EA going to College

CCH3900

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think this is horrible. Who the heck cares about college baseball?? I couldnt even name you one college player right now. I will not spend another dime on MVP unless it has MLB liscencing, period. I'd rather stick to MVP 2005. The only way I would spend money on this collegeball garbage is if I knew someone would make a conversion to MLB players instead of college players, like importing all the players from 2005, faces, team names, logos, etc.

And that can only be positive for the future of the game. Do you know why there are so many Japanese players in baseball now? Because Japan is baseball crazy. They love it. That's what they want to do. They work at it to become good and it has been paying off.

So many Japanese players? I think there are 4, and then a couple other Asian countries give us a player, so I think that brings the total to 8...compared to the other 600 I don't think its worth mentioning. There are 2 asians who are all-star calibur and they were considered Babe Ruth's in Japan (Ichiro, Hideki Matsui).

Over here, there are too many other things to do besides swing a bat and that gets the interests away from the game for the young fan. A couple weeks ago at a local high school near here, they had a all day soccer tournament. So I stood there watching these kids, maybe a few hundred of them or so, kick that white ball around and it kind of made me sad. Here they were doing this when they could have been playing ball because

when I was that age, I was playing ball every day. That doesn't happen anymore.

Over here? Umm...hello, Soccer is the biggest sport in the world. I personally find it boring but the stamina and athleticism of soccer players is unrivaled. So you may have seen a couple hundred kids at a soccer tournament on one day of the year but trust me my friend there was a couple hundred baseball games going on in America alone at the same time. Bottom line Baseball and Soccer are kids GAMES and whichever one a kid enjoys playing is fine by me, it does not make me sad because they are kicking "that white ball"...So while the soccer crowd has to organize a big tourney to get a couple hundred people to show up I can just drive by any baseball diamond in my small New Hampshire city (where there are at least 14 of them) and see kids playing ball at any time of day so long as the sun is out. Have no fear America's past-time is well and safe.

Five said it...Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and Nascar is the biggest in the US but baseball still is the best game ever created and will always be our past time.

Amen to that. Amen to that.

I think the thing that is throwing people is the different categories of "popular."

Most played, largest spectator sport, etc.

As far as, largest spectator sport, NASCAR is hands down the winner drawing 75 million in 2004.

http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/050403.html

EDIT: I've been searching for more links, but it looks like statistically speaking, you can skew any of the US sports towards the top, depending on how you approach it.

Baseball could be #1 because they play 160+ games, NASCAR could be because of the sheer numbers they can fit into each racetrack, etc.

So the US debate could rage on, if somebody finds some good statistical evidence, post it here.

As far as the world goes, I'd have to think that soccer is #1 hands down.

as far as american polls go i believe it is:

1. football

2. baseball

3. basketball

4. hockey

5. auto racing

i believe this is just in terms of love of the sport. this has nothing to do with attendence etc.

as far as the japanese having many great players this is true. i lived there 7 years and saw first hand many great players. i'm not saying there are as many great players there as here. but, there are more than a handful. one thing you have to realize about japan is that as a country it used to be very conservative. meaning out of loyalty for the country many players wouldn't leave to play in the MLB. however the country as a whole is slowly becoming less conservative, and slowly we are seeing more players emerge from there. in the future we will only see more. the MLB is not stupid, they have seen the talent for the last 20 years or so there. but there was a certain stigma attached to a player that conidered leaving to play here. i think due to better relations between countries, and the annual all star trips, and the recent opening day games being held there (smart move for the MLB ) slowly the lines are being blurred.

Getting back to what I was saying about Take-Two before...

I haven't seen anything that would indicate that Take-Two would put out a PC version of the MLB series. I f there is a news piece somewhere then I must have missed it. Does anybody have an address I can go to so I can read it for myself? Thanks.

Anyway, the reason I say they have a "consoles only" policy is that they haven't put out any sports titles for the PC. I should have clarified that before because I wasn' talking about their entire library, only as it pertained to sports titles.

In fact, Take-Two isn't the only company that hasn't put out PC sports titles lately. Sega, Konomi, Midway and 989 Sports haven't put out sports titles for the PC in a long time. Hell, even Microsoft, the company that revolutionized how PC's were used, didn't put out sports titles for the PC. They all opted to put out titles for the consoles instead because, as one gaming executive put it: "there is just not a demand for them on the PC." Thranslation: they wouldn't make as much money through a PC port as they would for the PS2, XBox or GC.

That last bit has always stuck in my craw because there is a huge demand for PC sports titles. Sites like this one, MaddemMania and PCFootball.net should be evidence of that! I mean come on, can you make mods for the PS2? How about the XBox, Does the GC allow you to make changes to the games? You might, but what are you creating those mods on? Right, a PC.

I am left to assume that the gaming companies that are not EA will follow their usual patterns of putting out sports titles for the PS2, XBox and GC and ignore the PC alltogether. I would hope that they wouldn't because there is a viable market out there for their titles that they have just been ignoring for a long time now.

this is the best link i can find for what you are looking for. paragraph 3 i believe, talks about the pc and multiple titles for the baseball series. it doesn't go as much into depth as the press conference transcript i had read some months ago. i can no longer find that online.

http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=154141

edit- also last line of pargraph 4:

Take-Two will be the sole developer, publisher and distributor of licensed simulation, arcade and manager-style Major League Baseball PC games.

btw this is their investor relations page.

Im guessing they would have someone who is drafted high and goes to the pros....such as All-American Alex Gordon (3B, Nebraska)

Or All-American Tyler Greene (SS GA Tech .380 avg), or Wes Hodges (RF/3B GA Tech .401 avg).

Archived