Should your favorite player come from your team?

theshadeofice

yeah, but don't you feel like, inclined, to like someone from your own team?

hey this is the 800th post in left field btw

Of course. If you have 1 favorite player, then you just aren't getting as much baseball as you should be. Albert Pujols, Bob Gibson, Curt Flood, Scott Rolen, Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright are all Cardinals taht are favorites of mine. Mike Mussina is a non-Cardinals player that I always follow his career.

My favorite player is in fact from my favorite team, but in no way do I think it has to work out that way.

I think that it's easier to pick a player from your team because you tend to pay more attention to "your guys" as opposed to someone from a different team. But that shouldn't stop you from branching out - and not just in the present day! :D

Just a portion of what is a very large list: Matt Cain, Carl Crawford, Christy Mathewson, Willie Mays, Nolan Ryan, Lenny Dykstra, Buck O'Neil

Ken Griffey Jr. is my all time favourite player, and he doesn't play for my fav. team. But I also have other favourites who are and were: Roy Halladay, Jeter, Delgado, Mantle, Olerud and more that I dont have time to list cuz I gotta go.

So no your favourite player doesn't have to come from your favourite team.

Question for theshadeofice; you said Adam Kennedy was your favourite until he signed with St.Louis. Are you saying he's not anymore because of this?

Yeah, and this should be like a Man Law or something. My favorite players have always been Yankees.

I disagree. Maybe in principle, but too many things are out of the fans hands. Look at dj for example, hes a delgado fan, but it wasnt his fault toronto let him go. Should he now dislike delgado because of toronto's actions? Should a fan wildly support everyhthing his favorite team does just because its his favorite team? No. Look at it this way, say jeter gets traded to the cubs (i dont want him, btw, and it wont happen, its just for example), would he cease to be your favorite player just because he now plays for my favorite team? If thats the case, then why did you like him in the first place. Did you like your favorite because hes good or because of who he is and what he stands for? Hopefully, because who he is, his character, and what he stands for. IMO, jeter is a great guy. I think he's a good, not great player, but this isnt the place to debate that. If i was a huge jeter fan, it wouldnt matter what team he was on. I would root for him no matter what team he was on. Look at it this way, im a huge kobe fan, yet i hate phil jackson and the lakers. Yet, i root for kobe and want him to do well... btw, see the 52 last nite? :)

My favorite is a tie between Travis Hafner, Grady Sizemore, Jhonny Peralta, and Jeremy Sowers. All of whom are from the Indians (my team). However, I am a very big fan of Rocco Baldelli, Barry Zito, Ichiro, and Jose Reyes, so I don't think that your favorite player has to come from your team, but you would hope that somebody from your team is up there with your favorite player(s).

I disagree. Maybe in principle, but too many things are out of the fans hands. Look at dj for example, hes a delgado fan, but it wasnt his fault toronto let him go. Should he now dislike delgado because of toronto's actions? Should a fan wildly support everyhthing his favorite team does just because its his favorite team? No. Look at it this way, say jeter gets traded to the cubs (i dont want him, btw, and it wont happen, its just for example), would he cease to be your favorite player just because he now plays for my favorite team? If thats the case, then why did you like him in the first place. Did you like your favorite because hes good or because of who he is and what he stands for? Hopefully, because who he is, his character, and what he stands for. IMO, jeter is a great guy. I think he's a good, not great player, but this isnt the place to debate that. If i was a huge jeter fan, it wouldnt matter what team he was on. I would root for him no matter what team he was on. Look at it this way, im a huge kobe fan, yet i hate phil jackson and the lakers. Yet, i root for kobe and want him to do well... btw, see the 52 last nite? :)

Maybe so, maybe so. I would be a Derek Jeter fan even if something like that happened because of how he is. But at the same time I can not see me liking someone from Boston.

I have liked players from other teams before, and I'll name a few. Greg Maddux for instance. Terry Pendleton and Ryne Sandberg. But mostly Yankees.

I don't think they have to come from your favorite team, but it just happens that way for a lot of people. As a kid, my favorite player was Mark Grace. And even when he went to the DBacks, he was still my favorite. Congrats on the World Series Mark, sorry it wasn't with the Cubs.

Now I would say that Carlos Zambrano is, but I also like Derek Jeter.

Question for theshadeofice; you said Adam Kennedy was your favourite until he signed with St.Louis. Are you saying he's not anymore because of this?

well its not as much that i'm not a fan of him anymore, it's just that i can't follow kennedy as much as before because it's pretty hard to get FSN Midwest here in southern california...

Archived