Comedian Damon Wayans banned from Laugh Factory

jogar84

Looks like Damon Wayans has become the first casualty of the Laugh Factory’s newly-instituted N-word free zone.

The comedian used the term 16 times during his 20-minute set Sunday night and was promptly banned from performing at the venue for the ...

"The comedian used the term 16 times during his 20-minute set"

next three months, reports the LA Times.

Wayans’ act referred to the racist rant of “Seinfeld†star Michael Richards that caused the N-word ban to be instituted.

http://jumpoff.tv/newsstory.php?id=218

Come on, its a totally different context. Kramer was a raving racist. Cut a brotha some slack.

It's a double standard -- black people can use it freely and often, while white people are barely allowed to discuss it, let alone utter the word itself.

If a word is considered SO bad, then no one should be able to use it. You can't ostracize one person for saying a word while others so blatantly and excessively use it... the whole thing's a stupid race issue.

sorta like Randal Graves

Who is that?

It's a double standard -- black people can use it freely and often, while white people are barely allowed to discuss it, let alone utter the word itself.

Yes, you are right. When I see black people use that word, they don't get mad at all. When a white person utters it, someone wants to send them to sensitivity training.

Here's an example. Say a black guy says this to another black guy in a friendly tone: "Hey (insert that word here*) what's going on? Well, the other person would answer him and not be offended in the least.

Now, same situation. Here's a white guy saying this to a black guy, no malice intended. He's saying it in the same friendly tone as the black guy: "Hey (insert that word here*) what's going on? I can promise you the reaction from the person being addressed to would not be the same as before. Either he would be upset or there would be an uncomfortable silence.

*Notice I could not even type that word in here because if I did, someone would have been offended. Even though I am just trying to set some example.

Who is that?

Yes, you are right. When I see black people use that word, they don't get mad at all. When a white person utters it, someone wants to send them to sensitivity training.

Here's an example. Say a black guy says this to another black guy in a friendly tone: "Hey (insert that word here*) what's going on? Well, the other person would answer him and not be offended in the least.

Now, same situation. Here's a white guy saying this to a black guy, no malice intended. He's saying it in the same friendly tone as the black guy: "Hey (insert that word here*) what's going on? I can promise you the reaction from the person being addressed to would not be the same as before. Either he would be upset or there would be an uncomfortable silence.

*Notice I could not even type that word in here because if I did, someone would have been offended. Even though I am just trying to set some example.

i think what you wrote proves that black people can also be racist although it is not usually spoken about and often denied but black people can be racist too. I am not trying to offend anybody since this is a very "touchy" topic.

the same goes that you can insult a white person's "whiteness", but you'd be killed if you did the opposite.

Yeah, I overlooked that. Good point. If you listen to a black comedian, he'll go on and on about whitey and insult them, but you won't find the white comedian do that. If he did, his career would be done.

And the next time you watch a black TV show, and I am talking about a show that has all black actors or 95% of them are black, look for the token white actor that comes on the show as a guest. He's going to be portrayed as stupid, or greedy or something to that effect. Just watch. And is it the other way around? Nope.

To me, people are too concerned about what other people are saying.

OH COME ON ALREADY! I'm not racist, not one bit, but there is nothing wrong with the word (stay with me here, I'll explain later).

Two black guys could walk up to eachother, and say "Whats up my N-er," and it's perfectaly fine, then those two guys get into a car and listen to rap music where it is said at least 25 more times, and its a-ok. Then they see Kramer at the Laugh Factory or on the eight million repeats shown on CNN, and he says the word and the crap hits the fan.

WAIT! HOLD IT! STOP THE WORLD, A HONKEY JUST SAID THE "N" WORD!

It seems like a big twisted case of practice what you preach. Now I'm sorry if I have affended anyone here, which I hope isn't the case. But lets turn the table. Lets say that the N word was fine, and Honkey was given the same equality as the N word. I wouldn't walk up to a friend of mine, and say "whats up cracker," then listen to some rock music and hear the words cracker and honkey. I wouldn't be throwing a fit if someone of the opposite race/color called me a honkey, because my race/color has sent the message through our music and movies that it's ok for us to say it, but it dosn't say anything about any other race/color.

Do I condone these two and many other unknows for using this word? No, I dont.

Do I think that the word has a place in our vocabulary? No, because it has no meaning besides what we make it. We can change laws, ways of life, and many other things, why cant we change the meaning of a single word?

Do I think that the appology of Michel Richards is sincere and that he should be given a second chance that not many people deserve or recieve? Yes, I do.

I can honestly say this because I'm not perfect, and I know that you aren't either. Thats what makes us human. These two didn't kill anyone, they just may not think as much as they should.

Anyone here remember the movie "White Chicks" from a few years ago? My math teacher brought up a good point around the time that movie came out. It's ok for a movie to be called white chicke, but WW III (World War 3) would start if a movie were called black chicks or anything similar.

I love how the US Constitution is twisted and contradicted. I mean, I can practice free speech, and I could say the "N-word" alot, and be arrested for a hate crime. I agree with what Thomas Jefferson said:

"My right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

But just try applying this to words. It's very hard, since we love in a world of politically correct or I sue!

I love how the US Constitution is twisted and contradicted. I mean, I can practice free speech, and I could say the "N-word" alot, and be arrested for a hate crime. I agree with what Thomas Jefferson said:

"My right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

But just try applying this to words. It's very hard, since we love in a world of politically correct or I sue!

The issue isn't that the Constitution is twisted, so much as the implication of a word like the N-word is meant in many ways as a fighting word. Words that, if used in a one-on-one exchange, would provoke a fight, are actually not Constitutionally protected. The same goes for libelous claims. Some things just cannot be said, because they have the tendency to promote a dangerous situation (i.e. they will create a clear and present danger). As such, those words should just not be used by anyone, because not even the United States Constitution technically permits their usage or protects its usage within free speech.

The issue isn't that the Constitution is twisted, so much as the implication of a word like the N-word is meant in many ways as a fighting word. Words that, if used in a one-on-one exchange, would provoke a fight, are actually not Constitutionally protected. The same goes for libelous claims. Some things just cannot be said, because they have the tendency to promote a dangerous situation (i.e. they will create a clear and present danger). As such, those words should just not be used by anyone, because not even the United States Constitution technically permits their usage or protects its usage within free speech.

The Constitution part was origionally part of a much longer comment, involving religion,but I removed it because it would have strayed too far off topic.

Nice...."Clerks II"...

That Kraw, just made my day.

As a long-time Kevin Smith fan, I was greatly disappointed after seeing Clerks II after anticipating it for months. It obviously had it's moments, such as the scene Kraw is referencing, but overall it was a stinker. And I hated it even more the first time I saw it, when it was called Jersey Girl.

DJeagles, Kraw -- your thoughts?

I can understand your comparisons to Jersey Girl, which IMO, was the worst Kevin Smith flick to date. Burt, I enjoyed Clerks II, although it was much more "commercial" then the first, if that makes sense.

There were enough scenes in CII to keep me entertained and laughing, but it did lack the intelligence that the original had.

Two black guys could walk up to eachother, and say "Whats up my N-er," and it's perfectaly fine, then those two guys get into a car and listen to rap music where it is said at least 25 more times, and its a-ok. Then they see Kramer at the Laugh Factory or on the eight million repeats shown on CNN, and he says the word and the crap hits the fan.

First of all, well said medric822.

See, that is what I do not understand. Why is it okay for Chris Rock to use the word in his act, but Michael Richards gets crucified for using it?

Archived