• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crede Delivers Walk Off Sweep Over Jays

April 15, 2006 - Game 12/162

CWS 3

TOR 1

icon_tor.gif

The Jays offensive struggles continued despite strong pitching from A.J. Burnett. Burnett pitched a complete game (8.2 innings) but the White Sox walked off a 3-1 victory. Joe Crede belted a 2-run shot in the bottom of the 9th to seal the win for the White Sox as they swept the Blue Jays. Shea Hillenbrand hit a solo home run in the 7th for the only Jays run. They Jays actually out hit the White Sox 9-6 in the game but Jose Contreras managed to get out of countless Jays with runners on. He went 7.2 innings allowing a run on 8 hits but didn't factor into the decision. Burnett fell to 1-1 with the loss. Bobby Jenks picked up the win with a scoreless 9th inning.

Toronto Scoring:

7th: Hillenbrand HR

Chicago Scoring:

3rd: Cintron HR

9th: Crede walk-off 2-run HR

Clubhouse Talk:

"Nice to see some good pitching for us tonight, unfortunately we still lost the game due to our offensive struggling." - John Gibbons, Mgr

3 stars:

1. Joe Crede (2-for-4, walk-off 2-R HR)

2. Jose Contreras (7.2 IP, 8 H, ER, 6K)

3. A.J. Burnett (Loss, 8.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 6 K)

Outlook:

The Jays have an off-day and then head back home to face the New York Yankees. Expected starters for the Jays are Ted Lilly, Josh Towers and Gustavo Chacin. For the Yankees it will be Shawn Chacon, Carl Pavano and Randy Johnson.

Lilly: 1-0, 10 IP, 6.30 ERA, 7 K's, 3 BB's

Chacon: 0-1, 5 IP, 9.00 ERA, 5 K's, 3 BB's

Standings update:

Jays are 5-7 (currently 5th) and 2 game backs of the Yankees who lead the division with a 7-5 record after Sunday's action.

Transactions:

None.

Lilly silences the Bronx Bombers, ends four game skid

April 18, 2006 - Game 13/162

linescore2qj.jpg

main6ot.jpg

Left: Gary Sheffield tracks a Vernon Wells double off the wall.

Middle: Lyle Overbay slaps a double the other way.

Right: Ted Lilly makes an off-balance throw to just get Jorge Posada at 1st

icon_tor.gif

Ted Lilly effectively shutdown the New York Yankees bats in what was a 2-0 Blue Jays victory. Lilly threw 7.2 shutout innings allowing just 4 hits and struck out 5 batters. He allowed just 1 extra base hit, a double to Jason Giambi in the 2nd. The Jays, on the other hand, had 12 hits in the contest including 4 doubles. Shawn Chacon didn't pitch a bad game going 6.1 innings. He allowed 2 runs on 10 hits and struck out just 2 batters in the loss (0-2). The Blue Jays opened the scoring in the 4th when Lyle Overbay doubled to the left-center field gap to score Vernon Wells who earlier doubled. Frank Catalanotto would also hit an RBI double in the 7th for both of the Jays runs. Lilly picked up the win (2-0) and B.J. Ryan picked up his 4th save of the season.

New York Scoring:

None.

Toronto Scoring:

4th: Overbay RBI 2B

7th: Catalanotto RBI 2B

Clubhouse Talk:

"I pitched effectively on both sides of the plate and kept it away from the middle of the plate for the most part. You can't make a mistake to them over the middle or it'll get rocked." - Ted Lilly, SP

"It's tough to keep a good offensive team like that off the scoresheet but we did it. It's good to end that tough losing streak we just came off of.." - John Gibbons, Mgr

Outlook:

Tomorrow's pitching match-up with be Josh Towers (1-1) vs. Carl Pavano (1-0). Pavano made just one start this season and threw a complete game allowing just 1 run. Towers was roughed up in his last start against Boston allowing 7 runs in 4 innings.

C. Pavano - 1-0, 9 IP, 1.00 ERA, 9 K's, 2 BB's

J. Towers - 1-1, 10.1 IP, 8.71 ERA, 2 K's, 4 BB's

Standings Update

Jays are in 4th in the AL East, 1.5 GB of the first place Red Sox. The AL East is wide open early in the season to this point with no team running away with it.

Transactions:

1B Joey Metropolous (A) placed on the 15-day D.L.

good job on Lilly's shutout innings, great game. Only diminished by the fact you went down to pro so early! :p

Take it from someone who's been there so many times (ie offense woes)..

I'm thinking about going back to pro and just adjusting the sliders to make it more difficult. I can't hit on all-star and with the walk-fix I get rocked all the time.

I did that quite a few times in 04, one thing it does is help your hitting timing.

But ideally you want to be challenged constantly.

2 things here: You're at the start of a season, with variable stuff on, the ai invariably makes you start the season slow (unless you're the yankees), something I noticed. So just relax and lose a few games. Started one myself couple days ago and got rocked by Minnesota 6-1 & 8-2 first games. Hey it's April..

I'm not preaching to you, just stating what I've been through. Was gonna say something else but I forgot lol

If you're gonna tweak sliders, you're better doing so at Allstar level, the effect is more dramatic: tweaking you up on allstar is more effective in my view than tweaking the cpu up in Pro

did that make sense?

sounds good. that's the right way to go. As for the datafile I'm working on one that addresses just that, among other things, it makes pitching harder, but not as hard as spitoon's pitching adjustements (if you know what i'm talking about). Basically it makes the perfect zone a tad smaller, the meter a little faster and the overall accuracy a little smaller. Also added some cpu patience at the plate. They strike out looking more and they also swing at balls outside the zone. Overall, a more realistic game. Still tweaking.

Look for some datafiles in the downloads and try some. I'll have something temporary ready sometime this week which I can send you if you want. In the meantime a datafile + sliders on AS is probably the way to go. If you know how to edit the datafile, I'll send you some lines.

Later

I've tried a bunch of them and can't find one I like (in every aspect). I don't know how to edit a datafile.

What 'type' of game do you like? High scoring? Low scoring? Strategy based? (stealing, bunting, making tough decisions in tight games)

Just curious. I like my games as realistic as I can get them.

I've tried a bunch of them and can't find one I like (in every aspect). I don't know how to edit a datafile. I'll try your combo datafile.

I hear you, it's not that hard to edit, maybe you should look into it. A few lines here and there, and you can improve the game to your tastes. It's hard to please everyone so editing is your best bet. BTW, my combo only works with 04. I'll have something for 05 soon.

Just curious. I like my games as realistic as I can get them.

Same here, i don't mind losing if it's a realistic game. Right now I'm obsessed with getting the ball to come off the bat right. I hate those powershots that bolt 100 ft in the air, or rope singles that land in deep outfield, and those balls that ricochet off walls at the speed of light. Things like that throw me off.

I like it to vary.. with the datafile I have if I make any mistakes in the middle or close to the middle it's a home run. I play AL so there's not much bunting really. Once in a while a high-scoring game but usually close tight games.

yep sounds like you need something to tone down the hitting. Go with RRodkey's datafile, if you tried it, try again with sliders. I have something similar working right now but less toned down than Ron's. Basically I make a ton of mistakes in the middle or in hot zones but I don't get blasted all the time, more times it's a double or triple. T

he only time the cpu hits homers is on realistic giveaway pitches, like a hanging curve inside on a power pull hitter, things like that. Rod's file has some of that, only problem is it limits your power hitting, but that's not such a bad thing, just makes games closer. He also incorparated spitoons human pitching tweaks which can be extreme.

RodData2005

Alright.. I installed it.. I'll put the sliders back to default except the foul one and see how it goes.

I don't mind spitoon's pitching thing as lose as the CPU won't hit a home run every time I just miss especially with guys who are not home run hitters like Scott Podsednik and Alex Cintron

Alright.. I installed it.. I'll put the sliders back to default except the foul one and see how it goes.

I don't mind spitoon's pitching thing as lose as the CPU won't hit a home run every time I just miss especially with guys who are not home run hitters like Scott Podsednik and Alex Cintron

that's exactly how I try it, datafile, no sliders except foul balls, work from there. If you want that datafile without the pitching tweak let me know, I can edit it

This is a mixture of Pared's, Hoops 27, and my (JoeRudi26) own sliders. Of course it all depends on your skill level, but for me this is about as realistic as I have gotten this game to play.

Around 8 or 9 hits a game, 5 or 6 runs, 4-8 k's, 3 walks. As far as the datafile, the only thing I've used was True's (#5) Ariel View (which opens up the sky and let's you see the stadium) and I removed the PIP. You have to get used to the *distance* on fly balls, but it's definately worth it. Excellent view, btw.

On the All-Star level, this is the best I've found. Again, it depends on your skill level and everyone is different. Try it if you want....or not.

Just trying to help. :)

Good Luck!

User Pitching Difficutly (-50)

Pitch Speed ( 25 )

CPU Ball Rate ( 8 )

User Pitcher Fatigue ( -10 )

CPU Pitcher Fatigue ( 6 )

User Pitcher Control ( -20 )

CPU Pitcher control ( 0 )

Bullpen Fatigue Rate ( 0 )

Bullpen Fatigue Grace ( 0 )

User Batting Contact ( 10 )

CPU Batting Contact ( -50 )

User Batting Power ( 10)

CPU Batting Power ( -50 )

User Bunting Ability ( 5 )

CPU Bunting Ability ( -7 )

User Foul Ball Frequency ( 50 )

CPU Foul Ball Frequency ( 50 )

CPU Swing Frequency ( -25)

User OF Speed (MANUAL) (2)

CUP OF Speed ( 2 )

User INF Speed (MANUAL) (3 )

User INF Speed (MVP) ( 0 )

CPU INF Speed ( 0 )

User Throw Speed ( 0 )

CPU Throw Speed ( 0 )

User Throw Accuracy ( 0 )

CPU Throw Accuracy ( 0 )

User Catch Error ( 4 )

CPU Catch Error ( 4 )

User Dive Difficulty ( 0 )

CPU Catch Effort ( -15 )

User Baserunning Speed ( -10 )

CPU Baserunning Speed ( 0 )

User Runner Aggression ( 0 )

CPU Runner Aggression ( -7 )

User Runner Steal Spd (2 )

CPU Runner Steal Spd ( 2 )

User Runner Steal Delay ( -3 )

CPU Runner Steal Dealy ( -3 )

CPU Steal Rate ( 7 )

Runner Injury Freq (0 )

Pitcher Injury Freq ( 0 )

Batter Injury Freq ( 0 )

Fielder Injury Freq ( 0 )

Pitching MG ( 5 )

Jays Complete Mini-Series Sweep Over Yankees

April 19, 2006 - Game 14/162

linescore3dw.jpg

main7yp.jpg

Left: A Hideki Matsui error in the 3rd allowed Russ Adams to score on an inside-the-park home run.

Middle: Gary Sheffield scores to tie the game in the 5th.

Right: Matsui watches a Troy Glaus home run that put the Jays back on top for good.

icon_tor.gif

Josh Towers and Carl Pavano were locked in a pitcher's duel tonight and neither starter wanted to budge. Pavano did not allow a hit until the 6th inning but found him team down 1-0 in the 3rd. Russ Adams blooped an opposite field single in front of Hideki Matsui that he missed played. The ball rolled all the way to the wall and Adams came around to score on the inside-the-park home run, although it was ruled as an error to Matsui. The Yankees would tie the game in the 5th inning. Bernie Williams stepped up with runners on 1st and 3rd and one out and hit a sacrifice fly, just deep enough to score Gary Sheffield from third. Towers would get out of the inning with the game still tied. Both teams exchanged chances with runners in scoring position and failed to cash them in. Towers left the game in the 7th with 2 runners on after allowing back-to-back singles to Jorge Posada and Bernie Williams. Francisco Rosario got out of the jam, getting two groundballs. The Jays took the lead in the bottom of the frame when Troy Glaus belted a Carl Pavano offering into the left-field seats down the foul line for his 3rd home run of the season, giving the Jays a slim 2-1 lead. The Jays bullpen shut the door from there and sealed Rosario's first major league win.

Carl Pavano picked up the loss throwing a complete game. He allowed just 3 hits and 2 runs, only one of which was earned. He didn't walk anyone and struck out 10. Josh Towers went an effective 6 1/3 innings allowing a run on 6 hits, walked a batter and struck out 2. B.J. Ryan picked up his 5th save of the season with a 1-2-3 9th inning.

New York Scoring:

5th: Williams SF scored Sheffield.

Toronto Scoring:

3rd: Adams scored on fielding error by Hideki Matsui.

7th: Glaus HR.

Clubhouse Talk:

"I pitched effectively tonight and kept them off-balance with my off-speed stuff." - Josh Towers, SP

"Josh (Towers) is a good kid. He just doesn't have great stuff and he can get hammered if he doesn't hit his spots, thankfully he hit them for most of the night and threw a hell of a game." - John Gibbons, Mgr

awaybox5ps.jpg

awayline3cj.jpg

homebox4ta.jpg

homeline9mj.jpg

Outlook:

Fresh off a sweep of the Yankees, the Jays have an off-day and then welcome the division leading Boston Red Sox. Boston (9-7) leads the Jays and Yankees by 1.5 games. The starters in the opener will be Gustavo Chacin (0-2) against Josh Beckett (0-1). Beckett has been extremely wild this season and the Jays should try to feast on that.

probables3hf.jpg

standings2rl.jpg

Transactions:

None.

The results of this game were pretty good.. a close game. Not a lot of home runs on pitches that just miss. I missed a few times over the middle and they either flew out, popped out or grounded out not like with the other datafile.

Great game, cyber. You pulled it off without getting the hits. Your pitching was key.

My pitching is always the key to my games, I can't hit well at all-star. Also I always struggle against Pavano. I'm thinking if I should play another game tonight or go to bed and start the series against Boston tomorrow.

It's above.. Chacin vs. Beckett

Sorry, missed it. Great matchup.

I've got Zito and Schmidt going at it. Should be a good day to look at stats.

Paint the corners, mix up speeds, and don't give them anything in the red zone. Be patient at the plate. Take a strike, and then look for one down the middle.

At least that's what I do.

Sorry, missed it. Great matchup.

I've got Zito and Schmidt going at it. Should be a good day to look at stats.

Paint the corners, mix up speeds, and don't give them anything in the red zone. Be patient at the plate. Take a strike, and then look for one down the middle.

At least that's what I do.

Yeah I know how to pitch. It's just when I bat I chase too much many pitches that look like they'll be a strike and then break out. I've gotten better at patience lately though and actually got a walk against Chicago (my only walk of the season that wasn't intentional). I also pitch with no strikezone or hot/cold zones. Really what I do is work the outside corner, bust them inside and up with hard stuff.. try to get them to chase breaking stuff when I got 2 strikes on them or throw up and out of the zone.

There is no doubt hitting is harder on All-Star. After I moved up from Pro, I was averaging about 3 hits a game on All-Star. For me, it takes patience. It's EXTREMELY hard to do, but if you watch the pitch history, and mix in some guesses, the hits will come. And eventually (with gameplay strategy) the runs will come too.

I'm not trying to tell you how to play, I'm just telling you about my own experiences on All Star. Your Dynasty looks really good so far, so keep it up!

Well it depends on which pitcher I face.. some of them I just hit better against and get more hits off of. Others, I struggle because of their movement to make solid contact and hit a lot of weak grounders. The CPU also doesn't make as many mistakes over the middle on all-star.

Archived