A little help here...

Well, I'm due to write up 4 reports as part of a passing grade or whatever for some class, and I'm kinda stuck on 1 of 4.

This is what it says:

--------------

1. You are asked by the school's principal to develop a one year physical education course required for all students in the school and present it to him in a formal report. You decide to select 12 indoor activites for the students. What twelve activities would you select and why would you select them? You must explain your reason for each activity in detail. Remember this is a formal report to the principal; it must be a well written essay of at least 3 to 5 pages long, typed, and double spaced.

--------------

It sounds crazy. 12 indoor activites? WTF?

Then the second assignment goes like this:

--------------

2. The parents of the school have proposed eliminating physical education from the school curriculum. The principal asks you, as the head of the physical education department, to write a detailed report justifying retaining physical education. This is a formal report; it must be a well written essay and at least 3 to 5 pages long, typed and double spaced.

--------------

A little advice to jumpstart the brain would be appreciated. Thanks!

-KC

I took the liberty of completing your essay, KC. I hope you, and your principal, like it, and that it ensures a passing grade for your classes. :)

Dear Mr. [insert principal's surname here],

The last time I checked, the educational system is covered in the many forms of taxations that we, as Americans, pay in various forms. Given that I am still in the educational system, I do not find it appropriate that the students should be compiling the curriculum for ourselves, as it could lead to students nominating classes that they prefer rather than classes which are more beneficial to them in the long run. Furthermore, it's not our damn job. Do your own work, you lazy son of a *****.

I'm entitled to an education in this damn country and my tax monies pay your salary. You want work to be done, you do it yourself, or you assign one of your trained cronies a.k.a. "teachers" to do the work for you.

Bring on the communism!

Sincerely,

Your worst enemy.

Well, for 12 indoor activities, here's a few.

Running - requires stamina and is one of the best forms of exercise.

Squash - requires speed and stamina, fast thinking and teaches good hand-eye coordination.

Tennis - As Squash.

Basketball - Requires speed, stamina, teaches teamwork and exercises good communicational skills.

Wrestling/Boxing - Not sure if you'll get away with this one as it's apparently frowned on these days. Teaches patience and stamina, helps to build muscle mass.

Weightlifting - Good exercise, builds muscle mass, can improve confidence.

As for the reasons for not abandoning P.E., you could work the above into a statement. Less physical education = more fat people. Simple, but true. ;)

That's all I can think of right now.

KC, Im no whiz or anything, but once I read this the first thing I though of was like a olympic type event. Mybe pair up the physical ED up into groups. Maybe have something where teamwork is the objective, so when you get too the "Parents" part of the essay you can preach the value of teamwork.

Hope this goes well for you. The second one arguing to keep PE hopefully shouldn't be too difficult.

You have to wonder from an educational sense as to what the students will gain from these assignments. I'm guessing the first one is an attempt to get people to identify activities they could take up, and the second an attempt to have students realise that physical activity is an important part of daily life. Thus the overall effect of the assignments is to make students realise they can take up these activities and become fitter. Of course this could be achieved by just having more PE and less essay writing, but people dont realise that.

Archived