nothing off the field to show leadership qualities. He is not a vocal

leader whatsoever! Tek defends his guys, and would do anything to

protect his team. I THINK Bernie Williams would make a better captain

than Jeter. Jeter has one of the best players in baseball on his team

in AROD and does nothing to help and shield him from all the boos

and crap that he has to deal with. Personally I believe Jeter in a sick

way enjoys the crap that AROD has to go through, so yeah Varitek is

a better captain.

JASon varitex is the best captain in baseball. this guy can play 19 innings !!!

That makes him a good player, not a good captain.

There is no point whatsoever to naming team captains in baseball. Basically, a captain in any sport is primarily someone who converses with referees when a coach can't, the examples being in hockey and football. In baseball, the manager or any coach can speak directly to the umpire at any time, so there is no need for one. In football, they do the coin toss, sometimes call plays and accept or decline penalties. Baseball has none of that, so why have them?

And they don't need a "C" on their jersey to be a vocal leader in the dressing room. In hockey especially, the guy with the "C" is basically the fall guy. If a team doesn't perform upt o expectations, then he is generally the guy everyone looks to, usually to blame. And of course, when the team succeeds, he's always the first guy you look to to praise.

Baseball is different, because it is based on individual play, not team play. One player can stil hurt his team as a whole, but its always obvious who to blame. If the Yankees struggle, or if one player is struggling, the clear example at present being ARod, its much easier and more obvious to put blame on him. Even if Jeter was only hitting .250 for the month, if Arod is stil struglling the way he is, the blame goes to ARod. Jeter can't affect the way Arod is hitting or fielding, so the burden is not his to carry, even if he is the "captain."

Archived