Wrigley 's wall no longer free of ads

brutushayesosu

Ive got mixed feelings. When I saw this on tv I vomited in my mouth. Then I thought, its 2007, the times they are a changin. Baseball today is not the same as what it was growing up with in the 80s. Im sure theyll find more ad space at Wrigley and it soon resemble the corporate ballbarks that exist nowadays. I guess we should all brace for calling iit something other than good ole Wrigley Field.

they don't need the money, honestly

Thats my biggest gripe really, is that they really dont need it...people act like because of the losing tradition, they dont make money. I beleive the payroll is onl $121 mill this year(give or take)They are the only team thats still has full stadiums in late August when they are 9 games out.

exactly, that is because of the Wrigley Field experience. They are slowly ruining it by putting up these ads.

And no one can deny that it is truly an experience. I have been to Wrigley well over 150 times, and every time...I feel like I just walked into baseball heaven for the first time. It just never loses it's luster......but if the keep pulling this crap, it may.

Hmmm,,,,personally, I could care less if the Cubs put ads in the outfield or not. The whole thing with keeping Wrigley "pristine" is an outdated notion. Frankly, it may be a great place to see a ballgame, but if you are in bidness to make money, which I'm assuming the Cubs are, placing some undershorts ads in the park will bring in some high profit lacquer, and that is hard to pass up.

If the Cubs ownership thought that building a new park would draw more fans and generate income, then they'd probably do it. And, they would STILL lose.

The cubs have spent a crap load of money over the last several years, and have pretty much nothing to show for it. My team, the Royals, who royally have sucked, spend significantly less, and won what, 2 games less last year than did the Cubs?

And, the sorry Royals did win a series in '85.

I don't think throwing money at new players, coaches and under britches ads in the outfield is going to get the job done for the Cubbies. I think they need to start developing their farm system, and maybe cut loose some anchors (Prior, Wood), and get that deal going. As much as I don't like the Cardinals, it's no wonder that they just completely dominate the Cubs year after year, and win championships occasionally. They don't just carelessly sling money at problems.

Yea, it will change their fortunes from now on since everyone in that town is so superstitious.

:lol: No kiddin' ....... They think a goat is why they can't win. I'm thinkin', if the Cubs fans are thinkin' it's a goat's fault...THEN NO FRIKKIN WONDER they don't ever win. Again, I don't believe that an under drawers ad in the grass walls is gonna make any kind of difference.

:lol: No kiddin' ....... They think a goat is why they can't win. I'm thinkin', if the Cubs fans are thinkin' it's a goat's fault...THEN NO FRIKKIN WONDER they don't ever win. Again, I don't believe that an under drawers ad in the grass walls is gonna make any kind of difference.

it has absolutely nothing to do with winning, it's about ruining the ballpark experience

it has absolutely nothing to do with winning, it's about ruining the ballpark experience

Do you seriously believe that an underbritches ad on the garage doors in the ivy is going to "ruin" your baseball "experience"? The next thing you'll be trying to pass off on us is that a goat is keeping the Cubs from winning a world series... :mrgreen:

All I can say is look at the Green Monster in Fenway:

An evolution:

gm1.jpg

gm2.jpg

gm3.jpg

gm4.jpg

gm5.jpg

gm6.jpg

Sad isn't it?

When you spend that much money on your players, the only way to recoup a large amount of it is advertising and lots of it. It's only going to get worse. Just wait until you see the Japanese advertisements that will inevitably be plastered on the Monster for this season...

Archived