Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum - Version 2.0

Sean O

Hey all-

So this is the new version of the Los Angeles Coliseum, completely rebuilt from scratch. The dimensions are all correct, the stands have been completely built from scratch, the arches in the outfield have been added, and the foul ground is accurate. Also, the lighting standards are included, along with the broadcast booth. All told, this took countless hours of tweaking, building, and general bleariness at staring at tiny little dots until the wee hours of the morning. I hope you enjoy.

A word of caution: The park still has some glaring issues. 1). there are no crowds, since adding them would be an insane job I wouldn't wish on anybody. 2). In some places there are disappearing wall / graphic problems. I've done my best to fix them, but my best just isn't quite good enough. My apologies. 3). The grass is screwed up, but I have no other choice. 5). There is a weird teal light in center field that I cannot for the life of me remove, so it screws up the look in CF. and 6). players in the dugout still appear underground, and the bullpen camera pans are all screwed up. If anyone wants to change any of these, be my guest.

Special Thanks: To my beta testers, Stecropper, powerhouse, Brooklyn, and Mark, endless thanks.

To Andrew Clem, whose layout page I consult daily.

To my girlfriend, for letting me spend endless hours on this.

LA Coliseum:

clevcoliseum6qu.th.jpg

coloedit1ig.th.jpg

(Thanks Andrew)

lamem4.jpg

lamem5.jpg

lamem6.jpg

lamem26.jpg

lacol901.jpg

collf4jz.th.jpg

colrf2og.th.jpg

overview2ay.th.jpg

plate4kg.th.jpg

stands3ks.th.jpg

Enjoy.

I'm having sort of the same problem. Instead of getting the arches, I just have what appears to be a blank white wall.

Doesn't really bother me that much, as the stadium is really fun to play in. I love that short LF wall. Just pop it up and the ball is gone!

I really doubti t masta, because then it would just disappear in certain areas, but this sounds like it's disappearing all around. It's been taken from one of the ads in center field, so it should appear everywhere.

Doesn't make sense to me, is it working for some people?

I have to say that I am getting the arches just fine. But there are no seats. I know there is not supposed to be a crowd, but I don't have any seats either. Rather it looks like one gigantic slab. From the preview pic though, it looks like there aren't any seats either. Is this supposed to be that way?

I also have surrounding the outfield in front of the walls what looks like this black mesh kinda thing. I am not sure is this is supposed to be like that or not. You can also see this in the first picture that was uploaded by fush12 here... http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m...190235298jy.png

I have to say that I am getting the arches just fine. But there are no seats. I know there is not supposed to be a crowd, but I don't have any seats either. Rather it looks like one gigantic slab. From the preview pic though, it looks like there aren't any seats either. Is this supposed to be that way?

I also have surrounding the outfield in front of the walls what looks like this black mesh kinda thing. I am not sure is this is supposed to be like that or not. You can also see this in the first picture that was uploaded by fush12 here... http://img305.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m...190235298jy.png

The wall was like that because it was a football stadium as well

For some inane reason, I cannot create or utilize alpha files that have grey parts, which means semi-transparencies. So, the screen and chain link fence are a little rough because it's either off or on, and that's not really a good combo.

As for the arches problem, I believe it's probably a lighting issue. There's a possibility that the people having trouble either have different hardware, or have put it into a strange stadium slot which has lighting blaring down on that section. It just looks completely washed out to me.

The seating has to be that way because that's pretty much what all of the EA sports stands look like underneath the crowd, and fitting the crowd to the Coliseum would be an endless, miserable task. If someone wants to change the graphics or anything, be my guess. Especially if you can create semi-transparencies and want to make the walls less harsh.

For some inane reason, I cannot create or utilize alpha files that have grey parts, which means semi-transparencies. So, the screen and chain link fence are a little rough because it's either off or on, and that's not really a good combo.

As for the arches problem, I believe it's probably a lighting issue. There's a possibility that the people having trouble either have different hardware, or have put it into a strange stadium slot which has lighting blaring down on that section. It just looks completely washed out to me.

The seating has to be that way because that's pretty much what all of the EA sports stands look like underneath the crowd, and fitting the crowd to the Coliseum would be an endless, miserable task. If someone wants to change the graphics or anything, be my guess. Especially if you can create semi-transparencies and want to make the walls less harsh.

I know some stadiums do have seat textures. If you can grab one of the accurate color, I'd replace that texture (if it's a single texture) with the seats. Where did you move the crowd in the crowd.ord/orl file?

Well, I mean, Cleveland Stadium had something like that for seat textures, along with a texture that just looked like 2d people waaay in the upper upper deck. The problem here is that I went with a generic looking seating file because in moving literally every seating area around, some sections got stretched out of shape, so any clear texture you put on it will get warped. With this, it's impossible to notice.

The crowds have all been moved directly below ground, or if I did move them in the x/z planes I would just start over with the default cleveland stadium crowd.ord/orl files. I briefly attempted to put crowds into the file, but 1). it will be difficult because the slope of the stands at the Coliseum is different from that of Cleveland, and 2 you'll need to individually rearrange each seating section to fit in with the seating bowl in between the aisles. It's quite a task.

Also, if anyone has experience in mfield mods, getting real grass there would be great, but it was screwed up because I had to stretch the grass to the far reaches of the Coliseum area so it wouldn't disappear. That's why that grass looks so awful.

Well, I mean, Cleveland Stadium had something like that for seat textures, along with a texture that just looked like 2d people waaay in the upper upper deck. The problem here is that I went with a generic looking seating file because in moving literally every seating area around, some sections got stretched out of shape, so any clear texture you put on it will get warped. With this, it's impossible to notice.

The crowds have all been moved directly below ground, or if I did move them in the x/z planes I would just start over with the default cleveland stadium crowd.ord/orl files. I briefly attempted to put crowds into the file, but 1). it will be difficult because the slope of the stands at the Coliseum is different from that of Cleveland, and 2 you'll need to individually rearrange each seating section to fit in with the seating bowl in between the aisles. It's quite a task.

Also, if anyone has experience in mfield mods, getting real grass there would be great, but it was screwed up because I had to stretch the grass to the far reaches of the Coliseum area so it wouldn't disappear. That's why that grass looks so awful.

It would be hard, but not an astonishing feat. One other thing I noticed is the height of the seating decks. I personally think they should be a bit higher, not to nitpick.

The one thing I wish I'd taken into considering when I was plowing through all the seating bowl construction was how it looked on the arch backdrop file, which shows it being much steeper. However, as it is now, it follows the exact layout as posted on Andrew Clem's site. It's one of those things that could be changed in like 5 minutes though, so if you're thinking of changing it up, it's definitely possible.

I'm just thinking someone else is going to have to mod it further, mainly because of the transparency problems. But anyone who wants to do so is more than welcome.

Archived