No body knows how to throw a Knukleball?

HFLR

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've heard, it also helps if you cut your finger tips so they're flat rather than curved at the top. If you look at Tim Wakefield's fingernails, they're filed down that way. You want to be able to really sink the nails into it, then just push the ball out of the hand. Any rotation should be avoided.

I also found I was able to get a 'knuckle' movement by wedging the ball between my index finger and my middle finger, and using the same arm motion as a fastball. The ball comes out just as hard, but dies at the plate, with no spin.

Actually, i think thats a forkball.

• 3 months later...

I also found I was able to get a 'knuckle' movement by wedging the ball between my index finger and my middle finger, and using the same arm motion as a fastball. The ball comes out just as hard, but dies at the plate, with no spin.

what was said about this being a forkball is partially correct -- what's really happening is a mistake, though. you're either working at a disadvantage with the size of your hand / finger-span, or you're just not "stretching" the finger ligaments enough to be able to fit the ball in between those fingers. thus, you get a locked-in ball that doesn't spin out of the delivery, which gives it a knuckler type motion.

a 'true' forkball should sit easy in the fingers and "tumble" down towards the plate. similar, but different.

my knuckler is locked between the thumb and the fore-surface of my index and middle fingers. released 3/4, fastball delivery, and when done right i see the horse-shoe threads staring back at me the whole way down to the plate.

• 3 months later...

Good point Awesome, after I had arm surgery in college, I lost some velocity on my ball and I had to resort to a forkball, but I couldnt form it correctly so it came out as a knuckle forkball for the 3/4 arm slot and dove towards the ground.

Archived