1HR 6.95ERA

Parrish - 3I 5H 4R 4ER 0BB 2K 0HR 3.46ERA

Kline - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.17ERA

Jenks - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 8.25ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5  11   0

FLA   6   9   1

it looks like you need some good bullpen help. alfonseca closing? i wonder if any of his pitches are rated at 90 or higher anymore. but i am loving your dynasty thread and the whole setup of it. great job! Im in the middle of my 1st year dynasty (SF Giants) and i have a thread right below yours.

i have benitez and 2 other relievers with ERA's under 3 so with a lead after 6 im almost assured of the W

cheers for checking in :wtg:

my pitching does need some help, but with the trade deadline gone, im pretty much stuck with what i have.

as for Alfonseca, hes got his fastball in the 90s which is my get out pitch with him.....

good luck with your dynasty, hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine, and ill be keeping tabs on your story :)

Upcoming Series: 4 Games @ Atlanta Braves

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds (68-62) @ Atlanta Braves (75-55)

Brave Reds Fall!

ga131.jpg

Above: Griffeys back in the swing of things, Right: Miley inspects the damage after yet another loss!

The Reds yet again lacked a real offensive threat, as they were held to just 3 hits, in this agonising 3-2 loss to open the series in Atlanta.

Gardner pitched well enough to keep the Reds close, as he gave up 3 runs in his 4IP, handing the bullpen the chance to keep the Reds alive. Griffey and Javy Lopez then both homered in the 6th inning, as the Reds rallied back to 3-2 putting pressure on Braves starter Tim Hudson.

That was to be that though, as the Reds could only muster 1 more hit via Javy Lopez again, as they fizzled out to take the tight loss.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "We need to win these tight games, 1 run losses will hurt us down the stretch"

J.Lopez: "I had some good times here in Atlanta, so its good to come back, but the result is not what we needed"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Griffey - 1/2, 1HR, 1RBI

J.Lopez - 2/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Pitching:

Gardner - 4I 5H 3R 3ER 2BB 3K 0HR 4.98ERA L(2-5)

Spooneybarger - 3I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.29ERA

Marte - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 2.61ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   2   3   0

ATL   3   6   0

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds (68-63) @ Atlanta Braves (76-55)

Not So Claussy'!

ga132.jpg

Above: Ryan Freel came back into the lineup, and instantly makes a difference, Right: Willy Mo' again goes deep and is well on course for 50 homers this year!

Ryan Freel came back into the Reds lineup and instantly made an impact going 2/5 in the leadoff slot, but he couldnt prevent the Reds taking another loss as the Braves rode out 11-5 victors.

Brandon Claussens dramatic loss of form has been a major factor in the Reds slump since the All-Star break, as he yet again failed to deliver the goods, this time giving up 11 runs in his 5 innings of work.

The Reds did manage 15 hits and 3 homers in response to the Braves outburst, but although Pena and the 2 Lopez' went yard, the Reds could only get within 6.

A miracle is what the Reds now need to split the series and stay in touching distance of the playoff race.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Brandons form really has hurt us since the All-Star break, he cant seem to buy a win and its showing every time he goes out on the mound"

Dunn on Freel: "Ryans been a real leader in this clubhouse this season, so to lose him at a crucial part of the season was a tough hit. His return has lifted everyone, and its a big boost for us all both on and off the field to have him buzzing around again"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/5, 1RBI

F.Lopez - 2/5, 1HR, 1RBI

Pena - 2/5, 1HR, 2RBI

Dunn - 2/4

Hill - 2/4

J.Lopez - 2/5, 1HR, 1RBI, 1 Double

Claussen - 2/3

Pitching:

Claussen - 5I 11H 11R 10ER 1BB 2K 2HR 5.18ERA

Jenks - 3I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 5K 0HR 6.60ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5  15   2

ATL  11  11   0

Game 3:Cincinnati Reds (68-64) @ Atlanta Braves (77-55)

Glimmer Of Hope!

ga133.jpg

Above: Griffey hits his 22nd of the year, part of a Reds 7 run outlay, Right: Felipe Lopez makes the over the shoulder grab to end the game!

The Reds kept their slim playoff dreams alive with a solid 7-3 win against the Braves, as finally they reap the rewards of a stellar effort by a starting pitcher.

Harang put together 7 innings of work, where he gave up just a single run to set the Reds up for the win. His performance earned him his 15th win of the year, matching him with Reds Ace' Zambrano for the team lead.

At the plate Javy Lopez inflicted more damage on the Braves pitching as he hit a homer for the 3rd straight game, this time off Hanley Ramirez as the Reds put together 7 runs on the night.

Griffey and Casey also got in on the act, with homers of their own, add to that a solid outing from Marte and the Reds manage to hold on to a valuable win.

Further bad news for the Reds came their way via AAA Louisville, as Starting Pitcher Kyle Davies tore his right shoulder as he prepared to come back to the majors. This limits them in their options, and is yet another injury for this depleted staff to cope with.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "This win is much needed, but with the news that Kyle is now done for the season, you cant help but wonder if we are destined to miss the playoffs"

J.Lopez: "Im not sure if the Braves fans will like me much at the moment, ive gone 7/13 with 3 homers and 4RBIs in the series, its a shame thats only contributed to 1 win"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/5

Griffey - 2/4, 1HR, 3RBI

Dunn - 2/5

J.Lopez - 3/5, 1HR, 2RBI

Casey - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Pitching:

Harang - 7I 7H 1R 1ER 0BB 4K 0HR 4.12ERA W(15-6)

Brazoban - 1I 3H 2R 2ER 0BB 0K 1HR 3.25ERA

Marte - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 2.58ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   7  14   0

ATL   3  10   2

Game 4:Cincinnati Reds (69-64) @ Atlanta Braves (77-56)

Walking Away With It!

ga134.jpg

Above: Langerhans does the damage with his walkoff shot in the 11th, Right: Bobby Jenks is unconsolable after giving up the winning shot!

Bobby Jenks was the villian as the Reds lost a heart breaker in the 11th inning, as Ryan Langerhans proved to be the game winner with his walkoff shot to start the Braves inning.

This second 1 run defeat of the series will hurt even more for the Reds, as they took the lead, and then had more men in scoring position to put some insurance on the board.

Failure to do so eventually proved costly, as Andruw Jones tied it with a solo shot off Dominguez leaving the Reds to rue what might have been.

August is now in the books, and the Reds record is not pretty reading, a 9-18 month does not equate to playoff baseball.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Stats dont lie, and our RISP has been a big let down in many games, and tonight was just another example of how poor our hitting can be, when we actually need someone to step up"

Jenks: "I feel really low right now, its a bad way to go out, this loss really hurts everyone as we fought hard to try and split this series"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 3/5

Hill - 2/4

Griffey - 1RBI

Pitching:

Dominguez - 4I 3H 1R 1ER 0BB 4K 1HR 6.77ERA

Parrish - 3I 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K 0HR 3.34ERA

Kline - 3I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.04ERA

Jenks - 0I 1H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 1HR 7.20ERA L(0-2)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   1   9   0

ATL   2   7   0

huntoct.gif

After 5 months of exciting baseball, it all comes down to 1 month, one of sports greatest climaxes, as September is here and the 'Hunt for October' begins....

MLB - Break It Down:

American League:

AL West:

Oakland appear to have wrapped up their spot in the post-season, as they take an impressive 8 game lead into September. You can guarentee that Anaheim will fight to the last, but it will take a spectacular collapse from the A's to take the AL West out of their hands.

alwest.jpg

AL Central:

The tightest race in the Majors is currently be contested in the AL Central. 3 teams are seperated by less than 3 games, as the Tigers surprisingly hold a 1.5 game lead over the Indians. With Minnesota just 1 further game back, these 3 teams are set to clash head on with the in division action filling up the September schedule.

alcentral.jpg

AL East:

No surprises in the East this year, as the Yankees lead the way from the Red Sox (last years World Series Runners Up). Both teams are set for the playoffs, the Yankees hold a 1.5 game division lead, while Boston are a further 13 games ahead of Anaheim for the Wildcard slot.

aleast.jpg

AL Wildcard:

As mentioned, the Red Sox pretty much have this in the bag, as a 13 game lead over Anaheim is as good as it gets for this stage of the season.

alwild.jpg

huntoct.gif

Continued....

National League:

NL West:

Its all square in the NL West as the World Champions San Diego are tied with the Dodgers at the top of the division. Both sides sit on a .500 record, and neither can be fully confident of making the show, but you cant have a playoff series without the defending champs....could you?

nlwest.jpg

NL Central:

Chicago have come from behind to take this division by the scruff of the neck, leaving the Cardinals, Brewers and long time leaders the Reds, all scraping for a Wildcard place. The Cubs will need to stay on their game to seal the division, as a 5 game lead could easily be wiped out with the in division series ahead, whilst the Brewers, Cardinals and Reds will all look towards the Wildcard race as their ticket to the playoffs.

nlcentral.jpg

NL East:

Everyone has a better than .500 record here, and all teams can be considered contenders for a playoff place. Atlanta currently hold a 4 game lead over the Phillies, but no one can take anything for granted in this division.

nleast.jpg

NL Wildcard:

This race is wide open as we enter September, and realistically anyone from 8 teams could sneak this years Wildcard place.

The Phillies hold a slender 1.5 game advantage at this stage, but with the experience of the Cardinals on their tail, its not a comfortable lead to have.

Expect 1 side from the East and 1 from the Central to fight it out in the end, as the in division schedule is likely to kill a few teams off within the first weeks of the month.

nlwild.jpg

The Hunt for a 'Reds' October!

The Cincinnati Reds shouldnt really be in this position, a team that had raced away to one of the MLBs best records in the early months of the season, have seen their results collapse in dramatic fashion and they now face elimination from the Wildcard race.

Reds Highs & Lows:

April:  16-7 (3 games ahead)

May:	35-17 (2 games ahead)

June:   48-31 (1 game ahead)

July:   60-46 (0.5 games back)

August: 69-65 (8.5 games back)

Whats Left:

3 Games Home vs Washington Nationals(69-63)

3 Games Home vs New York Mets (70-63)

3 Games @ Pittsburgh Pirates (55-78)

3 Games Home vs Chicago Cubs (77-56)

4 Games Home vs Milwaukee Brewers (72-61)

3 Games @ San Francisco Giants (58-75)

3 Games Home vs Houston Astros (58-75)

3 Games @ Milwaukee Brewers (72-61)

3 Games @ St. Louis Cardinals (71-62)

Wrap It:

The Reds have a tough schedule, but its one that could work in their favor. 16 of their games are against other clubs fighting for the Wildcard place, giving the Reds an ideal opportunity to keep their destiny in their own hands.

16 of the remaining 28 are also home games for the Reds, another plus point for the team.

But even with these plus points, the Reds still lack a potent rotation, and will rely too much on their tired Bullpen to dig them out of holes.

Offensively the Reds can now field their strongest lineup with the returns of Freel and Felipe Lopez, and given consistency from the power hitters, this team could soon again damage opposing teams scorecards.

Its been a crazy roller-coaster ride of a season, but given last years dismal effort, all Reds fans will be pleased even to be considered contenders come September.

Yes it could have been more..... but it could also be so much.....

Upcoming Series: 3 Games Home vs Washington Nationals

Game 1: Washington Nationals (69-63) @ Cincinnati Reds (69-65)

The Boy Dunn' Good!

ga135.jpg

Above: Adam Dunn sends it high and deep, as he celebrates the walkoff win with Ryan Freel!

A see-saw battle came to a dramatic finale, as Adam Dunn hit a solo shot in the 9th to seal a walkoff 7-6 win for the Reds over Washington.

The Reds always had their noses in front, but constantly let the Nationals back in the game, and more crucially, Alfonseca gave up the tying run in the 9th, as the Reds looked to have blown an ideal chance to stay in the race.

Adam Dunn then came through with his bomb, giving the Reds fans something to go wild over. The ideal start for a tough series.

Willy Mo Pena also had a game of note, as he cracked his 47th homer, driving in 3RBIs, making that 300RBI for his career at the young age of 24.

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Game by game, thats how we will approach this month, and just hope we can get somewhere"

Alfonseca: "Adam dug me out of one there, its been a long tough season, my arms still in good shape, but i could be pitching better"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 3/4, 1HR, 3RBI, 1 Double

Dunn - 3/5, 1HR, 1RBI

Casey - 3/4, 1HR, 2RBI, 1 Double

Pitching:

Hernandez - 6I 9H 4R 4ER 0BB 5K 2HR 4.84ERA

Spooneybarger - 2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 1K 1HR 4.30ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 3H 1R 1ER 0BB 1K 0HR 1.84ERA W(2-1)

Box:

R   H   E

WAS   6  14   1

CIN   7  15   0

Game 2: Washington Nationals (69-64) @ Cincinnati Reds (70-65)

Nationals Wash' Away Reds!

ga136.jpg

Above: Freel keeps his average atop the MLB leadersboard, but cant prevent the heavy loss, Right: Betemits overthrow to 1st, costs the Reds!

After last nights dramatic finish, the Reds seemed to have lost their energy as the Nationals strolled to a resounding 10-1 win, handing Brandon Claussen his 11th loss in the process.

The Reds did put 10 hits on the board, and constantly had runners in threatening situations, but no one could deliver the crucial hit, leaving the Nationals to take full advantage to pick up the easy win.

Tomorrows rubber game will be key for both sides in their attempt to stay alive in the Wildcard race, fortunately for the Reds, their probable starter is 15 win man, Aaron Harang.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 8.5GB

Wildcard - 5GB

Reds Talk:

Miley: "People are calling for Don to go, but im backing him 100%. Hes great with the pitchers, and has put together a united front for the whole staff. Hes done his best with the resources we have, and im grateful for that"

Don Gullett: "We have had some real tough luck with our staff this year, injuries have played a big role in our struggles, but we know that with more consistent appearances on the mound, we could be leading this division right now"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/4, 1 Triple

Hill - 2/5, 1 Double

Betemit - 1RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 4.1I 6H 5R 5ER 0BB 2K 3HR 5.32ERA L(12-11)

Parrish - 1.2I 7H 4R 4ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.69ERA

Jenks - 3I 3H 1R 1ER 0BB 3K 0HR 6.50ERA

Box:

R   H   E

WAS  10  16   0

CIN   1  10   1

Game 2: Washington Nationals (70-64) @ Cincinnati Reds (70-66)

Javy's Day Not Enough!

ga137.jpg

Above: Juan Dominguez again fails to impress, Right: Javy Lopez slugs 3 homers but cant prevent the Reds defeat!

Javy Lopez has a day to remember at the plate, going 3/4 with 3 homers, but the Reds couldnt contain the Nationals offence and fell to a crushing 9-4 loss.

Juan Dominguez again failed to offer any substance on the mound for the Reds, as he gave up 5 runs in 3 innings on route to his 11th loss of the year. The bullpen didnt fair any better, giving up a combined 8 hits and 4 runs from the remaining 6 innings.

With the Reds now seemingly out of the playoff race, they announced a couple of roster adjustments to see them through to the end of the season.

Both Dominguez and RF Nick Markakis have been assigned to AAA Louisville, whilst SP Tyler Pelland (4-13W/L 3.36ERA 106K) and RP Jesse Hoover (0-0W/L 3.80ERA 51K) have both received the call to Cincinnati to play a role in the Reds bullpen.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 9.5GB

Wildcard - 6GB

Reds Talk:

Miley: "I think Juan's finished with this organisation. Hes continually failed to perform for us, and in some games, he hasnt even tried. We now face a real struggle to stay afloat in the Wildcard race"

J.Lopez: "Days like this dont happen often during a career, though its not something to remeber right now, as we took a beating again"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

J.Lopez - 3/4, 3HR, 3RBI

Pena - 2/4

Casey - 1/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Pitching:

Dominguez - 3I 8H 5R 5ER 0BB 0K 2HR 6.99ERA L(5-11)

Spooneybarger - 3I 2H 1R 1ER 1BB 2K 0HR 4.21ERA

Kline - 2I 6H 3R 3ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.32ERA

Jenks - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 6.16ERA

Box:

R   H   E

WAS   9  16   1

CIN   4   6   0

Upcoming Series: 3 Games Home vs New York Mets

Game 1: New York Mets (72-64) @ Cincinnati Reds (70-67)

Big Willy!

ga138.jpg

Above: Griffey gets on base as the Reds come through in the 8th, Right: A wild pitch eludes Piazza, just before Pena cranks another dinger to win the game!

8th inning, 1 run down, the Reds looked just about finished for 2006. Then Willy Mo stepped up to the plate, with 2 men on, and well you know the rest.... 415 feet later, the Reds lead 3-1 and can shutout the Mets to keep their season alive.

Pedro had shutout the Reds, dominating on the mound, before Willy Mo's shot left him reeling, and the Mets unable to recover. Harang himself had a big day, giving up just the 1 run and striking out 8, as he made sure the Mets never got to big a lead through the tough early innings.

Brazoban and Marte carved up the Mets lineup for the last 2 innings, giving the Reds a 3-1 win in a tense affair.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 8.5GB

Wildcard - 6GB

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Such a clutch hit from a young player, Willy is too mature for his age, and really can play some baseball. Maybe its too early to compare him to the greats, but this kid could end up in the hall"

Pena: "Skip told me to pick my pitch and swing it, they let me off the raines, and it paid off"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/4

F.Lopez - 2/4

Griffey - 2/4

Casey - 2/3

Pena - 1/4, 1HR, 3RBI

Pitching:

Harang - 7I 8H 1R 1ER 0BB 8K 1HR 4.01ERA

Brazoban - 1.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 3.15ERA W(3-3)

Marte - 0.2I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K0 HR 2.56ERA (Save 3)

Box:

R   H   E

NYM   1   8   0

CIN   3  10   0

Game 2: New York Mets (72-65) @ Cincinnati Reds (71-67)

Mets Draw Blank!

ga139.jpg

Above: Griffeys 2 run shot puts the Reds in control, Right: Bobby Hill stretches to nab the final out!

Another tense game at the GABP, this time the Reds squeak it 3-0, as the Mets offence is put to sleep by a all round pitching effort.

Hernandez got things off to a good start, giving up just 4 hits in his 6 innings pitched, leaving Steve Kline and then Antonio Alfonseca to finish off the Mets, with the latter earning his 26th save of the year.

The Reds themselves didnt offer too much at the plate, but when they connected they made it count, as Griffey slammed a 2 run shot over the centre wall, whilst Pena hit a solo shot, his 49th dinger of the year.

Claussen lines up against Victor Zambrano tomorrow for the final match of this homestand, as the Reds will be hoping for a sweep.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 8.5GB

Wildcard - 5GB

Reds Talk:

Miley: "This is exactly what we need, picking up wins in tight games will give us alot more confidence for the stretch"

Griffey: "Ive not got many more years left in me, so with the playoffs in touching distance, you have just got to bust a gut with every at bat and play in the field. Griffey needs a ring"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 2/3

Griffey - 1/2, 1HR, 2RBI

Pena - 1/3, 1HR, 1RBI

Pitching:

Hernandez - 6I 4H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 4.65ERA W(6-12)

Kline - 2I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.23ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.78ERA (Save 26)

Box:

R   H   E

NYM   0   6   1

CIN   3   6   0

Game 3: New York Mets (72-66) @ Cincinnati Reds (72-67)

New York 'Swept'!

ga140.jpg

Above: Molina hits a pinch hit RBI in the 8th to put the Reds back on top, Right: Cameron grounds to Freel, who makes no mistake in throwing him out to end the game!

The Reds chalk up a crucial series sweep, as they yet again squeeze past the Mets 3-1, thanks to a clutch pinch hit at bat by backup catcher Molina.

New York had tied it in the 8th inning, as they took advantage of some poor locations by Marte. Then Molina came into pinch hit for Marte in the 8th, and kept the Reds season going, as he blooped a single into right field, bringing home the lead run.

Ryan Freel added an insurance run to end the 8th, before Alfonseca wrapped up his 27th save of the year, leaving the Mets wondering 'What If' after a torturous series in Cincinnati.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 8.5GB

Wildcard - 5GB

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Pittsburgh next, ive told them all that the hard work is just beginning, this sweep keeps us alive, so we must make sure there are no mistakes at PNC Park"

Molina: "Im part of this team, i may be backup, but i still put in my shifts when needed, so it feels good to get some reward by driving in the lead run"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 3/5, 1RBI

Dunn - 2/4

Hill - 2/4

J.Lopez & Molina - 1RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 6I 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 5.13ERA

Marte - 1.2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 0HR 2.61ERA

Brazoban - 0.1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 3.13ERA W(4-3)

Alfonseca - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.73ERA (Save 27)

Box:

R   H   E

NYM   1   6   0

CIN   3  12   0

Archived