Peter Bernard "SAVE THE FORGOTTEN FACES" Foundation

peterbernard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed tc3 today and scanned through what I could of it during a hectic day. Random observations/thoughts:

Someone fiddled with the Polo Grounds! Mostly it's good, it's brighter now. The Ted Williams is great except for facial scars or "plastic surgery marks." Near-perfect otherwise. The DiMaggio is good around the eyes. AT told me that Bodhiball did Jim Rice. I love the 70's afro on Rice of the 75 Red Sox in the game. I wish Bodhiball would do Oscar Gamble and Mark Fidrych and Don Sutton and Al Hrabosky with the full beard. Also I wish Bodhiball would redo my Reggie to have 70's hair like he had in 77 hitting the 3 homeruns. I'm weirded out that someone did Evans, Hernandez and Buckner when I already did them but that's my own fault for not releasing them. Especially Buckner, I never thought anyone else would even want to do him. But the more the merrier. I'm hoping to fix the coloring on more of my oldtimer faces like Preacher Roe and Bill Dickey who are too orange. Oh the Mickey Rivers in the 77 Yankees in tc3 (from a distance) moves like him, fidgety and loose. When I was a kid my younger sister used to say he looked like he was strung together with loose rubberbands, this version captures that quality somehow. I wish somebody would do Roy White, right now he looks Asian in the game.

Oh I have a new, uglier Pete Rose that I'll probably redo the sideburns of, but here's a release of it before the hard drive crashes again hopefully.

roseugly.jpg

pr1a.jpg

Thanks Fuzz, it's hard to find time to even look at cool stuff like this lately.

I'm trying to upload the Rose to this site but it's not working. It's really a beta anyway, so if anyone wants to test it, it's here at least for now:

http://www.peterbernard.com/peterose/peterose110905.zip

Like I said the sideburns are somewhat severe so I hope to have time to chill them out.

EDIT: I've had so many crashes, I just want to release what I have done more quickly. If my computer crashes again, someone else may have a copy of the face somewhere.

A PLEA TO FACE MODDERS FOR TOTAL CLASSICS:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Thesis:

It's way cooler to do a definitive face for a player then use it for all his incarnations than to do another version of an already-existing face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For instance, I love seeing the Lou Piniella manager face used as a player face. I don't need to see the young Lou in the game. The same goes for Joe Torre.

However, Bucky Dent is on 3 or 4 teams and has a generic face. Tom Seaver still didn't have a good face the last time I looked (maybe this has been corrected). Ed Kranepool is played by Nick Johnson while Dave Winfield and Rickey Henderson have 3 faces each.

I'm trying to do Nettles and Gossage today because they're on 3 or 4 teams each. Sparky Lyle too, I hope to have him done tonight.

My plea to the face modders is to play the game using random teams and see which guys have faces that stick out to YOU as needing to be done. The faces that are most MISSING from the game, not the easiest or most fashionable ones to do. Then start looking for and collecting pictures of that guy until you think you are ready to make a face for him. Try whenever possible to make faces other modders haven't already done. Isn't it much better having a face that at least sort of looks like the real guy than just another generic face?

Tinker, Evers, and Chance still all have generic faces. That's not fair to treat legends that way. Please every face modder adopt a different forgotten face each week or month and eventually we'll chip away at them all.

Thanks for your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:

Baseballfans is an example of what I think is good about old-timer face modding. Doing guys like Rusty Staub and George Brett fills a void in the game.

Question from a virtual newbie. If I'm not playing Total Classics, can I still use some of these Cyber Faces by simply downloading the and creating a player like DiMaggio and adding him to the free agent pool?

Thanks for the input and the hard work.

-Hatter

Yeah if you download the cyberface packs done by people like baseballfans and me. I'm going to try to release more. You'll need MVPEdit from the glass4 site to create the players for the faces if you do it by yourself. It's easy to figure out though because even I can use it.

Baseballfans is an example of what I think is good about old-timer face modding. Doing guys like Rusty Staub and George Brett fills a void in the game.

Thanks for the kind introduction Pete, I do my best whenever I have time. My dad say I am wasting my life making face instead of working. So last month I got a temp job so to earn some money. My project 96-2000 World champion Yankees will be put on hold because of that. When I do have time, I'll release a few faces for everyone. This way TC will continue to be update until another PC baseball game is release :D

My dad say I am wasting my life making face instead of working. So last month I got a temp job so to earn some money. My project 96-2000 World champion Yankees will be put on hold because of that. When I do have time, I'll release a few faces for everyone. This way TC will continue to be update until another PC baseball game is release :D

Yeah that's what my friends say too, I have to sneak time doing this. Here's a Ron Guidry I'm doing that I'm having trouble with. His face looks too long no matter who I put it on and he looks too much like Mattingly.

guidrybeta1web.jpg

guidryweb.jpgtommieageeweb.jpg

Okay I'm happy enough with Guidry for now-- he looks more like the new pitching coach for the Yankees than that guy who went 25-3 back then. But it's better than a generic face. If someone wants to give him longer 70's hair, I'd consider it a favor because I'm pressed for time. The guy on the right is my attempt at the late Tommie Agee, star of the 69 Mets. His eyebrows probably need to be bushier.

EDIT: Guidry is over mesh 567, Agee is over mesh 235.

I just got back from a job and AlexTony tells me they are using my Ron Guidry face with the next release of Total Classics. But what sounds even cooler is that he says they got "Ron Guidry audio" that they're using. I don't know what that means yet. If anyone wants to explain, that would be cool. I'm going to try to finish Nettles and a bunch of touchups and hair rearranging tomorrow even though I think that's a day past their deadline. But like I said, they're touchups so it's not as big a deal. Alot of my faces have skin color that doesn't match the arms well enough. Also I think I should start listing preferred skin color numbers with each face to make them easier for people to set up. It's alot of work to do and I hope everyone realizes that other than the latest releases of Willie Mays and Tony Oliva, all of the rest of these faces were super-rushed!!! It stinks, but I'm not independently wealthy or living in my parent's basement, so I really have to steal time to do this in-between jobs, taking care of my sick cat, and trying to relax. Alot of the online arguing that occurred was me sort of "going on strike" in as public a way as possible to try to draw attention to the fact that old-timer faces needed to get made BEFORE the release of the college 2006 game. People need to buy in NOW, they need to get the MVP 2005 game, be careful with the discs in it, and plan on playing it for 7 years or more. But the mods need to be done BEFORE the 2006 games come out and people get distracted. I was not going to be able to do all the faces. When people got mad and wanted to show me I wasn't so great, they either made their own cyberfaces or convinced others to do so. I don't care if I had to play "Bad Cop," the end result is what we all were hoping for-- a community of face modders interested in doing OLD-TIMER faces. So if you wanted to know why I kept telling people to stop complaining about what I do and make their own faces, or why I kept bitching that other people weren't trying hard enough to make good old-timer faces, now perhaps it might make more sense to you. Or not, but either way we all have better mods now and it's overall a better tribute to the players we grew up watching.

I would like to add, that, since we should assume this game is IT for the next 7 years, we should make sure to preserve the best 2004 and 2005 mods. In a few years, those will be "old-timer" mods and will have the same nostalgic value that 1977 Yankee paraphernalia has now.

BTW, whoever decided to throw a cover of the 1977 World Series program in as a "Click To Start" screen, I thank you. I used to have 2 of those (I got to go to 2 games). That's the one I use.

I hope to still release a monster face pack, sorry that didn't get done by Halloween, but the hard drive all my cyberfaces were on got fried, so all these latest faces are "starting from scratch" faces. I'm not sure if I explained that before on this site, I told AlexTony and my mailing list about it.

dickallen74.jpg

How to go from generic player to superstar:

I was asked to make generic African-American guys with glasses or shades with long hair for 60's-70's players. I crossed my Reggie Jackson with Jim Rice by Bodhiball 4 different ways. Number 4 I thought looked sort of like Dick Allen by accident. AlexTony thought the same, now this "is" Dick Allen!

Hey if you don't like it, make a better Dick Allen. At least I made an ACCIDENTAL Dick Allen, that's more than anybody else can say. In fact, this may be the first accidental Dick Allen in history.

EDIT: His name is not Naughty Word Allen. It's the nickname for Richard. It's his NAME, it was on baseball cards. It's not a dirty word. I mean, not in this context.

dickallen76.jpgdickallenbw.jpg

Archived