The Return of the Big Red.......

Lual

Game 2: Houston Astros (69-85) @ Cincinnati Reds (85-69)

Top of the Pile!

ga155.jpg

Above: Sean Casey impresses further with a 3 run homer, Right: Alfonseca racks up his 32nd save!

After another hard fought win, the Reds claim their place back on top of the NL Central, as the Chicago Cubs lose again to the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Reds can thank a 3 run homer from Casey, as well as a 1 run, 8IP effort from Orlando Hernandez, and not forgetting the 32nd save of the year for Alfonseca.

Houston had powered into a 1st inning 1-0 lead, thanks to Berkmans solo shot, that left the Reds wondering if this was to be their night. But it wasnt long until Pena's double drove home Felipe Lopez to tie it, and then 2 innings later, it was Casey who came through to slam his 3 run dinger, giving the Reds another important win.

Tomorrow is the last home game of the year for the Reds, they have sealed the series, but a sweep could make all the difference as the season comes to its climatic conclusion.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 0.5 Games Ahead

Reds Talk:

Casey: "We are so close to the playoffs, that failure now would leave the team and city heartbroken, we owe it to this organisation not to choke in the final week"

Pena: "Its nice to hear the press tout my name as a potential MVP winner. Theres alot of guys in this league that have had good years, so if i come out on top of Abreu, Beltran and the likes, i will be a proud man"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 2/4, 1 Double

Griffey - 2/4

Pena - 3/4, 1RBI, 1 Double

Casey - 2/3, 1HR, 3RBI

Pitching:

Hernandez - 8I 6H 1R 1ER 0BB 4K 1HR 4.40ERA W(9-12)

Alfonseca - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.65ERA (Save 32)

Box:

R   H   E

HOU   1   6   0

CIN   4  11   0

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game 3: Houston Astros (69-86) @ Cincinnati Reds (86-69)

Houston Spoil The Party!

ga156.jpg

Above: Casey comes up short in the field, Right: Pena swings and misses, a symbol of the Reds performance!

The Reds lose, but extend their lead on top of the division to 1 game, as the Cubs lose their makeup game.

Houston wrapped this game up pretty quickly, as Claussen was again taken apart, giving up 4 homers and 8 runs in a pitiful 4 inning showing. The Reds failed to get any real response against Clemens, and saw their offence fizzle out to just 8 hits and 2 runs in reply.

Theres just 6 games left in the season, the Reds go on the road to 2 challengers in the division, whoever can handle the pressure, will be taking their place in October for a shot at the World Series.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 1 Games Ahead

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Its a shame we couldnt end on a win here, but we cant argue with coming away from this series, 1 game clear of the Cubs at the top of the division"

Claussen: "It cant get much worse for me, it hurts to be the weaklink of this rotation"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 2/4, 1RBI, 1 Double

Hill - 2/3, 1RBI, 1 Double

Dunn - 2/3

Pitching:

Claussen - 4I 15H 8R 8ER 0BB 0K 4HR 5.35ERA L(13-13)

Parrish - 5I 2H 1R 1ER 1BB 3K 0HR 4.22ERA

Box:

R   H   E

HOU   9  17   0

CIN   2   8   0

Upcoming Series: 3 Games @ Milwaukee Brewers

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds (86-70) @ Milwaukee Brewers (83-73)

Brewers Downed!

ga158.jpg

Above: Dunn's 2 run shot put the Reds in front, Right: Every run counts in this tight affair!

A vital clash at Miller Park, saw the Reds steal a 5-2 win over the Brewers, putting a dent into the Brewers playoff dreams, whilst further enhancing their own chances to move 2 games clear at the top of the division.

Adam Dunn and Sean Casey did the main damage, as both hit homers, their 38th and 40th of the season respectively. The Reds were grateful for a solid 5 innings from starter Richie Gardner, and also some stellar work from the bullpen, as they contained the Brewers offence, to hold them at 2 runs.

The Reds now have a 2 game lead in the division, with just 5 games to go, its still very tight and any slip ups could prove costly.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 2 Games Ahead

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Its going to be tough to clinch the division on the road, and its not just against poor teams, we have the Brewers and Cardinals, who both have legit chances of making the playoffs too"

Casey: "Its such a close race, that if we can take 2 from the Brewers, they should be out of our hair. But then we still need to keep an eye on Chicago and St. Louis"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 2/3, 1RBI

Dunn - 2/4, 1HR, 2RBI

Casey - 1/4, 1HR, 1RBI

Pena - 1RBI

Pitching:

Gardner - 5I 4H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 1HR 4.66ERA

Hoover - 1I 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 1.80ERA

Marte - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 2.57ERA W(3-1)

Jenks - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.91ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 1H 1R ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.81ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5   9   0

MIL   2   8   0

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds (87-70) @ Milwaukee Brewers (83-74)

Battling Brewers Bounce Back!

ga157.jpg

Above: Lopez tries to ignite the Reds by stealing 3rd, Right: Griffey drives in 1 of the 2 Reds runs...its not nearly enough!

Yesterdays win was a distant memory for the Reds, as the Brewers opened up a can of 'whoop', by drilling the Reds 15-2, hitting 7 homers just for good measure.

Harang bore the brunt of the Brewers fightback, as he lasted 3 innings, giving up 9 runs and 5 homers. Spooneybarger didnt fare much better, as he gave up another 5 runs, whilst Pelland came in to stay active, and put on a better show, giving up just the 1 run and striking out 3 in his 2IP.

The Reds did manage to put 10 hits on the board, but only 2 runs came home, leaving them well short of the Brewers slugfest of 15. This result has thrown the division wide open, and keeps the Brewers slender playoff hopes alive.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 1 Game Ahead

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Thats bought us back down to earth, we cant be complacent in any game. I think too much was expected, especially with Aaron on the mound, but we can still move forward from this"

F.Lopez: "Im feeling fresh, and have alot more to give. The mid season injury has helped me stay on top of my game for longer, so i should peak if we make the playoffs"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 2/2, 1 Double

Dunn - 2/3, 1RBI, 1 Triple

Griffey - 1RBI

Pitching:

Harang - 3I 10H 9R 9ER 0BB 2K 5HR 3.99ERA L(18-7)

Spooneybarger - 3I 6H 5R 5ER 2BB 3K 1HR 5.01ERA

Pelland - 2I 2H 1R 1ER 1BB 3K 1HR 7.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   2  10   0

MIL  15  18   1

Game 3: Cincinnati Reds (87-71) @ Milwaukee Brewers (84-74)

Reds Hang On!

ga159.jpg

Above: Griffey's back on track, with a solo shot that goes 449feet, Right: Dunn comes sliding in for a key out in the 9th!

The Reds will head to St. Louis for the final series of the season, with a 1 game lead over the Cardinals, after surviving a late Brewers rally to hand them a 5-4 defeat.

Griffey stepped up to come through with a key homer, and sac fly, to drive in 2 runs. Then Javy Lopez smacked a 3 run shot over the left field wall, as the Reds took control 5-1.

Things then got a little rocky for the Reds, and the Brewers eventually got things close trailing just 5-4 going into the 9th. A combination of Brazoban and Alfonseca prevented the Brewers from making the comeback, as the Reds hold on, and knock the Brewers out of the playoff race.

Post Season Watch:

Reds Talk:

Miley: "You couldnt write the script, a 162 game season comes down to the final series, St. Louis have homefield advantage, but we know we can beat the Cardinals"

Griffey: "Im hoping to find my swing and stay in shape for the final series, and then hopefully another shot in the playoffs"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/4

Griffey - 1/3, 1HR, 2RBI

Dunn - 2/4

Hill - 2/5

J.Lopez - 2/4, 1HR, 3RBI, 1 Double

Pitching:

Hernandez - 5I 7H 2R 2ER 1BB 0K 2HR 4.38ERA W(10-12)

Kline - 2.2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 0HR 3.05ERA

Brazoban - 1I 1H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 1HR 3.14ERA

Alfonseca - 0.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 1.80ERA (Save 33)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5  11   0

MIL   4  10   2

comeget.jpg

After 159 gruelling games, the fate of 2 teams lie in their own hands, as the Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals clash in the final series of the season, with the series winner likely to advance to the playoffs as Division winners.

St. Louis appear to have favor on their side, not only do they host the series at Busch Stadium, but they will go with 2 of their top starts in Mulder and Carpenter. The Reds on the other hand are relying on Harang, a out of form Claussen, and the youngster Gardner who is the weaklink in the Reds staff.

Offensively the Reds are the scariest team in the NL, and are only 2nd in the MLB to the mosterous Red Sox who are nearing 1000 runs for the year. Pena, Dunn, Casey, Javy Lopez and Griffey are all more than legitimate power threats, and are not afraid to take a big swing in a clutch at bat.

The Cardinals also boost their fair share of talent at the plate, Edmonds, and Rolen will be key figures, though star first baseman Albert Pujols will miss the series due to a niggling injury.

This series has more potential than the Olsen Twins, and should spark some fireworks and wild emotions. St. Louis will be bouncing throughout the series, the Reds fans will be glued to their TVs at home, this is a series for the ages and not for the faint of heart.

Probable Line-Ups & Starters:

batline.jpg

ga1pr.jpg

ga2pr.jpg

ga3pr.jpg

Current Standings:

lastand.jpg

The Spanner'

3ds_cubs.jpg

The Cubs could take advantage of any slip ups in St. Louis to force a 3 way tie atop the division, should they sweep the lowely Pirates.

If the Cards take 2 games from the Reds, and Chicago sweeps the Pirates at PNC Park, then all 3 teams would be tied on top of the division with 89-73 records.

Should this happen, the MLB mathematicians will be hard at work, trying to figure out who will make the post-season, or if there will be any 1 game playoff situations.

Everything will be resolved on Sunday evening, stay tuned or miss out on the dramatic finale to a wonderful season in the MLB.

Upcoming Series: 3 Games @ St. Louis Cardinals

Game 1: Cincinnati Reds (88-71) @ St. Louis Cardinals (87-72)

Pressure On The Cards!

ga160.jpg

Above: Miley dosent look happy as the Reds throw away their early lead, Right: Dunn makes a running grab at the wall!

Almost there, the Reds can now smell the playoffs, as they stand just 1 win away from clinching the NL Central, leaving St. Louis to ponder on how they let this game slip through their fingers.

The Reds had charged into a 3-0 lead early on, before the Cardinals came back with 3 homers off Claussen, to chase home 4 runs, and take a 4-3 lead going into the 6th inning.

Up step Ken Griffey Jr. and his long 2RBI double which drove the Reds back in front 5-4, this then set the stage for the Reds to build a 7-4 lead going into the final inning.

Closer Alfonseca came in to finish things off, but did give Reds fans a real scare, as Rolen homered with 1 out to cut the defecit to 7-5, but they need'nt had worried, as the final 2 outs came and went, giving the Reds the win they needed to enusre the Cardinals can only tie in the division.

Elsewhere, more good news came to light, as the Cubs blew their chance at tying for the division, by losing 7-4 in Pittsburgh, ruling the Cubs out of the 2006 playoff race.

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - 2 Games Ahead

Reds Talk:

Miley: "This is reward for all the hard work we have put in this season, its not over yet, but at least we have guarenteed ourselves a extra game, if we drop the last 2 in St. Louis "

Dunn on Griffey: "Griffey is such a huge presence for us to have around the locker room. Hes more than a superstar, hes a genuine baseball fan, and a hall of fame player. Nothing will take away what Griff' has done for this team, we all know that his enthusiasm and personality has kept this team afloat through this tough season"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/5, 1RBI, 1 Double

Dunn - 3/4, 1RBI, 1 Double

Hill - 2/4, 1RBI, 1 Double

F.Lopez - 1RBI

Griffey - 2RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 5I 8H 4R 4ER 0BB 1K 3HR 5.39ERA

Spooneybarger - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.91ERA W(4-1)

Marte - 1.2I 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 2.53ERA

Jenks - 0.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.85ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 1H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 1HR 1.96ERA (Save 34)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   7  11   0

STL   5  12   0

Game 2: Cincinnati Reds (89-71) @ St. Louis Cardinals (87-73)

Its Not Over!

ga161.jpg

Above: Griffey slams his 25th homer of the year, but the Reds cant contain the Cards, Right: Pressure starts to show, as Dunn and Pena know theres 1 more big game to come!

Its going to the wire, as the Cardinals step up their game to smash the Reds 14-7, as both teams went all out to win the game.

30 hits combined gave the fans a treat to watch, and even more so for the Cardinals faithful, as they came back from an early 4-0 scoreline, to romp away 14-4 and eventually finish off the Reds 14-7.

5 more homers for the Cardinals in the game, as Edmonds, Sanders and Rolen all had big days, leaving the Reds in a daze and knowing they now have to win the final game to clinch the division, and avoid a 1 game showdown with the Cardinals.

Even more potential confusion was caused by the Phillies loss in Florida, this leaves them with a 89-72 record and could effectively see a 3 way tie between the Reds, Cardinals and Phillies.

If the Phillies lose and Cardinals win, we will see 2 more games, as the Cardinals and Reds will playoff for the NL Central, and the losers of that facing the Phillies to decide the Wildcard, theres everything to play for, and its not over yet.....

Post Season Watch:

Reds Talk:

Miley: "We dont make things easy for ourselves, and now have to make a real game of it tomorrow, or face at least 1 playoff elimination game"

O'Brien (GM): "Everyone in the city is behind the team right now, its a big deal for the Reds fans, we hope that they can come home as Division winners"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 2/5

F.Lopez - 2/5, 3RBI, 1 Double

Griffey - 2/4, 1HR, 4RBI

Dunn - 2/4

J.Lopez - 2/4, 1 Double

Pitching:

Gardner - 3I 4H 4R 4ER 0BB 2K 1HR 5.02ERA

Parrish - 3I 4H 5R 5ER 0BB 3K 3HR 4.53ERA L(6-3)

Hoover - 1.1I 5H 5R 5ER 0BB 1K 1HR 8.53ERA

Jenks - 0.2I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 4.73ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   7  15   0

STL  14  15   1

Game 3: Cincinnati Reds (89-72) @ St. Louis Cardinals (88-73)

Thats' That!

ga162.jpg

Above: Harang makes the catch off the bunt, before turning 2 at 1st, Right: Caught looking, but is that enough for the Reds!

It came down to this, the 2006 season in the NL Central rest on 1 game, the Reds at the Cardinals. A win for the Reds would see them take the NL Central title for the first time since the 90s, where as a Cardinals win, would force a 1 game playoff to decide the teams fate.

It was going to be tight, Harang on the mound for the Reds was looking for his 19th win of the year, where as Carpenter took the ball for the Cardinals, hoping to end with a winning season.

The game proved to be tight, Harang would leave the mound with all the 5s - 5IP 5H 5Ks, but more importantly 0R, as the Reds held a slender 2-0 lead after a 1st inning RBI from Griffey who drove in Freel, and Harang himself drove in a run, as he left the game as the potential winner.

The bullpen now had to step up for the Reds, firstly Marte shut the Cardinals down for an inning, and the Reds extended their lead, this time it was Freel who bought home the run, giving the Reds a 3-0 lead.

Tim Spooneybarger worked the 7th and 8th, and came through them hitless, the Cardinals couldnt make their mark on the game, and the Reds now took a 5-0 lead into the final inning, as Griffey and an error, saw the Reds take a firm control of the game, the Cardinals had just 3 outs left to save their season.

Its not a save situation, but the Reds called upon Alfonseca to finish off the Cardinals. First up Rolen, and he doubles, the Cardinals threaten straight off the bat, the tension mounts.

Edmonds then strikes out, the Reds are 2 outs away from the division, Sanders comes in swinging, but pops out foul..... theres 1 out left.... Blum is at the plate, he connects... it dribbles to 2nd, Rolen goes for 3rd, Freel makes the grab... a quick throw to 1st.... Casey lunges..... he cones the ball, its OUT... the Reds win, the Reds are the new National League Central Division Winners.

Busch Stadium is in a stunned silence, the Reds players come flying into the diamond, the celebrations have begun, Playoff baseball returns to Cincinnati, and the Big Red is almost ready to roll again...

Post Season Watch:

NL Central - DIVISION WINNERS

Reds Talk:

Champagne Soaked' Miley: "Im so proud right now, its such a great feeling and these players deserved this. We have worked hard all season, and tonight we can see what all that effort has given us. Im choked, its something that dreams are made of. We will re-focus for the playoffs, but tonights our night, and the cities night to celebrate a team of winners"

Griffey: "This is why we play baseball, this is why baseball is Americas true pastime, what a night for us. Im pleased for the whole organisation, the effort that goes on right from the cleaners, players, front office and fans, has made this club the best thing in baseball. Its our turn Cincinnati, get ready the Reds are coming home as division winners"

Dunn: "Its an amazing feeling, such a great way to end the season. When we come into september no-one gave us a chance to even make the playoffs, but here we stand as division winners. Never give up, just never give up...."

Harang: "Buzzing, thats all i can say right now. Todays game showed that this team is ready for the big time, we shut out the Cards, and took the division in style. Cincinnati can be proud, the Reds are winners again... YEAAH"

'Reds Locker Room': "REDS BABY YEAAAH, PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME, WOOOOOOOOOO YEAH, ITS ALL ABOUT THE REDS"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Freel - 3/4, 1RBI

Griffey - 2/4, 2RBI

Harang - 2/2, 1RBI, 1 Double

Pitching:

Harang - 5I 5H 0R 0ER 1BB 5K 0HR 3.90ERA W(19-7)

Marte - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 2.50ERA

Spooneybarger - 2I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 4.71ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 1.92ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5  12   0

STL   0   7   1

Cincinnati Reds 2006 End of Season Wrap:

cin2006finalstats.jpg

Minor League Wrap Up:

AAA - Louisville Bats

IL West: 59-85 27GB

Notables:

HR - 2B Nick Green (16) / C Dale Sardinha (9)

RBI - 2B Nick Green (46) / RF Nick Markakis (45)

Avg - RF Nick Markakis (.330) / RF Jeremy Hermida (.301)

SP - Ben Kozlowski 8-10(W/L), 3.41ERA, 109K

RP - Chris Ray 4-0(W/L), 2.86ERA, 62K

AA - Chattanooga Lookouts

SL East: 34-36 7GB / 33-37 6.5GB

Notables:

HR - C Jose Mesa (9) / SS Javier Colina (9)

RBI - 2B Bryan Anderson (52) / C Jose Mesa (51)

Avg - CF Gene Kingsale (.281) / SS Matt Logan (.275)

SP - Fernando Nieve 8-8(W/L), 2.82ERA, 100K

RP - Richard Bartlett 8-6(W/L), 2.65ERA, 104K

A - Sarasota Reds

FSL West: 41-29 1GB / 30-40 8GB

Notables:

HR - 1B Nathan Messnerr (16) / 2B Joshua Renick (13)

RBI - 2B Joshua Renick (64) / 1B Nathan Messner (60)

Avg - CF Kenny Kelly (.292) / C Paul Hoover (.284)

P - Ching Lung Lo 8-7(W/L), 2.75ERA, 122K

P - CJ Wilson 18-9(W/L), 3.56ERA, 140K

P - Jason Richardson 13-6(W/L), 2.76ERA, 119K

2006 MLB Awards:

American League:

MVP:

1B Todd Helton - BOS - .388Avg 45HR 157RBI .467OBP .705Slg

CY Young:

SP Randy Johnson - NYY - 18-5(W/L) 2.48ERA 199K

Rookie of the Year:

LF Vincent Sinisi - TEX - .278Avg 16HR 63RBI .316OBP .442Slg

Rolaids Relief Man Of The Year:

RP Francisco Rodriguez - ANA - 1-1(W/L) 0.84ERA 45Sv 41K

Louisville Silver Sluggers:

C - Ivan Rodriguez DET

1B - Todd Helton BOS

2B - D'Angelo Jimenez CIN

3B - Alex Rodriguez NYY

SS - Edgar Renteria BOS

OF - Manny Ramirez BOS

OF - Johnny Damon BOS

OF - Vlad Guerrero ANA

DH - Eric Hinske TOR

Gold Gloves:

C - Ivan Rodriguez DET

1B - Darrin Erstad ANA

2B - Luis Gonzalez SEA

3B - Eric Chavez OAK

SS - Miguel Tejada BAL

OF - Vince Wells TOR

OF - Ichiro SEA

OF - Torii Hunter MIN

P - John Lackey ANA

National League:

MVP:

RF Bobby Abreu - PHI - .326Avg 34HR 76RBI .437OBP .577Slg

CY Young:

SP Jake Peavy - SD - 19-7(W/L) 2.42ERA 193K

Rookie of the Year:

CF Francisco Guzman - FLA - .280Avg 14HR 71RBI .368OBP .435Slg 31SB

Rolaids Relief Man Of The Year:

RP - Eric Gagne - LA - 0-3(W/L) 2.94ERA 46Sv 34K

Louisville Silver Sluggers:

C - Paul Lo Duca FLA

1B - Jim Thome PHI

2B - Luis Castillo FLA

3B - Scott Rolen STL

SS - Rafael Furcal ATL

OF - Bobby Abreu PHI

OF - Carlos Beltran NYM

OF - Jose Guillen WAS

P - Kerry Wood CHC

Gold Gloves:

C - Brian Schneider HOU

1B - Adam LaRoche ATL

2B - Luis Castillo FLA

3B - Scott Rolen STL

SS - Jack Wilson PIT

OF - Andruw Jones ATL

OF - Mike Cameron NYM

OF - Jim Edmonds STL

P - Tom Glavine NYM

Reds Notes:

Willy Mo Pena came 4th in the National League MVP List.

Aaron Harang came 10th in the National League CY Young List.

divseries.jpg

al_b.gif

New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

3ds_yankees.jpg vs 3ds_tigers.jpg

The Yankees face up against the AL Central winning Detroit Tigers, in probably the biggest mis-match of the 2006 MLB Playoffs.

New York clinched the AL East in a 1 game playoff drubbing of the Red Sox, after sharing the MLBs best record with them at 100-62. Meanwhile the Tigers took a weak Central division by surprise, eventually by just 2 games with a .500, 81-81 record.

The series should be pretty straight forward for the Yankees to clinch, as CY Young Winner 'Randy Johnson' will be the underpin of a strong rotation, that will include Carl Pavano 2.42ERA, Mike Mussina 2.93ERA and Jaret Wright 4.08ERA, as a team the Yankees ERA is 3.73, 2nd to just Oakland in the AL standings.

The one downside for the Yankees is the loss of Alex Rodriguez to a strained hip flexor ruling him out for around 28 days, and the playoffs. The loss of his 30+ home runs, should be counter-acted by a Yankees offence that hit .283Avg, 209HR and drove in 831 runs during the regular season.

For the Tigers, they will rely on a mediocre rotation to keep them in games, though Nate Robertson and Mike Maroth should cause the Yankees some problems. The Tigers pitching struggled to impose itself on games, leaving them with a team 4.23ERA, the 3rd worst out of the 8 teams in the MLB playoffs.

'Pudge Rodriguez will be the key to the Tigers offence, Dmitri Young, Maggy Ordonez and Austin Kearns should also help, though the team will need to improve on its regular season production, that hit just 172 homers, driving in 745 runs.

PREDICTION: Yankees in 4

Oakland A's vs Boston Red Sox

3ds_athletics.jpg vs 3ds_redsox.jpg

Boston make the playoffs on the back of a 100 game winning season, as they just miss out on the AL East crown by losing in a 1 game playoff against the Yankees.

Oakland meanwhile convincingly wrapped up the AL West crown by 7 games, with a 91-71 record, impressing alot of pundits with their consistency in a tough division.

The series is likely to be a contrast of skills, the A's have a solid and young rotation, that kept a team ERA of 3.59. Where as the Red Sox proved themselves to be the MLBs powerhouse, as they chased home over 1000 runs, cracking 226 homers and batting .313.

AL MVP Todd Helton will be a key part of the Red Sox lineup, but should he lack form, Varitek, Jimenez, Damon, Ramirez, Youkilis and Renteria all had impressive seasons at the plate, and will prove to be a tricky prospect for the A's staff.

Interestingly Tim Wakefiled will lineup against his old club for the A's, and alot wil rely on him making the most of his start, and using his experience and knowledge to pass on to his team mates.

PREDICTION: Red Sox in 4

nl_b.gif

Atlanta Braves vs Los Angeles Dodgers

3ds_braves.jpg vs 3ds_dodgers.jpg

Atlanta and LA will clash as their respective division winners, but its the Braves who will go into the series with more confidence, as the Dodgers lost their 'Ace' Jeff Weaver in the final week of the regular season as he fractured his ankle.

The teams are pretty evenly matched, team ERAs stand at, Braves 3.48 vs Dodgers 3.89, whilst their Batting Averages sit at .280 & .272 respectively, so the difference on paper is minimal.

On the field, its the Jones' that will be Atlantas biggest hope, as both men drove in over 100RBIs in a dry year for Braves power-hitting. The Dodgers meanwhile have Jeff Kent, JD Drew and recent acquisition Lyle Overbay as their main threats.

This series is likely to be a pitchers battle, and the fact that the Dodgers will miss Weaver, gives the Braves the edge over the Dodgers in what could prove a tight series.

PREDICTION: Braves in 5

Cincinnati Reds vs Philadelphia Phillies

3ds_reds.jpg vs 3ds_phillies.jpg

Possibly the toughest series to call in this years playoffs will be the Phillies and the Reds return to post season action.

Regular season play saw the Phillies take 5 from 7 against the Reds, but Cinci have improved dramatically over the final month, posting a 21-7 record as the stormed back to take the NL Central title.

The Reds will miss Carlos Zambrano for the series, and thats a big loss, as their rotation lacks in real depth. Harang and Hernandez will need to step up in their starts, to take the pressure off Claussen, and probably Gardner in the 4th role.

Philadelphia seem to have a more stable staff, and it shows as their team ERA is 3.79, compared to a poor 4.49ERA for the Reds. Wolf and Lieber are both 15+ game winners for the Phillies, whilst Wagner racked up 42 saves in the closers role.

At the plate, Bobby Abreu is the Phillies main man, and NL MVP. His opposite number Willy Mo Pena will be looking to prove his worth, and the injustice of not winning the MVP, on the back of a 54HR 130RBI season. The Reds will be relying on their offensive punch to drive the Phillies out of the series, the Reds put on 210 homers, including 40 from Casey and 38 from Adam Dunn.

The Phillies will be banking on their own stars of Thome, Polcano, Burrell and Lieberthal to back up Abreu, as both teams will need to be on their game in what could be a high scoring series.

PREDICTION: Phillies in 4

National League Division Series: Game 1 - Home vs Philadelphia Phillies

Flying Phillies!

nlds1.jpg

Above: Javy Lopez is the lone plus point for the Reds, as he goes yard twice!

The playoffs have started, and for the Reds is an embarassing return to the post-season, as the Phillies come to the GABP and crush their hosts 11-5, as the Reds cant get things going.

Javy Lopez was the lone bright spark for the Reds, as he went yard twice to drive in 3 runs, but this was not nearly enough, and even Mike Lieberthals 'Grand Slam' did more damage in 1 swing.

The Phillies pretty much controlled the tempo and score rate of the game, Orlando Hernandez lasted just 4.1IP as he gave up 7 runs, a brief respite came, before Marte pitched the 7th inning only to give up the decisive Grand Slam.

The onus is now on the Reds to take game 2, or they will face elimination and a tough test in Philadelphia.

Series: Phillies 1-0 Reds

MLB Playoff Wrap:

ALDS:

Tigers 6-5 Yankees

Red Sox 3-2 A's

NLDS:

Dodgers 6-10 Braves

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Not the ideal start to our homestand in this series. We now put ourselves under alot of pressure for Game 2. The performance tonight was well below par, we need to lift our game to match the standard the Phillies are setting"

J.Lopez: "I know my future is not with the Reds, but im here now, and ive got a shot at a ring, so ill be playing my heart out in every game we get in the post-season"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

J.Lopez - 2/4, 2HR, 3RBI

Griffey & Pena - 1RBI

Pitching:

Hernandez - 4.1I 8H 7R 7ER 1BB 2K 1HR 14.54ERA L(0-1)

Parrish - 1.2I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 0.00ERA

Marte - 1I 4H 4R 4ER 0BB 0K 1HR 36.00ERA

Hoover - 2I 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 0.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

PHI  11  14   1

CIN   5   9   1

Archived