The Return of the Big Red.......

Lual

National League Division Series: Game 2 - Home vs Philadelphia Phillies

All To Do!

nlds2.jpg

Above: Lopez hits another homer, thats 3 in the series, Right: Dunn knows the Reds are on the brink!

The clever money is now on the Phillies to make the NLCS after they clinched game 2 of the series against the Reds by holding onto a 7-5 win, as the Reds come close to a comeback win.

The Phillies again got off to a flyer, as they tore apart Claussen for 5 runs including 3 homers (Burrell, Thome, Rollins) putting the Reds out of touch.

To their credit the Reds did fight back, Javy Lopez again went yard, whilst his namesake Felipe, drove in another 2 with a long single. The Reds did manage to pull it back to 6-5 going into the 8th, but then failed to take advantage with 2 men on and 0 outs in the inning.

Another solo shot gave the Phillies some insurance at 7-5 in the 9th, but again the Reds got runners on base, yet again they failed to bring anyone home, as Wagner wrapped up the save, and Randy Wolff took the win.

We head to Philadelphia for 2 games now, and in all likeliness this series will be over with pretty quick, the Phillies are a class above the Reds at the moment, and its not likely to change overnight.

Series: Phillies 2-0 Reds

MLB Playoff Wrap:

ALDS:

Tigers 1-4 Yankees (1-1)

Red Sox 3-0 A's (2-0)

NLDS:

Dodgers 4-3 Braves (1-1)

Reds Talk:

Miley: "We shot ourselves in the foot tonight, and its a long road back from here. Im pretty much speechless, we have to somehow win the final 3 games to advance, its a tough task, but we have to believe"

Dunn: "Gutted, we all are. We choked out there, and to leave 4 base runners on in the last 2 innings is just criminal. We can still do it, but the odds are against us"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Hill - 2/4

J.Lopez - 1/2, 1HR, 1RBI, 2BB

Claussen - 1/1, 1RBI

Logan - 1/1, 1RBI

F.Lopez - 2RBI

Pitching:

Claussen - 4I 9H 5R 5ER 0BB 0K 3HR 11.25ERA L(0-1)

Spooneybarger - 2I 3H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 1HR 4.50ERA

Kline - 2I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 0.00ERA

Brazoban - 1I 1H 1R 1ER 0BB 0K 1HR 9.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

PHI   7  14   0

CIN   5   7   0

• Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

National League Division Series: Game 3 - @ Philadelphia Phillies

Reds Stay Alive!

nlds3.jpg

Above: The 'Big Boys' came out to play for the Reds, as Pena slams his 1st post-season homer of this career, and Dunn drives in 2 more with his double!

The Reds kept their season alive with a honest performance in Philadelphia, as Aaron Harang pitched a gem to help the Reds tame the Phillies 6-1, and pull the series back to 2-1.

Tonights performance is what the Reds should of been doing at home, good pitching and some consistent hitting. Willy Mo got back on the homerun road with a solo shot, Javy Lopez slammed his 4th of the series to drive in 3 runs, whilst Adam Dunn chipped in with the other 2RBIs, as the power hitters came to the show.

Theres still alot of hard work to do for the Reds to overturn the Phillies advantage, but with the news that Pat Burrell will miss the rest of the post-season with a strained wrist, the Reds will hope that luck is on their side.

Tomorrow night will see Richie Gardner face Lidle of the Phillies, as the Reds will be looking to force a showdown in game 5 at the GABP.

Series: Phillies 2-1 Reds

MLB Playoff Wrap:

ALDS:

Yankees 2-11 Tigers (1-2)

A's 4-10 Red Sox (0-3)

NLDS:

Braves 1-5 Dodgers (1-2)

Reds Talk:

Miley: "It is purely game by game for us, we have to win the last 2 to make it, pretty simple, yet arguably the hardest task we have ever faced"

Harang: "I knew i had to give this team a lift, and put down a solid platform so the offence could take control. Its not my best performance by a long shot, but to get the win and 7Ks is a nice feeling. Lets hope you see me on the mound again in the NLCS"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

F.Lopez - 2/5, 1 Double

Pena - 2/3, 1HR, 1RBI, 1 Triple

Dunn - 2/4, 2RBI, 1 Double

Hill - 2/4

J.Lopez - 1/4, 1HR, 3RBI

Pitching:

Harang - 6.1I 4H 1R 1ER 0BB 7K 0HR 1.42ERA W(1-0)

Marte - 0.1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 27.00ERA

Jenks - 1.1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 0K 0HR 0.00ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 0.00ERA

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   6  11   0

PHI   1   6   1

National League Division Series: Game 4 - @ Philadelphia Phillies

14 'Tension Filled' Innings Later....!

nlds4.jpg

Above: Pena and Griffey know that you cant leave men in scoring position in an extra innings game, Right: Lopez has a few words for Jenks!

Tension, Drama and Excitement has followed the Reds around all season, and it seems apt that their final game in 2006 would have all these and alot more, as the Phillies snatch the Reds dreams away by squeeking a tough one 6-5 after 14 innings.

The Reds would use 9 pitchers through the game, and see 2 players blow the save, as it just didnt seem to be their night. It started well enough, as Pena hit his 2nd home run of the series to put the Reds 2-0 early on.

But the Phillies fought back to tie it, and then constantly badgered the Reds, always pegging them back, and eventually forcing a tie in the 9th inning, as Alfonseca blew the save with 2 outs, to leave the score 4-4.

Off to extra innings, and the Reds took a 5-4 lead in the 13th and should of had more, as with 1 out they criminally left the bases loaded. This time it was Marte who was given the chance to finish off the Phillies. Alas 2 hits later, and the game was tied again, the Reds couldnt believe their luck.

Into the 14th and a sloppy 1-2-3 effort from the Reds, left Bobby Jenks in the spotlight to keep the game tied. He got 1 out, then walked Rollins, who promptly stole 2nd. David Bell was on deck, a long single up the middle on his first ball faced, saw Rollins come screaching home.... and although Griffey nailed the throw, it wasnt in time to get the tag, and the Phillies could celebrate a miraculous win, and a place in the NLCS.

The dream is over for the Reds, for the Phillies they will move onto the NLCS to face the Los Angeles Dodgers, as its curtains for the 2006 Reds.

Series: Phillies 3-1 Reds

Philadelphia Phillies Advance to the NLCS

MLB Playoff Wrap:

ALDS:

Yankees 0-3 Tigers (1-3) Detroit Tigers Advance to the ALCS

A's - Red Sox (0-3) Boston Red Sox Advance to the ALCS

NLDS:

Braves 2-4 Dodgers (1-3) Los Angeles Dodgers Advance to the NLCS

Reds Talk:

Miley: "Theres grown men in tears in that locker room tonight, i think that pretty much sums up our feelings, its heartbreaking right now..."

O'Brien (GM): "This team has done us so proud over this season. We came from last to first in the division, had a go in the playoffs, and made Cincinnati a place to watch good baseball again. It dosent feel like it right now, but we will be back, and stronger than ever"

Griffey: "Maybe thats me done right now. Ive had a final shot at a ring, i cant keep on producing like this team deserves.... i love these guys and the deserve a ring with or without me"

Jenks: "Im at the lowest point in my life right now. Everyones been great trying to lift me, but i blew our shot out there, we worked hard for so long...its choking me up"

Reds Notables:

Hitting:

Pena - 3/7, 1HR, 2RBI, 1 Triple

J.Lopez - 3/7

Casey - 1RBI

Pitching:

Gardner - 3.2I 3H 2R 1ER 0BB 4K 1HR 2.46ERA

Hoover - 1.1I 1H 1R 1ER 1BB 2K 1HR 2.70ERA

Parrish - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 0BB 2K 0HR 0.00ERA

Kline - 1I 1H 0R 0ER 1BB 1K 0HR 0.00ERA

Brazoban - 2I 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.00ERA

Alfonseca - 1I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 1K 0HR 4.50ERA

Spooneybarger - 1I 0H 0R 0ER 0BB 1K 0HR 3.00ERA

Marte - 2I 2H 1R 1ER 0BB 2K 0HR 13.50ERA

Jenks - 0.1I 1H 1R 0ER 1K 0HR 0.00ERA L(0-1)

Box:

R   H   E

CIN   5  14   2

PHI   6  13   4

MLB Playoffs Wrap:

al_b.gif

American League Championship Series:

Red Sox  8  5  17  5  4 - Boston Advance 4-1 Series Winners

Tigers   3  7  6   0  0
nl_b.gifNational League Championship Series:

Dodgers  5  2  1  4  5 

Phillies 0  3  9  9  9 - Philadelphia Advance 4-1 Series Winners
World Series:

Red Sox  3  4  6  8  2 - Boston Win World Series 4-1

Phillies 2  6  4  6  1

World Series MVP:

1B - Todd Helton BOS - .453Avg 4HR 13RBI

3ds_redsox.jpg

BOSTON RED SOX ARE 2006 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Well......

There we have it, 2 complete seasons played, totalling 328 games including the playoffs. Its been a fun dynasty to play and report on, alot of highs and possibly more lows (including the playoff exit).

I cant explain how much ive enjoyed both playing and reporting on this game, its been something special and a memory that will stick with me for a long time (im a sad git lol).

Anyway, I think its time for me to say a few thank you's..

Firstly, i have to take my hat of to EA Sports and the guys who made this game. Wow, i could never imagine having so much fun with a sports sim, and for it to last for such a long time. I may be crazy, but you guys gave us a great game and for that i thank you.

Secondly, MVPMODs....what can i say to you guys:

Trues: What a site man, full respect for putting this up, and giving us MVPers a home for our mods and community.

Modders: So many too list, but you are up there in comparison to EA in my books. This game is great, you guys put it over the edge. Everything is realistically created, and has helped immerse me into my dynasty as if its a real world.

Finally, but not least - this thank you goes out to everyone who has read my story, posted encouragement and advice, and made me feel good about writing something that people enjoyed. I never wanted the season to end, i wish i could of give you guys something more special, hell, Griffey needs a ring... it just wasnt to be.

I best stop waffling on, as you are probably aware, this dynasty will go on hiatus for now. The save will stay with me, and who knows, i could dust the thing off and get back into it for 2007 (just looking at who the FAs maybe, has wet my appetite a bit). But it would be unfair for me to promise / commit to carrying this dynasty on, as theres alot of new games out there for me to try, plus i suppose i best get back to some sort of normality in my personal life... ;)

Thank You - Its been a pleasure

Lual

:wtg:

cheers lads

thanks for the comments :)

you are sounding like you are leaving the site for ever!

lol - im sure ill still be around, but with the season coming to an end, and me not posting in a dynasty, i wont be around as much - until Spring that is ;)

btw did you do the end of season wrapup? Did any reds retire?

i did - i had to have a quick peak ;) - and no Reds retired at all, which is good, though theres alot of re-signing to do...

Thank you Lual. I enjoyed following your dynasty very much. After stumbling onto this site and found the dynasty section, I was hooked on your seasons. Loved your recaps, and stories.

Hope you decide to do another one. If not the Reds(egads), then some other team. I must say though that the most enjoyable part following was that you played straight up. None of this 120-40 record crap I've seen other dynasty players do. You made it exiting, realistic and very interesting.

From 1 Reds fan thanks.

Hey Lu' on behalf of the staff, we do not accept your retiring! :lol:

Just kidding, it was a good run, I enjoyed reading every game and I was genuinely upset when you lost the 14 inninger. I hope you come back some time soon to do up another dynasty. Until than, the pleasure is shared by both you and your loyal fans. You will be missed. :wtg:

Thanks lads

tbh its like going cold turkey :lol: - as im waiting for Quake 4 / FM2006 / PES5 to be released on friday, i find myself with some free gaming time - pretty ironic .... :huh:

ive kept the save, and made a couple of backups - its not a never say never, but im not committing to another season and then letting everyone down (including myself) by not completing it.

id rather hold on, end it at a good point - and then maybe comeback, with the Reds, or if im feeling a little spicey - a new dynasty, with all the cyberfaces and new rosters ;)

:wtg:

@APR - lo mate, long time and all that.... hope alls going well :) - as for the emlb, the site went a bit pair' in my absence - and the players either moved on, or got fed up :(

• 1 month later...

Cincinnati Gears Up for 2007!

Baseball is Back Boys and Girls

With 2006 now firmly behind them, the Reds and the rest of the MLB geared up for a crucial off-season before embarking on another adventure with the dream of claiming baseballs greatest prize, and the honour of being World Champions.

Cincinnati felt different this year, the Division Championship breed new hope into the team and the off-season proved to be one of change as this time the Reds stepped up their game to be the real deal.

Off-Season 2006:

Press-Conference:

Dan O'Brien (GM) "Before we get to the reasoning behind this conference, let me begin by thanking the fans for backing this team thru' 2006 its been a great ride, but now its time for me and the Front Office to work hard and make sure this club is back and ready for contention in 2007"

"Ill get to the point and to start with theres some good news for the club. We are now in a position to up the salary budget this year, and can confirm an increase of around $9,000,000 for the year taking us to over $95,000,000 for the team, giving us a healthy and competitive salary scale to work with"

"Further good news is that Adam Dunn and Carlos Zambrano have had their contracts upheld, and will receive their incentive payments making sure they return in 2007 as Reds"

"We can also confirm that we are still in premature negotiations with Javy Lopez, Sean Casey and Antonio Alfonseca with the hope that they will ink new deals to stay with the team. As it stands none of these negotiations are at a definate stage, so we remain optimistic that we can come away with a positive outcome"

"Thank you for your time ladies and gentleman, rest-assured that this winter will be a big one for this town"

MLB Round Up 'Off-Season 2006':

Major Retirements:

LF - Barry Bonds (42): Mr 'Roids ends his controversial career with an amazing 770 home runs, the debate will rage on whether he can make the Hall of Fame in the future.....

SP - Roger Clemens (44): One of the greats has finally called it quits with 354wins / 4647Ks and a career 3.21ERA to his name. Roger is nailed on to make the Hall, and its a deserved achievement.

Other notable retirements include SP Kenny Rogers, OFs Steve Finlay and Ruben Sierra.

The Reds only had 2 men call it quits this year, as Young Pitcher Kyle Davies called time at the tender age of 23 due to recurring injury problems and a decline in ability.

Alongside him 27 y/o Dane Sardinha the Reds AAA Catcher gives up due to a drop in standards and a niggling knee injury that will require surgery.

Rookie Draft:

The Cincinnati Reds came unstuck in this years draft with a lowly 29th pick to work with for the 9 rounds.

All the Reds picks did sign with the organisation at various levels, make note of these names as some may become baseball greats....

1 - JJ Coffie (20): Young Starting Pitcher most noted for his mesmerising Screwball. (1yr @ $400,000)

2 - Pat Perry (19): Another starter, this time Pat has been scouted for his hard fastball that should develop into a real heater. (2yr @ $200,000)

3 - Chris Williams (21): Reliever Chris has alot to prove and could easily slip out of the game if he dosent put in the effort required. (2yr @ $200,000)

4 - Matt Sutton (18 ): Matt has the potential to be a huge hit in the game. At the tender age of 18, he will skip college to embark on a career in baseball. (2yr @ $100,000)

The Reds also drafted 3B Jason Kelley, CF Mark Duckworth, C Zach Harris, SS Mike Pearce and CF Aaron Garcia. All have only earned 1 year deals earning the league minimum and havent been touted as future starlets in the game.

The Reds lose out BIG!

Consistency is arguably one of the most important factors in building a succesful baseball team. Alas the Reds appear to have lost a huge chunk of that in their clubhouse as 4 pieces of the Division winning team have all rejected new deals with the team and will test out Free Agency this winter.

casey.jpg

(Above: Sean Casey rejects a 2yr offer worth $5,500,000 per annum. The Reds will miss out on the 40HR and .305BA that Casey put on the board for 2006)

javy.jpg

(Above: Javy Lopez lasted just over half a year with the Reds, but he was looking for more security than the 1yr $4,000,000 deal that the Reds offered)

alfonseca.jpg

(Above: Closer Alfonseca proved his talent whilst a Red, 34saves and a 1.91ERA helped the Reds secure the divison crown. The Reds could only submit a 3year deal worth $2,000,000. Alfonseca wanted at least double the amount in cash)

elduke.jpg

(Above: 'El Duke gave the Reds some experience in the midst of a young rotation, and showed he could still handle the ball going 6-2 from 12 starts. He also wanted a long term deal, but at 37 the Reds only offered 1 year contract at $3,000,000)

4 big losses for the Reds to fill, possibly the power of Casey and Javy Lopez will leave the biggest hole in this teams heart.

2 other notable leavers from the Reds camp was SP Juan Dominguez who never settled with the team and often failed to deliver when called upon. As well as backup catcher Jose Molina, leaving the Reds without a premier catcher on their roster heading into the Free Agency scramble.

Back for Another CRACK!

With the disappointment of Casey et all leaving, the Reds made sure that no other vital component could get away and tied up the following players for 2007 and beyond.

2B- Ryan Freel: Returns with a 2 year deal worth $2,500,000 p/a and will hope to continue his impressive form from the past 2 years.

SS - Felipe Lopez: Another rising talent in the organisation has made the Shortstop role his own in 2006. He will stay a Red for 2 years earning $2,000,000 p/a.

RP - Steve Kline: Veteran Kline gave the Reds a huge upgrade when he joined from Baltimore last year. The Reds hope he can continue to offer both performance and stability by giving him 2 more years @ $2,500,000 p/a.

RP - Damaso Marte: Marte earned his wings as a setup man for Alfonseca in 2006 and will again be the go-to guy in the Reds bullpen for crucial outs. Marte only wants 1 more year in Cincinnati and will earn a cool $2,000,000 for his time.

RP - Esteban Yan: A surprise move for some is the fact that the Reds offered Yan a new deal after he missed nearly all of last season with a injury. Yan is still a prominent pitcher and will be given a year to prove himself again on the big stage, earning just over $1,000,000.

Reds PITCH their Intentions to the League:

smoltz.jpgwainwright.jpghawkins.jpgcrain.jpggarcia.jpg

(Above: The 5 new men in the Reds Pitching Staff will be looking to prove a point in the new look Cincinnati lineup)

The Reds made their intentions pretty clear early on in the free agency roundabout, as they inked 5 new pitchers to add to what is already a stellar staff.

Arguably the Winters biggest signing in the whole of the MLB was the move to ink veteran Starter John Smoltz. Smoltz may be 39 years old, but proved himself to still be an Ace in the modern game, going 18-8 with a 2.57ERA for the Braves in 2006.

The Reds have risked alot on Smoltz giving him a 2 year deal worth a whopping $9,500,000 p/a but have no regrets over the deal.

Dan O'Brien (GM): "John is a proven starter and has all the credentials we need to headline our staff. His experience will help anchor our young rotation and now gives us huge depth through our starting 5"

"Financially we prepared ourselves for a deal like this, so there is no gamble on our part in taking John on. Infact you could say he is gambling his final years of baseball on us, this could be his last chance to get back to the World Series and hes showed faith in us by coming here"

Another Starter joining the Reds is young Adam Wainwright who left the Cardinals after failing to agree a new deal at Busch Stadium. Adam again has all the potential become a top draw starter in the MLB, and put up respectable numbers with a 13-9 / 3.98ERA year with the Cardinals last time out. (Wainwright has signed a 2yr $4,000,000 deal)

Finally the Reds have added 3 new faces to their Bullpen and all 3 should provide the team with alot of depth and variety throughout the season.

LaTroy Hawkins at 33 has signed to become the teams new closer, after putting up a 16-6 / 4.90ERA year with the Giants in 2006. The Reds again have commited alot of money into this deal, giving LaTroy $5,000,000 a year for the next 3 years.

LaTroy Hawkins: "Im excited about coming here, the Reds are a serious organisation and i want to be part of this teams push to go a step further than last year"

The other 2 signed are Jairo Garcia and Jesse Crain who both left Oakland after failing to agree terms with Billy Beane.

Both men have signed 2 year deals, and have alot of baseball left in their careers as they are sitting in their mid 20s. Crain joins after a 6-2 / 3.75ERA year split between Minnesota and Oakland, whilst Garcia chalked up 9-5 / 4.91ERA with Oakland in 2006.

Archived