Viva El Birdos: A 1967 Cardinals Dynasty

HardcoreLegend

The Pirates have 5 or 6 guys in the Top 20 in almost every offensive catagory. It's sickening.

Besides Allen, the Phillies are a terrible, terrible team. I also want to know who the funny guy was that used Mark Mulder's face for Rick Wise? The sardistic humor that Mark Mulder is today's Rick Wise and Dan Haren is today's Steve Carlton.

Very funny....NOT! :D

Yep my Phillies are in dead last for me as well ........ even trailing the lowly Mets & Astros .......... Callison is having a horrendous year .....

I have to confess that I placed those faces on those guys only because of my attempt to get something close to their likeness .......... I really don't even know who Mark Mulder or Dan Haren are or who they even play for ! I am truly stuck in the '60s of Baseball and know so few players these days. If you have better suggestions from other players in TC67 let me know and I will be glad to do the surgery. I do adjust those as I discover closer fits for players likenesses. Will likely release an updated 61* & 67 with a few adjustments/tweaks after the '64 season is released.

Maris 4 for 4, Triple short of cycle

Game 41: Boxscore

St. Louis Cardinals vs Philadelphia Phillies

Ray Washburn vs Dick Ellsworth

Connie Mack Stadium

Roger Maris may want to consider playing in Philadelphia after his days in St. Louis are done, or just never head back to Busch.

During the Cardinals 3 game series in Philladelphia this past week, Maris went 8 for 12 with 6 runs scored and 3 RBIs. The Cardinals scored 11 runs and Maris crossing homeplate accounted for over half of them.

Maris started the Cardinals scoring in the first with a peculiar homerun off the rightfield overhang.

[align=justify]marishr3.jpg[/align][align=justify]marishr3facade.jpg[/align]

"I thought that ball was going to go foul before it go to the wall, but when I saw it bounce back towards the infield, I couldn't figure out what happened, " joked Maris. "That second one, though, shoulda been a homer. I figure it all evens out."

[align=justify]marisgame40single.jpg[/align]

The 'second one' Maris refers to is his 5th inning RBI double that barely caught the top of the wall to bounce back into play. Maris had singled in the third and stepped to bat in the 7th a triple away from the cycle.

He roped the first pitch he saw down the left field line and as he rounded second, slowed up satisfied with his production.

"I didn't want to get greedy. It was still a close game and I didn't want to make the last out at 3rd with Ceppy up behind me." Maris said.

Roger was right. Cepeda picked up his 18th RBI on the year with a single to center. Cepeda's RBI gave the Cardinals a 5-3 lead, which would be crucial. Joe Hoerner gave up a run in the bottom of the ninth, to cut the lead to 1 before he locked up his 4th save. It was his third of the series.

Ray Washburn, competing for the final starting position went 8 innings striking out 7. He gave up 6 hits, but a few careless defensive plays by the Redbirds hung him with some of those hits and all 3 of his earned runs.

[align=justify]shannongame40.jpg[/align]

But the real story was Maris. Maris with his current roadtrip has raised his average to .217. Just 22 games ago, Maris was hitting .132. He has raised it 85 points in those 22 games. His production has also increased, giving him 14 RBIs on the season, leaving him just outside the NL Top 40.

The Cardinals travel to Cinncinnati for a 3 game set. Their record now stands at 31-10.

Thanks.

At the quarter mark in the season, the Cardinals pressing concerns:

-Curt Flood's lack of hitting

-Brock's struggles to reach base

-Consistent production from the bottom of the order

-Finding Dave Rickett's a place in the lineup for his bat

Around the League, Ernie Banks through 41 games has 44 RBIs and 11 Homeruns. Bob Gibson leads the National League in almost every pitching catagory except wins. The Cardinals are the runaway leader in the National League, in the Central they lead by 8.5 games.

Here are some random photos from the first quarter of the season:

brockceppyshannon.jpg

brockmarisfist.jpg

brockslide.jpg

brockwrigley.jpg

gibbyforbes.jpg

Gibson rips team

Game 42: Boxscore

St. Louis Cardinals vs Philadelphia Phillies

Bob Gibson vs Milt Pappas

Crosley Field

How can the league's best pitcher have lost as many as he's won? If you ask him, he's not to blame.

"I'm a proud person. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I go out there and work my *** off everytime I take the mound and I haven't seen a hitter yet this season that has beat me twice in one game," said Gibson.

"But these ******* morons of an offense we have is a disgrace. I don't know if I pissed some of them off in the past or what, but everytime I take the bump they take Goddamn toothpicks to the plate with them."

If he thought they might have been upset in the past, he certainly isn't endearing himself to them now.

[align=center]Gibbygm42.jpg[/align]

Gibson against the Reds in the first half of yesterday's double header was his dominant self. Through 10 innings, Gibby allowed only 3 hits while striking out 11. Unfortunately for him, the Cardinals bats once again fell one big hit away from getting him a win.

Finally, fatigued be defiantly refusing to leave the mound when Red attempted to remove him, Gibson relinquished two singles before striking out the third batter in the 11th inning. Pete Rose, who had started the game with a single, hit a deep fly ball to the wall in rightcenter that gave the Reds the winning run.

"I wasn't going to leave that mound. I wanted each one of those guys to walk off the field and look me in the face if we lost that game. I don't know what I did to deserve this disrespect, but I won't put up with much more of it, "Gibson said immediatly after the game.

When asked what more he could do, Gibson replied, "Hell, I dunno...hit 2 Homeruns, I guess."

The Cardinals bats were once again stiffled by a knuckleball or palm ball throwing pitcher.

[align=right]marishitgm42.jpg[/align]

The Cardinals face the Reds in a night cap of the double header. Steve Carlton will take the mound.

• 3 months later...

No write up for this, however the Cardinals took the Dodgers into the 11th inning in a 1-1 tie. Mike Torrez, the 2nd Cardinals relief pitcher singled with 2 outs in the 11th. On the 2nd pitch of the at-bat, Lou Brock crushed a 94 mph fastball for a 2-run HR. The HR registered at 466 feet, however that is only because it hit the roof of Dodger stadium.

Sexy.

brockdodgerroof.jpg

• 4 months later...

McCarver, Flood Power Cards

Game 76: Boxscore

St. Louis Cardinals vs NY Mets

Ray Washburn vs Danny Frisella

Shea Stadium

With a makeshift lineup in to start the series, the Cardinals relied on two regulars for their offense.

Returning to the leadoff spot for the first time in 3 games, Lou Brock started the Cardinals offense with an infield bunt single. Brock, who is becoming notorious for his ability to bunt for hits just as likely as he is to drive a double over an outfielders head, was on base for McCarver's drive.

Tim McCarver jumped on the first offering from Mets starting pitcher Danny Frisella, a ball he slapped the opposite way into the leftfield porch.

"This year, I've been seeing the ball really well. I appreciate Red having enough faith in me to bump me up in the lineup ahead of a couple of veteran's on this team."

[align=center]picture119.jpg[/align]

One of those veterans, Curt Flood, made it known that he is just as dangerous batting in the #2 spot as he was lower in the order as well.

In the 6th inning, Flood unleashed on a 2-1 curveball that reached rare air. Some 465 feet later, the ball bounced into the side of Harry Rheinsdorf's brand new Ford Fairlane.

Rheinsdorf, a Met's season ticket holder, said he wasn't too concerned about the car. Flood, when approached by the Mets front office, sent over one of his used gloves to Rheinsdorf's home later that night. When asked about the glove, "My son loves it. I just told him it was Cleon Jones'.

[align=right]picture120-1.jpg[/align]

Julian Javier added an RBI single in the 6th as well.

Ray Washburn, getting a rare spot start, held the Mets to no runs on 4 hits in 6 innings pitched. Washburn picked up his 6th win and lowered his ERA to 0.75. Mike Torrez, the Cardinals most reliable reliever, added 3 innings of relief for the save.

The Cardinals and Mets will lock up tomorrow night for Game 2 of the 3 game series.

Shannon on the move?

New York - With the St. Louis Cardinals in New York this weekend, there is increasing buzz that the Cardinals and Mets may be in talks to swap thirdbasemen.

picture825.jpg

It is of no secret that the Cardinals and Mike Shannon have become disenchanted with each other, mostly due to Shannon's struggles both offensive and defensively. There was talk earlier this month of sending Shannon down to AAA, a revelation that left the player jaded towards the front office.

picture032.jpg

For the Cardinals, the most logical fix, is a reaquiring of Ken Boyer. Boyer, a World Series hero of the Cardinals in the 1964 season, was traded by the franchise for the largely ineffective Al Jaster.

While no deal is imminent, the timing that makes the most sense is while both teams are in the same city.

Anyways, I threw this up here because I wanted people's opinion. I know the Cardinals had no trade in 1967 for Boyer but I can't stand to have Shannon on the team anymore. He has cost the team 3 games with 9th inning errors and his offense is flat-out terrible anymore.

What is the protocol on this sort of thing? Should I just ride it out with the current lineup?

Cepeda Back To Work

Game 77: Boxscore

St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets

Steve Carlton vs Bob Hendley

Shea Stadium

A day after being given a breather because his manager believed he was wearing down, Orlando Cepeda slugged his way back into the lineup.

Batting in the cleanup spot, to give himself more RBI opportunities and to give struggling third basemen Mike Shannon more pitches to hit, "Ceppy" showed by he is the 'Baby Bull'.

In the first inning, after a Roger Maris opposite field double, Cepeda struck out with 2 outs to end the inning after a 9 pitch at-bat. That would be the last time the Mets retired Cepeda.

[align=left]cepedahr16.jpg[/align]

Cepeda would homer in the 4th and single in both the 6th and 8th innings. Poor base running in the 8th, on a miscommunication between Maris and the bench would deprive Cepeda of his second RBI on the day.

The 4th inning homerun by Cepeda, his NL leading 16th, traveled 341 feet and crashed off a right field railing.

[align=center]cepedahr16wall.jpg[/align]

Cepeda would not be the only Cardinals hitter to have a good day at the dish. Lou Brock walked and hit a homerun. The veteran right fielder Roger Maris would pick up 2 doubles, going 2 for 4 on the day. Julian Javier added his 4th homerun of the season.

For the Cardinals left handed starter, Steve Carlton, it wouldn't be one of his best performances but was still good enough to win. Carlton raised his ERA to 1.35 following a game in which a defensive miscue and pinch hit homerun tagged him with 2 earned runs.

"I can go from one batter to the next and be unhittable, then give up a solid single," Carlton said.

Carlton's struggles this year have come from his high opponents batting average. Now hitting .219 against him, Carlton is last on the Cardinals in this catagory. While seemingly avoiding the big inning, Carlton piles up the hit totals each game.

[align=right]carltonW10.jpg[/align]

Manager Red Schoendienst is aware but not concerned.

"Lefty has a great gift. For what little shortcomings he has, he has an exceptional arm and the mental toughness to get out of almost any situation he puts himself in, " the skipper said.

"If Steve Carlton scattering hits is my biggest worry, we'll be alright."

The Cardinals wrap up the series with the Mets before a showdown with the Cincinnati Reds.

• 1 year later...

So, my controller setup is all whacked but I decided to play through it anyways:

Anemic Mets Offense Can't Bail Out Bullpen

Game 78: Boxscore

St. Louis Cardinals vs New York Mets

Nelson Briles vs Bob Shaw

Shea Stadium

The Cardinals offense finally cracked the century mark in runs scored. But not by much. For much of tonight's game, it looked like they wouldn't be able to get a hit, much less break up the string of zeros on the scoreboard.

Unable to get a baserunner, Mets starter Bob Shaw finally relented with a leadoff walk to Lou Brock. Brock promptly stole 2nd. After a questionable strike 3 call to RF Roger Maris, Cepeda followed with the 2nd walk of the inning. Centerfielder Curt Flood stepped to the plate with 2 on and 1 out and hit a ball right back up the middle.

Shaw appeared to have a play on it, only to see it go through his legs into CF. The Cardinals wouldn't get another hit off of Shaw. Cal Koonce came on in relief and gave up 3 hits, one of which was a 2 run shot to LF by Brock, his 8th.

picture772.jpg

Nelson Briles, the Cardinals starter, recorded his league leading 10th win and lowered his ERA to 0.83, only trailing teammate Bob Gibson in the NL. Briles got 14 groundouts, needing only 4 pitches in one inning and 3 in another to retire the side.

"I know some people though I was a fluke," Briles said, "but I'm still here and God willing, I'll keep doing what I'm doing."

The Cardinals leave New York and head to Cincinnati for a 3 game series.

Birdos Blast Way Past Reds

Game 79: Boxscore

Cincinnati Reds vs St. Louis Cardinals

Gary Nolan vs Dick Hughes

Busch Stadium

Having struggled all year against the Reds, the Cardinals took out their frustration with their bats. Four longballs would lead to 6 runs, dispatching of the Reds 6-0.

picture787.jpg

CF Curt Flood, who leads all CF'ers in homeruns this season hit his 11th in the 1st inning. A three run shot, the Cardinals got all three runs with 2 outs. Flood, still batting below .200 deposited a 1-1 pitch into the RF mezzanine.

Orlando Cepeda, Tim McCarver and Julian Javier would all follow with solo homeruns. Cepeda's, his 17th, leads the National League.

For the Reds, the offense was largely stiffled. Cardinal killer Tony Perez was held hitless, lowering his average to .306.

picture794.jpg

Dick Hughes joined Nelson Briles at 10 wins after pitching 7 scoreless innings. Hughes struck out 5 while yielding on 4 hits.

Ron Willis continued his perfect season with a scoreless 8th and Mike Torrez burried 3 straight sliders in the dirt against Perez for the final out of the game.

With Gibson scheduled to go tomorrow, his next start is being pushed back a day to allow a few of the regular position starters a day off. The Cardinals moved to 2-5 on the season vs the Reds, their worst record vs any team this season.

I REALLY like this dynasty, and love the in game pics. They really do resemble 60s-type magazine/newspaper type photo.

The best thing about these classic dynasties are the images ... the historic players, the uniforms, the old parks, etc.

Any chance this could be presented as a "newspaper image" like the one JoeRudi26 did for the 77 Yankees dynasty?

I wouldn't think it would be too much work, and it could have a good appearance even with using something like free Paint Shop Pro or something.

I know there were some newspaper type samples in a thread about baseball card templates.

I'm a Cardinals fan too, so 'Rokk On!'

I can just imagine some of the 'great' conversations McCarver and Joe Morgan might have during an at bat. It might be more useless information than anyone could handle. Still, having said that, you kinda gotta give some consideration what they say, based on how many experiences both guys had. Even guys like Hawk Harrelson have some insightful things to say occassional just based on the colorful period in which they played. Some real characters back in the day.

Archived