cybernetic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jays Stay Hot in Boston

April 12, 2006 (Game 1) - Game 8/162

linescore9kz.jpg

main1ry.jpg

Left: Manny Ramirez clocks a Lilly pitch out of the park in the 2nd.

Middle: Shea Hillenbrand answers in the 3rd, him and Overbay went back-to-back.

Right: Terry Francona comes to get Matt Clement in just the 4th inning down 7-1.

icon_tor.gif

The Jays carried over their hot hitting from last night and continued to feast on Red Sox pitching. Matt Clement was roughed up going just 3.2 innings. He allowed 7 runs on 10 hits, including 4 home runs. The Jays went on to win the game by a final of 8-4. Ted Lilly was OK but not great going just 5 innings. He allowed 3 runs on 9 hits but got the win (1-0). Clement had the loss (0-1).

awaybox1hn.jpg

awayline3bu.jpg

homebox6os.jpg

homeline1by.jpg

Toronto Scoring:

1st: Glaus 2-R HR

2nd: Adams RBI groundout

3rd: Overbay HR, Hillenbrand HR, Hill RBI 2B

4th: Wells HR

9th: Overbay RBI groundout

Boston Scoring:

2nd: Ramirez HR

5th: Ortiz RBI groundout, Ramirez RBI 1B

8th: Lowell RBI 1B

Clubhouse Talk:

"It wasn't one of my better starts but I managed to get out of trouble on a few occassions." - Ted Lilly, SP

"Lilly didn't have a great game but our offense carried us tonight. Overbay is just locked in right now and has been a great addition to our team." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Troy Glaus (2-for-4, HR, 2 RBI)

2. Shea Hillenbrand (3-for-4, HR, RBI)

3. Lyle Overbay (1-for-5, HR, 2 RBI)

standings8pw.th.jpg

Outlook:

Josh Towers will be matched up against David Wells in the 2nd game of the day/night doubleheader. Towers is 1-0 with a 4.26 ERA. He allowed 3 runs in 6.1 innings in his first start. David Wells has no record and had his last start skipped.

Transactions:

None.

Towers Seeing Red as Jays Get Hammered

April 12, 2006 (Game 2) - Game 9/162

linescore8xd.jpg

main9iu.jpg

Left: Mark Loretta rounds the bases after a 1st inning home run.

Middle: Loretta adds a grand slam in the 4th.

Right: John Gibbons yanks Towers in the 5th.

icon_tor.gif

Blue Jays pitching took a hard hit tonight in what was the final game of the three game series in Boston. For the most part in the first two games, Jays pitching has held the Red Sox at bay and the Jays could put up enough offence to back it up. Unfortunately, this game was not one of them as the Josh Towers and the Jays were roughed up. Towers went just 4 innings allowing 7 runs on 8 hits. He left after a lead off single in the 5th for Scott Downs who wasn't much better. Downs gave up 4 runs in the inning (one charged to Towers). Finally Pete Walker held the Red Sox offense with a 1-2-3 6th. The Jays would finally get on the board in the bottom of the frame, scoring twice in the inning. The Jays would score another 2 in the 8th on a 2-run jack by Vernon Wells. That would be as close as it got though as the Red Sox would tag on 2 more in the bottom of the 8th and win it 12-5.

The offensive hero of the game for the Red Sox was definitely Mark Loretta as he went 2-for-4 with 2 home runs and 6 RBI. One of his home runs being a grand slam. He also had a sacrifice fly in the 5th. David Wells started for the Red Sox and went 7 innings allowing 3 runs on 9 hits in that time. He also had 8 strikeouts. He improves to 1-0 with the victory while Towers falls to 1-1.

awaybox3lf.jpg

awayline1jh.jpg

homebox1cp.jpg

homeline8ke.jpg

Toronto Scoring:

6th: Hillenbrand 2-RBI 2B

8th: Wells 2-R HR

9th: Rios RBI 1B

Boston Scoring:

1st: Loretta HR

3rd: Nixon RBI 1B

4th: Loretta Grand Slam HR (2)

5th: Lowell 2-RBI 2B, Cora RBI 2B, Loretta SF

8th: Mirabelli RBI 1B, Youkilis RBI FC

Clubhouse Talk:

"I was just awful tonight, nothing else to say about it." - Josh Towers, SP

"Josh Towers didn't have it tonight and he put it us in such a deep hole early on that we couldn't out of." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Mark Loretta (2-for-4, 2 HR, 6 RBI)

2. Mike Lowell (3-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI)

3. Vernon Wells (3-for-5, HR, 2 RBI)

standings8li.th.jpg

Outlook:

The Jays head to Chicago to get their first look at the world series champion Chicago White Sox. Starters for game 1 will be Gustavo Chacin who is 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA against their ace Mark Buehrle who is 1-1 with a 5.11 ERA. Chacin went just 5 1/3 innings in his first start allowing 4 runs on 8 hits. He will look to rebound from it. Mark Buehrle is already making his 3rd start of the season. It is expected that the Jays will option struggling reliever Scott Downs to AAA-Syracuse prior to the game but they haven't decided who to call up.

Transactions:

None.

Jays Recall Flamethrower Brandon League

icon_tor.gif04/13/06 -- The Toronto Blue Jays have recalled RHP Brandon League from AAA-Syracuse and optioned LHP Scott Downs down. League is able to reach 100 MPH on his fastball and struggled last season in limited duty with the Jays. So far this season in Syracuse he is 1-0 in 7 innings pitched (6 appearances) with a 3.86 ERA and 4 saves. He had 5 strikeouts and no walks in that time. He threw a lot of pitches yesterday in an appearance down there so he is not available to pitch in tonight's game (but he is with the team and could be used in an extra innings game but only if absolutely necessarily). He is expected to throw in middle relief for the Blue Jays. His ERA is a bit inflated because he allowed 2 runs in his last appearance.

Downs struggled out of the bullpen for the Blue Jays. He made 4 appearances spanning 2.2 innings. During that time he had a 10.13 ERA with a walk and a 2 strikeouts. He is expected to spot start for Syracuse and could move into the rotation if injuries occur (or someone struggles mightily).

Sox Defeat Jays with 6th Inning Rally

April 13, 2006 - Game 10/162

linescore8ks.jpg

main8oe.jpg

Left: Brian Anderson watches an Alex Rios home run sail over the wall in CF in the 1st.

Middle: Juan Uribe called out on strikes to end the 6th.

Right: Lyle Overbay rounds the bases after a 9th inning HR that made it 3-2.

icon_tor.gif

The Blue Jays and White Sox were locked in a pitcher's duel between lefties Mark Buerhle and Gustavo Chacin. Alex Rios opened the scoring for the Jays belting a 2-0 fastball to straight-away center field for his first home run of the season. The White Sox would come back to tie the game in the bottom of the 2nd on a Juan Uribe RBI double that scored A.J. Pierzynski. Neither pitcher would give much away as far as threats in the game after that until the 6th where Tadahito Iguchi led-off with a double that opened the flood gate as the White Sox then hit 3 straight singles to make it 2-1 and load the bases. Then with 1 out, Joe Crede hit a sacrifice fly to deep center-field just in front of the warning track that made it 3-1. Lyle Overbay would add a solo home run in the top of the 9th with 2 outs to make it 3-2. Then pinch-hitter Eric Hinske doubled to the right-center field gap but was later picked off by Bobby Jenks to end the game. Pinch-hitter Russ Adams was at the plate with a 1-1 count at the time.

Mark Buehrle picked up the win for the White Sox improving to 2-1. He went 7 innings allowing just 1 run on 9 hits and struck out 4. Gustavo Chacin got the loss falling to 0-2. He went 6 innings allowing 3 runs on 8 hits and also struck out 4. Bobby Jenks picked up save #1 despite giving up a home run and a double with 2 outs in the 9th.

awaybox8si.jpg

awayline5da.jpg

homebox3mu.jpg

homeline1qg.jpg

Toronto Scoring:

1st: Rios HR

9th: Overbay HR

Chicago Scoring:

2nd: Uribe RBI 2B

6th: Thome RBI 1B, Crede SF

Clubhouse Talk:

"I feel I pitched a good game I just didn't get it done in the 6th." - Gustavo Chacin, SP

"Chacin pitched very well for us tonight, we just couldn't get much runs to support him." - John Gibbons, Mgr

Jays Notes:

Lyle Overbay has hit 4 home runs in his last 4 games.

3 stars:

1. Mark Buerhle (7.0 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, W)

2. Alex Rios (3-for-4, HR, RBI)

3. Lyle Overbay (2-for-4, HR, RBI)

standings1so.th.jpg

Outlook:

Roy Halladay (0-1, 3.38 ERA) will be matched up against Freddy Garcia (0-1, 7.43 ERA) in the second game of the series. Halladay pitched very well in his last start allowing just a run in 7.1 innings but picked up a no decision. The Blue Jays would go on to lose that game in 11 innings.

probables7rc.th.jpg

Transactions:

Optioned LHP Scott Downs to Triple-A Syracuse; recalled RHP Brandon League from Triple-A Syracuse.

My LF platoon is working with Catalanotto and Johnson playing there plus Rios doesn't play LF.. he only plays RF or CF. That's what I mean by I have no room for him, I looked at different posibilities but all the movements around lead to someone else who is also hitting well getting less at-bats. If Hillenbrand starts to struggle against right-handers I might start platooning them at DH, we'll see how it goes as the season progresses.

Jasy Come Out on Wrong End of Slugfest in Chicago

April 14, 2006 - Game 11/162

linescore6ka.jpg

main7ab.jpg

Left/Middle: Jim Thome and Paul Konerko went back-to-back in the 3rd off Roy Halladay.

Right: Vernon Wells homers in the top of the 4th.

icon_tor.gif

Roy Halladay was entirely too hittable in this afternoon's game in Chicago and didn't give up a run until the the 3rd where Jim Thome belted a 2-run home run and then Paul Konerko followed up on the next pitch with a home run of his own. Vernon Wells answered for the Jays hitting a solo home run in the top of the 4th and then Shea Hillenbrand hit one in the 5th to make it 3-2. The Sox answered back however in the bottom of the frame when A.J. Pierzynski belted a 2-run home run with one out. Halladay would yield a lead-off double to Scott Podsednik in the top of the 6th and then retire Tadahito Iguchi on a flyout before being yanked for Francisco Rosario. Rosario had previously not allowed a run in 4 big league appearances but was not as sharp tonight. He allowed a base hit to Jim Thome that advanced Podsednik to 3rd. He then walked Paul Konerko before Jermaine Dye hit a grand slam to make it 9-2 in favor of the '05 World Champs.

The Jays offense finally woke up in the top of the 7th as Freddy Garcia started to struggle. Lyle Overbay hit a 1-out single that opened the flood gates. Shea Hillenbrand and Bengie Molina would both follow with singles to load the bases. Aaron Hill would then reach on an error that scored pinch-runner Eric Hinske and Hillenbrand. Russ Adams would then bloop a single down the right-field line to load the bases again for Frank Catalanotto who worked a walk out of Freddy Garcia to make it 9-5 and chase Garcia from the game. Dustin Hermanson came in to pitch to Alex Rios who belted a line-drive into the right-center field gap that cleared the bases to make it 9-8. Hermanson then struck out both Vernon Wells and Troy Glaus to end the inning. The Jays bullpen was roughed up in the 8th yielding 6 more runs to the White Sox as Scott Schoeneweis, Jason Frasor and Justin Speier combined to allow 6 straight hits to the White Sox capped off by a grand slam from Scott Podsednik making it 16-8. B.J. Ryan was forced to come in to the stop the bleeding and retired all 3 batters he faced. The Jays would get a 1-out solo home run from Frank Catalanotto in the 9th to make it 16-9 which would be the final score.

Roy Halladay took the loss (0-2) going 5.1 innings. He allowed 7 runs on 12 hits, walked 2 and struck out 1. Freddy Garcia was the winning pitcher but was not very good either. In 6.1 innings he allowed 8 runs on 7 hits, although 2 of the runs were unearned. He also walked a batter and struck out 8. David Riske got a 2-inning save, his first of the season.

awaybox2hp.jpg

awayline7dp.jpg

homebox9gq.jpg

homeline0uz.jpg

Toronto Scoring:

4th: Wells HR

5th: Hillenbrand HR

7th: Hill 2-run E6 (Crede), Catalanotto RBI BB, Rios 3-run 2B

9th: Catalanotto HR

Chicago Scoring:

3rd: Thome 2-run HR, Konerko HR

5th: Pierzynski 2-run HR

6th: Dye Grand Slam

7th: Thome RBI 1B

8th: Crede RBI 1B, Uribe RBI 2B, Podsednik Grand Slam

Clubhouse Talk:

"I just wasn't getting the calls on close pitches and I was forced to challenge them with fastballs over the plate which were getting hammered." - Roy Halladay, SP

"Our pitching staff is just a mess right now. We really have to pick it up" - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Scott Podsednik (4-for-6, 3 R, HR, 4 RBI, SB)

2. Jim Thome (4-for-6, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI)

3. Shea Hillenbrand (4-for-4, 2 R, HR)

standings4td.th.jpg

Outlook:

A.J. Burnett (1-0) is matched up with Jose Contreras (0-0) in the series finale as the Jays try to stave off a sweep. Burnett has been solid for the Jays these season with a 3.21 ERA in 14 innings (2 starts) this season. He also has struck out 14 batters in that time and walked just 3. Contreras has struggled with whopping ERA of 9.28 and walked 6 batters in 2 starts. He has just gone 10.2 innings over those 2 starts but has no decisions.

probables4iy.th.jpg

Transactions:

None.

I found out something odd about my sliders.. the CPU swing rate was set at -25 so the CPU rarely or almost never swung at close pitches so I put it back to 0 so they should swing more and I won't have to throw cookies over the middle in unfavorable counts.

My LF platoon is working with Catalanotto and Johnson playing there plus Rios doesn't play LF.. he only plays RF or CF. That's what I mean by I have no room for him, I looked at different posibilities but all the movements around lead to someone else who is also hitting well getting less at-bats. If Hillenbrand starts to struggle against right-handers I might start platooning them at DH, we'll see how it goes as the season progresses.

Use his recent streak to maybe get something in return for him like a strong reliever.

Archived