Wrigley Field Classic

paulw

Well, I started playing with this a bit and it's starting to come along fairly nicely. I told AlexTony in an email about it - it's so the 1954 Cubs I've modded have a place to play. It's kind of interesting trying to make what is a classic ballpark into it's "classic" version. Spent the most time trying to get decent ivy on the walls - I literally spent about 2 or 3 hours on this. The rest was a lot easier. Still have to work on the signs and a little more on the buildings. This is "just a little easier" than Ebbet's and Classic Yankee. It's really only cosmetic...

wrigley_classic.jpg

That's Cubs side-arming right hander Warren Hacker delivering a pitch to Gil Hodges. Ernie Banks and Gene Baker are at second and short and that's BIG Walker Cooper at catcher. Not visible in left and right field are former MVP's Ralph Kiner and Hank Sauer.

Paul, you are truly a credit to your race. And by "race," I mean, "the group of people in the world who share the name Paul." I rank you slightly higher than the apostle, just a little lower than Paul Winfield.

In other words -- I look forward to every paulw mod that comes out.

Pretty sure all the doors in the outfield should be colored red. I did a classic Wrigley for my 1967 season and all photos I found had it.

ceppywrig2.jpg

Thanks for the info, HCL! I'm sure your right on this. I want to take a look at my "When it was a Game' video. I'm pretty sure the scoreboard at one time was kind of red also. Not sure when though.

Eric - thanks - I don't know who Paul Winfield is. I'm guessing a musician.

Also, paul, along the foul territory 'high walls' (ala Bartman area) there should be no padding, just brick.

My PC doesn't work anymore, paul, so I can't pull up the game to take photos of the other things I did, or pull up the photos I found online.

The 'Budweiser' roof in righfield used to be white with a giant red arrow on it and the name of the restaurant or sporting goods store, I believe.

Damn my motherboard, DAMN IT!!!!

I definetly want to remove the lights. HCL, I'm really sorry your PC had problems. It would have been fun to collaborate on this one. I know I've said it before but it's always fun to work on projects like this together. Thanks for the tips. I just looked at a 1957 pic - the doors are a redish brown just like you had - the scoreboard at this time dark green. I also want to get rid of the padding in "Bartman-land".

Winfield seems like quite the talented actor. I'm not big on movies - guess that's why I didn't know who he was. Now if he had been the bass player for Collective Soul or the All American Rejects then I'd probably have known who he was.

I think I've pretty much finished on classic Wrigley. I'll probably release this tomorrow or Sunday. Just playing a few test games to make sure everything looks good graphically. My classic Cubbies were getting crushed in this screenshot :-( :

wrig_class2.jpg

btw - I'll probably release the '54 Cubs with the ballpark (pictures and all) in case anyone's interested. I've replaced the '64 Cubs with them in my TC6.

Hadn't even thought of that, Y4L. I'm not sure how much Fuzz has packed up yet. I'll ask AlexTony.

I can guarantee that Fuzz would find time to put this stadium in his TC series. Just looking at these screenshots you have in this thread shows that this classic Wrigley belongs there.

I just e-mailed Tony. I'm trying for an 11th hour petition to include Classic Wrigley and the '54 Cubs into TC7 to replace the '64 Cubs. I'd like to see another team from the fifties in TC. The '54 Cubs had 3 Hall of Famers (Kiner, Banks and Walker Cooper) and 3 MVP's (Sauer, Banks and Cooper) in their lineup. They lost 90 games due to weak pitching and the slowest outfield in the history of baseball but packed a lot of punch. In '55 the entire infield (Fondy, Baker, Banks and Randy Jackson) made the all-star team and they still finished 72-81. These were the lovable Cubbies of yore. I picked '54 to mod because this team was very *interesting*. Lots of name players and other oddities. It was Kiner's last good season and Sauer poked 41 dingers.

I hope I'm not p**sing anyone off by this. I'm just taking a last second desperation shot. I think they'd add some more variety and interest to TC.

paul, I notice the green padding is still on the outfield side walls. Were you able to find reference photos that placed them there? I was almost sure that it was just solid brick during this time period.

I've spent about an hour trying to get rid of these. It's the last thing I want to finish. I don't want to have to go into OEdit and physically locate and remove them - I just can't find the **&& graphic. I'm going back in right now. This *will* get fixed.

Hey paul, I almost forgot one more thing. The narrow "family" section of seats in fair ground in left and right field were installed in 1985. However, for whatever reason, the dimensions of the field did not change at all when the seats were added.

Depending on how EA coded it, you should theoretically be able to just sink the crowd vertices for those sections.

Also, is it possible to put in the old-time faded grass you used for Tiger Stadium and Forbes? That's one of my favorite keys to a classic park.

looks great paul.

I mean, for Wrigley Field, that is. :D

Being from just north of the "friendly confines", i.e. cheesland Wisconsin, I know where you're coming from. I really do like Wrigley in all seriousness. It's the only park I've ever modded I've actually been to on quite a few occasions. My favorite times were 1966 to 1969 when we went down there every year after the Braves moved to Atlanta to watch them play the Cubs. I remember a July '69 game when they were still in first and Ron Santo would do this sort of dance on the way to the clubhouse. Also, everytime I went there it seemed at least one or two fans were injured by foul balls.

The other thing I like about the Cubs is their radio announcers (Santo and Pat Hughes). Even though we have Uecker (I'm not the big of fan of his) I always turn it to 720 when the Brewers play the Cubs. Ron is such a trip and Hughes takes himself *sooo* seriously. Hughes worked with Uecker in 82 when the crew won the pennant.

It's all finished now and in DL's. SeanO - I didn't take out the family section crowd because I've got a picture from the 1945 World Series where there's people sitting there. They must have used it as standing room or overflow. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This was a fun project. After looking at a couple books about Wrigley in Barnes and Noble this afternoon, it's probably just as good for the 1970's and 1940's as 50's and 60's. Wrigley changed sooo little over the years.

wrigley_class_final.jpg

BTW - Win a prize (boobie?) if you can find my PaulW tag somewhere in this mod. It's out there. You're most likely to see it on a high home or high third replay. It's part of one of my favorite details that I added. Let me know if you ever see it - make an old guy feel good ;-)

Archived