EA going to College

CCH3900

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just numbers for sure! They can't put names in for royalty/NCAA violation reasons.

Actually they can put names in, just not the real players names. ESPN has the option to put names in for there college basketball game however all the names are made up. The real player names are in the game you u'd have to change them yourself to show up on the play by play. I have no idea if they would do that for the new college baseball game.

yeah....cuz i think my college is a D3 school and we have had 2 of our players go to the NY Mets accociation last year as prospects and draftees....(of course...it's the Mets...haha) I think that modding wouldn't be too hard cuz most colleges have portraits and heights and weights....the batting (contact, power..etc) would be harder to do...but one way would be to put slugging avgs on a bell curve and rank them and then do batting avg and rank them to get contact and power...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In fact, Take-Two isn't the only company that hasn't put out PC sports titles lately. Sega, Konomi, Midway and 989 Sports haven't put out sports titles for the PC in a long time. Hell, even Microsoft, the company that revolutionized how PC's were used, didn't put out sports titles for the PC. They all opted to put out titles for the consoles instead because, as one gaming executive put it: "there is just not a demand for them on the PC." Thranslation: they wouldn't make as much money through a PC port as they would for the PS2, XBox or GC.

I hate to break it to you but you are completely wrong. Years ago, Microsoft put out 3 games to compete with EA Sports: NFL Fever, NBA Inside Drive and Microsoft Baseball. At one point there were 3 baseball games available for the PC: Triple Play, High Heat and MS Baseball. The Consoles dwarf the PC in terms of sports games. Don't compare MVP to Madden. Madden has had a stronghold on the football market for years. Acclaim had promise with their Quarterback Club but that was way back then. Blitz was never competition because of its pure arcade gameplay. The only game that threatened the Madden franchise started on the Dreamcast called NFL 2K.

Although many consider the Dreamcast a flop, EA did not produce any sports games, leaving 2K Sports an open field. Magazine writeups would compare the two, with 2K holding its own against the already well established Madden. Madden is a staple for EA, they locked down football with the contract to protect their investment.

That last bit has always stuck in my craw because there is a huge demand for PC sports titles. Sites like this one, MaddemMania and PCFootball.net should be evidence of that! I mean come on, can you make mods for the PS2? How about the XBox, Does the GC allow you to make changes to the games? You might, but what are you creating those mods on? Right, a PC.

Not really. Game consoles are made with the specific purpose to play games. PCs on the otherhad are multi-taskers. It takes more time and R&D to produce a PC game than a console because of the infinite system configurations.

I am left to assume that the gaming companies that are not EA will follow their usual patterns of putting out sports titles for the PS2, XBox and GC and ignore the PC alltogether. I would hope that they wouldn't because there is a viable market out there for their titles that they have just been ignoring for a long time now.

Do you remember a game called Triple Play? It was the predicessor to MVP Baseball. Now why would EA change the name, do slow sales ring a bell? A few years back, baseball games were extremely common for the PC and the Console. The success of MVP Baseball is only due to the Banruptcy of some major companies. Games like All Star Baseball and High Heat whipped EA on both the Consoles and PC. Once Acclaim and 3DO went under, this only left EA and new comer 2K Sports. Hmmm, back to the battle, eh?

EA locked down football so 2K countered with baseball. EA has a lot of pride, they are not going to release a no-name baseball game. There only option is a College Sports branded game which lets them introduce a baseball game while keeping their pride and not releasing Joe Blow Baseball. Konomi comes to mind...

Archived