D-Unit

How is this going?  

21 members have voted

1. 1.

• Great
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad

Ever since the Tampa Bay Devil Rays were conceived in 1998, they have had a string of horrible seasons, something that is stark contrast to their fellow expansion team, the Arizona Diamondbacks who won it all in 2001. But in 2006, while they don't have a boatload of superstars or even above average players, they have plenty of talent in the minors, like Delmon Young as well as future stars in the majors. Players like Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli, Jonny Gomes, and Scott Kazmir to offer more than just a glimmer of hope in their team's future.

Breaking News

The Devil Rays have just announced a new General Manager, and his name is Jason Cashman, who is the younger brother of Yankee GM Brian Cashman. "Hopefully my team can be as successful as my brother's was" said Cashman, who has contributed to three World Series titles since 1998. "The organization told me they were looking for a GM who wasn't afraid to dig up some minor league prospects and trade them for some MLB talent. And I will do what it takes to win, simple as that. Expect a busy Spring Training to start off the season."

-------

Does this sound good guys? It feels kinda weird not doing a Yankee dynasty here.

Btw guys, please let me know what you are voting for, and if you have any constructive criticism or comments, let me know. With my last dynasty, I had like 8 bad votes before the thing even started.

Jason Cashman has been looking into both pitching and offense this Spring, and noted that he has shown interest in the Nationals' Alfonso Soriano and Ryan Zimmerman. When asked for comment, he said "Expect a big deal or two. I want this team to contend this year, and if it means taking money out of my own pocket along with our owner's, then so be it. I want to win." Strong words have given glimmers of hope to the fans in the Tampa Bay Area, where the young franchise prepares for a season in the toughest division in baseball.

Good start to the dynasty.

Zimmerman is decent at best but Soriano is money. I'm playing with the Nationals (modded so I'm really playing with the Expos) in my Dynasty and I must say that if you're looking to nab a few players off their Nats' roster you should opt for:

Starters:

John Patterson

Ramon Ortiz

From the pen:

Kevin Gryboski

Ryan Wagner

Fielders:

Alfonso Soriano

Cristian Guzman

---

I enjoy building a strong NL team so I go for speed over power. Soriano is the only guy on the Nats' roster that does both!

More trade talk has the Hot Stove burning. Rumor has it that the Devil Rays have been talking to the Tigers about pitching, possibly snagging one of Detroit's endless supply of young power arms, but will likely have to give up a position prospect in exchange. No specific players have been mentioned.

Does this sound good guys? It feels kinda weird not doing a Yankee dynasty here.

*What the hell is this??? I read this thread yesterday and I passed out. I just woke up right now. Another good Yankee fan going by the wayside. Just breaks my heart.

Let's have a vote!

*If anyone thinks I'm serious, you are nuts. I really feel like I have to say this in here because of some people.

*What the hell is this??? I read this thread yesterday and I passed out. I just woke up right now. Another good Yankee fan going by the wayside. Just breaks my heart.

banhimpi2.gif

Let's have a vote!

*If anyone thinks I'm serious, you are nuts. I really feel like I have to say this in here because of some people.

Really? This is banable? Geez...

I say go after pitching - the D-Rays offensive players pan out very well in this game (Cantu, Crawford, Baldelli, Young). At the most you might want to get a shortstop or third baseman - but I wouldn't trade either of those four to do it. :D

go get arod he will help ya :lmao:

For some reason, I think this is a meaningless post, but I don't know why...oh wait a minute, I know!

spamwb6.jpg

Btw, A-Rod > Lowell any day of the week of the month of the year of the decade of the century...yeah you get the idea.

Maybe you need to flush the toilet, because you're full of ****.

TRADE WINDS WHIRLING ABOUT

Devil Rays GM Jason Cashman has announced a press conference to start within the next hour, and has reportedly struck a few deals with numerous teams from both the American League and National League. Stay tuned as the conference results will be posted soon.

FOUR HUGE DEALS SHOCK MLB

In one of the more memorable days of the young Devil Rays' franchise, Jason Cashman held a press conference in Tampa, FL to announce an unprecedented 7 new players aquired by the Florida ballclub in one day. He also dropped another bombshell in that they signed some key players to contract extensions to raise the total budget from 37.1 million dollars to 62.3 million dollars.

First, the red carpet was rolled out for reliever Joel Zumaya and starting pitcher Andrew Miller. Both throw in the high 90's and have just hit their twenties. Jae Weong Seo and Doug Waechter were sent to Detroit in exchange, along with cash considerations. Cashman called it a "huge steal." Zumaya will automatically become the team's new closer, and Miller will fight for the 5 spot in the rotation in the Spring.

Then J-Cash welcomed Andy Pettitte and Joe McEwing to the team, exported from Houston in exchange for Casey Fossum and J.P. Howell, two starting pitchers. Pettitte said "It's not about the money, it's about winning. Plus, my family liked Florida a lot and said they wouldn't mind the move, the nail in the coffin for me." McEwing will likely start the year in AAA but can play all positions.

One of the bigger deals by Cashman was aquiring a few big names from the Milwaukee Brewers. The six man swap featured Prince Fielder, Kevin Mench, and Freddy Parejo. Prince and Mench will become full time starters at first and right, with Parejo starting in A ball.

Then the third base vacancy the Rays had was finally fulfilled when it was announced that Ryan Zimmerman, along with center fielder Nook Logan and 2B Greg Theissen (Thiessen will be in AA, a second base prospect.) The Devil Rays threw in two pitching prospects in Chris Mason, Brian Stokes, and speedy outfielder Damon Hollins.

The following contract extensions were:

Scott Kazmir - 5 years, $15 million

Andrew Miller - 3 years, $3.6 million

Ryan Zimmerman - 4 years, $4 million

Prince Fielder - 4 years, $6 million

Edwin Jackson - 3 years, $4.8 million

The rotation was mentioned as going like this:

Scott Kazmir

Andy Pettitte

Jason Hammel

James Shields

Andrew Miller *

*Pending Spring Training performance

the lineups will be set as:

Vs. LHP

LF Carl Crawford

CF Rocco Baldelli

DH Jonny Gomes

1B Prince Fielder

RF Kevin Mench

3B Ryan Zimmerman

2B Jorge Cantu

C Dioner Navarro

SS BJ Upton

Vs. LHP

LF Carl Crawford

CF Rocco Baldelli

DH Jonny Gomes

1B Prince Fielder

2B Jorge Cantu

3B Ryan Zimmerman

RF Kevin Mench

C Dioner Navarro

SS BJ Upton

-----------------------------------

What do you think?

[align=center]Opening Day Pitching Showdown Ends in D-Rays' Favor

april3rdboxscorevy9.jpg

BALTIMORE - A pitcher's duel between two young, hard throwing lefties emerged in Camden Yards, but only one winner emerged, as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays snuck out a 2-1 victory from under the Baltimore Orioles to start the season. The D-Rays' Scott Kazmir (1-0) went 7 1/3 innings to pick up the win, allowing one run on seven hits with a walk and six strikeouts, including fanning the side in the seventh. Eric Bedard pitched brilliantly (8 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6K), but earned the loss due to the Baltimore offense, or a lack of.

The only scoring from Tampa Bay came with two outs in the second inning, which was started by a Jorge Cantu walk. Dioner Navarro drilled an RBI double into the gap, and BJ Upton hustled out an RBI double of his own and just like that, the D-Rays were up 2-0. There were plenty of opportunities to score for the Orioles, such as the fifth inning. The bases were loaded with only one out, and Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon told Ryan Zimmerman to move in a little from third. He did, and Fernando Tatis hit a slow roller to third. Zimmerman was running in on contact, and fired the ball home, which was relayed to first by Navarro to turn a 5-2-3 double play to end the inning, no damage done.

The D-Rays also had some more chances to score, such as the eighth inning. With two outs and one on, Jonny Gomes was intentionally walked to face Prince Fielder. The Prince ripped an inside changeup deep to right center field, but was run down on a great play by Nick Markakis to end the inning. The Orioles finally pushed a run across in the bottom frame, as Fernando Tatis led off with a triple, scoring on Melvin Mora's sacrifice fly to right. Kevin Mench had a great jump on the ball and made a great throw, but fell just short of nailing Tatis at the plate. At that point, Maddon had seen enough and put in set up man Edwin Jackson. He retired the next two batters to end the eighth, and Joel Zumaya, the flamethrowing prospect aquired from the Detroit Tigers, made his Major League Debut and pitched a scoreless ninth inning with an array of 100 mph fastballs to pick up the first save of his promising young career.

Game Photo Gallery

april3rdtb2bal1mr2.jpg

Top Left - Dioner Navarro smacking his RBI double in the second inning.

Top Right - Scott Kazmir was dominant, allowing just one run over 7 1/3 innings.

Bottom Left - [Defensive Play Of The Game] Miguel Tejada snatching a ground ball up the middle and throwing out Rocco Baldelli on the run, the throw barely beating him.

Bottom Right - Closer Joel Zumaya pumps his fist after recording his first career save in his MLB Debut.[/align]

D-Rays Transaction News

The Devil Rays have announced that Shawn Camp of their AAA affiliate, the Durham Bulls, has been released. To fill the void, the Devil Rays announced the signing of a relief prospect to a minor league contract, 20 year old Justin Wilson (He's one of those randomly generated prospects). Wilson is 6'2", 213 lbs. He throws a 4 seamer, 2 seamer, changeup and knucklecurve. He tops out in the low 90's. He will start in A ball with the Visalia Oaks but is projected to move quickly up the ranks.

Recaps and MLB News

Game 2 - TB def. BAL 6-1

W - Pettitte (1-0) L - Benson (0-1)

Cory Sullivan (COL) - Torn Knee MCL - 60 Day DL

Bronson Arroyo (CIN) - Sprained Right Hip Flexor - 15 Day DL

Game 3 - BAL def. TB 5-2

W - Loewen (1-0) L - Hammel (0-1)

Game 4 - TB def. TOR 6-5

W - Jackson (1-0) L - Speier (0-1) S - Zumaya (2)

Jason Giambi (NYY) - Minor MCL Sprain - 15 Day DL

***READ THIS***

I am wondering what game you guys want me to play next. The next game could be a matchup of rookies making their MLB Debut, Andrew Miller vs. Shawn Marcum. Or I could sim that game and do the mini-recap like above, and show Scott Kazmir vs. Roy Halladay. What do you think?

Archived