The future of PC baseball games

Sean O

Hey folks-

So, like it or not, the agreement between mlb/mlbpa and take-two has obviously killed the future of EA games for the PC. And while we have MVP2005, its limitations are becoming more and more pronounced every day. Without an accurate dynasty / owner mode, weather, pitching stamina, 40 man roster, etc. etc. MVP will simply outlive our requirements sooner rather than later.

I think it's time that we start taking matters into our own hands. EA cannot help us if we ever want a new project, and so if we ever want progress, we'll have to do it ourselves.

With 37,000 people in the mvpmods community, and with the excellent graphical and programming skill we've seen so far, we've seen some remarkable mods over the years. I think that with a solid, shared effort of the most talented members, we could attempt our own Open-Source game. It's the only chance we'll have for something new.

So if anyone has programming, graphical, or other particular skills and experience, let's see if we have a shot.

But, I mean, there are countless open source games either in production or released, so while baseball is obviously difficult, anything we come up with will be an improvement. Regardless, unless OOTP decides to drastically change, we have no alternatives available to us, and MVP is already terribly aged. We're kind of in a tight spot.

it'd be a great idea if anyone is willing to do it. i always thought the best baseball (or any sports game for that matter) should be done sort of like how iTunes works. it should have a good base, but with each year you can add new players, rosters, uniforms and so forth. that way you can just go to some website, like this, and just purchase players you want. sort of like baseball cards.

the idea is to have a base game. instead of buying a new game every year, you can just get updates and so forth. if you just wanted to add particular players, new or old, you can do that too. anyhow, it's just an idea of how i would've liked a baseball game made. that's it. in fact, it's pretty much how this site works if you don't get it. the idea isn't to have to pay for players and so forth, just merely how game companies could've made their sports franchises work better (ie sort of like iTunes).

I have programming experience in C++ and some other languages we probably won't be using to make this game. I do have industry experience but not in the gaming industry. I'm sure there's a difference. I would love to take part in some sort of project if it gets going. Mind you guys it won't be full time though. At least you don't have to pay me. :p

yea how would we finance this. You know we'd need a whole bunch more bandwidth, and we can't charge without getting sued... (and we've already been down this road before)... and thats assuming all the work is volunteer...

Well, here's the thing though, we release it in an OOTP way, with fantasy teams, leagues and stadiums. Then, because we're all so used to modding them anyway, a third-party can release the MLB/MLBPA information free, since it's unrelated. The benefit of this is that we can really have different league structures instead of shoe-horning it into the 30 current teams and 6 divisions.

Again, this is all theoretical. But even if it's released in phases (start off with batting practice, then a home run derby mode, and so on), progress is being made.

Here is the list of people that have released programs for MVP

Fuzz - VB-net

Rglass -VB6

Ty - C++

Rickho - VB5

I'm not seeing anybody here that can do 3d graphics, maybe I'm wrong Ty?

I don't have any experience doing 3d graphics.

Edit: I don't see how EA's source code would really be of much value to 2k. The games are substantially different, so the code really wouldn't be all that useful to them, in my opinion.

Also, EA's PC code probably would not be of much value to EA either. I mean if they can't make an MLB game for several years(and really haven't shown any intention of releasing a college game for PC), if they ever get the rights to make another MLB game, they would probably have to come up with a new engine to keep up with the times.

So, at least in my mind, there is a chance that we could get EA's source code for MVP 2005.

this may be a dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by 3d graphics? In a sense, arent kc's unis, and all the stadiums and faces 3d? maybe im just totally dumb and really missing it here...

also, i dont see how ea would be totally opposed to releasing PC source code because its not like take two does a pc game anyways... but then again ea enjoys screwing pc users, so i highly doubt theyll do it...

Edit: I don't see how EA's source code would really be of much value to 2k. The games are substantially different, so the code really wouldn't be all that useful to them, in my opinion.

Yea, I don't see how it would be of much value to 2K either but judging on the way EA has behaved in the past towards the modding community I think it would be very unlikely they would release the source code

I don't have any experience doing 3d graphics.

Also, EA's PC code probably would not be of much value to EA either. I mean if they can't make an MLB game for several years(and really haven't shown any intention of releasing a college game for PC), if they ever get the rights to make another MLB game, they would probably have to come up with a new engine to keep up with the times.

So, at least in my mind, there is a chance that we could get EA's source code for MVP 2005.

PC code and xbox code are real close to each other, that might stop them

Archived