Ben Roethlisberger motorcycle accident

Being a Browns fan I can not believe that this happened. Im from Lima, OH originally, which is just south of Findlay. Big Bens hometown. I saw him play in High School and knew he was going to go to the NFL someday. I never thought he would have the immediate success that he has ahd however. I hope he is going to be alright. I saw the motorcycle on Fox news and it looks pretty bad. They said he was not wearing a helmet and hit the windshield. He was alert though bloody.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2480830

If he's injured for training camp and can't play during the regular season because of this...he will have basically cost his team a chance to repeat. The good news is that ESPN's John Clayton reports the injuries are not life-threatening.

I hope he gets through this.

When will they make wearing a helmet the law? I'm kind of surprised there was no motorcycle riding clause in his contract.

i know in texas you can ride without a helmet. i'm pretty sure here in california you have to wear one though. weird thing about california is that it's legal for a motorcyclist to weave in and out of traffic- but you have to wear a helmet. so it's ok to ride like a lunatic and endanger your life swerving between traffic but, you have to have a helmet on your head doing it.

i know in texas you can ride without a helmet. i'm pretty sure here in california you have to wear one though. weird thing about california is that it's legal for a motorcyclist to weave in and out of traffic- but you have to wear a helmet. so it's ok to ride like a lunatic and endanger your life swerving between traffic but, you have to have a helmet on your head doing it.

Yeah...well, California is full of retarded people.. :roll:

while i was living in texas they (m-cycle riders) lobbied for years to do away with the helmet law. finally a couple of years ago they did away with it. i never understood why anyone would ride without them.

then a rider friend of mine explained that it boils down to the fact that anyone who rides without a helmet is probably a grown man (or woman i guess) who wants to have a freedom of choice and who has accepted the possible outcome of what could happen. and for whatever reason he prefers to excercise that freedom. and that freedom may be more important to them than anything else.

so while some may think it's crazy and hope they would have learned a lesson, to them it's not and they know the possible outcome and risk involved (in most cases). obviously the risk was more important in his mind than his career. you don't necessarily have to respect his view but, you have to accept it.

I just couldn't imagine getting on a motorcycle and not wearing a helmet. One wrong move and your dead, or severely injured. It wouldn't even be a choice to me.

yeah i agree but, we all do things that seem nuts. we smoke or drink and drive or eat crappy foods to shorten our lives. obviously they may not be as drastic as getting plowed helmetless on a motorcycle head on. but sill they're silly choices. i haven't looked at statistics but i'm willing to wager more people die of lung cancer or get killed or injured by a drunk driver yearly than there are motorcycle accidents of this nature.

yeah it's a whacky choice he made but whacky choices make the world go round.

Archived