TC4: Ball Speed and Movement

chuckm1961

I've played many games in regular MVP, and now several with TC4. So I think I have a basis for comparision.

I am not complaining. I'm just trying to figure out what is going on, so I can adjust as needed.

And things move slower in TC ... or am I dreaming? I'm playing All-Star with Pitch Speed at 0. The pitchers in TC don't throw 95-100 m.p.h. on four seamers, at least not the teams I've seen. And when my '69 Cubs hit the ball, it doesn't seem to go very far, possibly because they are hitting 85 mph fast balls. Or possibly because I'm lousy.

I tried a search on this, but wasn't having any success.

We tried to make the TC players as realistic as possible, so that means that you won't find as many fireball pitchers as you have in today's game. Plus, you may find that the players may have less power because that's the way it was back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Was this done by adjusting only the player ratings for strength, power, etc? Or changes in the datafile? I'm curious.

Also, I'm thrilled but surprised that Paul Popovich on the '69 Cubs has 90 contact ratings. Seems high, but he makes a great pinch-hitter that way.

For some pitchers, the velocity and control settings were tweaked and for some batters their contact and power settings were tweaked. It wasn't an across the board change, however. Each player was reviewed and changes were made where they were deemed appropriate. Plenty of players were left untouched from TC3 to TC4.

My bad, fuzz, sorry for the mis-statement.

And Jim, thanks for the reply. So is TC's datafile the 'original' file, or a mod?

I'm considering how to adjust my sliders and gameplay level. I'm on All-Star right now, with the same settings I use on PS2 version. For example, Pitch Meter Difficulty -45, User and CPU Pitch Control -45, User Contact about 30, CPU Contact about 10.

I'm trying to find a happy medium between HR-city and HR-drought. I've played plenty of the PS2 version, which is wonderful with the right sliders, but the ball scoots around too quickly. On the other hand, I'm hitting about one HR every six games using TC rosters. And rarely even hit a solid warning-track fly ball. I jump for joy when I hit a solid single up the middle, which is about all I ever hit.

My current theory: on the PC version, it's harder to make solid contact than PS2 version, using the same settings.

For example, Pitch Meter Difficulty -45, User and CPU Pitch Control -45, User Contact about 30, CPU Contact about 10.

I'm hitting about one HR every six games using TC rosters. And rarely even hit a solid warning-track fly ball. I jump for joy when I hit a solid single up the middle, which is about all I ever hit.

that might just be you bro, i can't really speak for everyone else but i play tc often especially of late, and the last few nights ive had direct ip games and me and my opponent are crushing balls.

how often do you hit homeruns in regular rosters?

u should check out Y4L Total Classics Games thread -- he documents every TC game he plays and i believe he's crushing them too. He's got screenshots and so on.

Hey Fuzz,

Maybe I'm reading this whole subject wrong, but if you are playing someone online, then you are playing at the "PRO" level, correct? That might be the difference since Chuck is playing at the ALL STAR level. Just a thought.....

My bad, fuzz, sorry for the mis-statement.

And Jim, thanks for the reply. So is TC's datafile the 'original' file, or a mod?

I'm considering how to adjust my sliders and gameplay level. I'm on All-Star right now, with the same settings I use on PS2 version. For example, Pitch Meter Difficulty -45, User and CPU Pitch Control -45, User Contact about 30, CPU Contact about 10.

I'm trying to find a happy medium between HR-city and HR-drought. I've played plenty of the PS2 version, which is wonderful with the right sliders, but the ball scoots around too quickly. On the other hand, I'm hitting about one HR every six games using TC rosters. And rarely even hit a solid warning-track fly ball. I jump for joy when I hit a solid single up the middle, which is about all I ever hit.

My current theory: on the PC version, it's harder to make solid contact than PS2 version, using the same settings.

We didn't include a datafile with TC......

Hey Fuzz,

Maybe I'm reading this whole subject wrong, but if you are playing someone online, then you are playing at the "PRO" level, correct? That might be the difference since Chuck is playing at the ALL STAR level. Just a thought.....

pro rating isn't a factor in direct ip.

ive actually tried changing it during direct ip, but its always set on pro.

im just trying to state that hitting homeruns, regarding player stats, isn't a problem.

direct ip, or regular exhibition or owner -- which i play all.

im pretty sure y4l can confirm all this.

pro rating isn't a factor in direct ip.

ive actually tried changing it during direct ip, but its always set on pro.

im just trying to state that hitting homeruns, regarding player stats, isn't a problem.

direct ip, or regular exhibition or owner -- which i play all.

im pretty sure y4l can confirm all this.

Confirmed. :dead:

I would have assumed that the level you are playing at would effect how tough (or easy) it would be to hit HR's. I understand the idea that playing direct ip games is totally different from playing CPU, but I thought the level of difficulty would effect both online players. Thanks for the heads up on that, Y4L.

I play online with a friend of mine and we tend to tweak the settings to make it more difficult to hit HR's. We adjust contact up and power down. We also set the fielder's speeds down to -25.

Just to clarify....We make all of the slider adjustments on our original installed MVP. We only adjust fielder's speed in TC4.

BTW, Thanks to all who created TC4....it's so much fun. Also, thanks to all who have worked on the new MVP coming out soon and the WBC people as well. I'm going to have 4 installs of this game........mind blowing stuff!!

Not sure if this means anything for you on the power numbers but are you

pushing the joystick 'up' and inward as you 'try' to hit for power? (as you are hitting the swing button at the same time of course)

This was something I was missing when I first started playing MVP 2004 early in '04. This helped me out and HR's are pretty regular pending on the player abilities, power, etc.

Archived