NHL News - Philladelphia trades Petr Forsberg to Nashville

cybernetic

Petr Forsberg has been traded to Nashville for F Scott Upshall and D Ryan Parent (both recent 1st round picks of Nashville), a 1st round pick and a conditional 3rd or 6th round pick. Prior to the trade, Nashville was first overall in the NHL and this will make them even more potent.

Peter Forsberg is pretty good and I think this will really help them. I wonder who they are going to put thim with on his line because he can really rack up assists.

*Throws away Red Wings jersey, Goes to Dunham's and finds out a Nashville Forsberg jersey is $160, but Philly Forsberg jersey is $5. viva el Flyers!*

They dumped Forsberg because, from what it sounds like, they weren't planning on resigning him so they wanted to get something back for him. As much as I love Forsberg for all his years in Colorado, he is a constant health risk. However, I do wish my Avs would have traded for him or can sign him after this year. In my opinion, the most talented player of his generation (This being before Sydney Crosby).

When healthy Forsberg can be a force.

I think Philadelphia got the best deal they could get. The Flyers are more or less in a rebuilding stage and will probably be so for the next year or two. They got two prospects in a forward and a defenseman and 2 high picks. While some may think it's great for Nashville for the long term, well, the Vikings traded a pile of picks to the Cowboys for Herschel Walker in the late 80s, early 90s.. And who were the picks that the Cowboys got? Aikman, Irving and Emmitt Smith and won them a few Superbowls.

I'm not saying the Flyers will have a dynasty in winning championships but they will be good again in a few years and basically develop their prospects.

Nashville, in what I've read, got more prospects than they know what to do with and could afford to trade some long term assets for a player that could put them over the top. to win now. However, regular season dominance doesn't always pan out in the post season. *cough* New York Yankees.

However, on top of Nashville's big trade, they're really rolling the dice on Forsberg hoping he'll provide play off leadership to get them to the championship. Also, Nashville, despite having an awesome team, have attendance problems and in places like Nashville, Raleigh, Miami and Tampa Bay, these aren't exactly hockey hotbeds. There was a rumour last month that an ownership group in my city may pursue the Nashville Predators to relocate sometime down the road.

Is it baseball season yet?

wtf is Philly thinking? A garbage team dumping the one player who attracts fans.

Nashville is now even more unstoppable than before now.

Retarded trade.

Fred have you been keeping up with whats been going on with Forsberg? I mean the guy is a great player when healthy but when was the last time the guy been healthy?

In the offseason Forsberg had serious ankle surgery and was expected to be out until mid December. So about 3 weeks or so before this season started it was announced that Forsberg would be ready for the season opener and I was like WOW this could be a real serious mistake and all season long they were unable to find a skate that fit his ankle correctly and Peter has'nt been the same.

I think this can been good for the Flyers since they could come out with the first overall pick in the NHL draft, and now with an additional first round pick I think they can turn things around rather quickly. Now Im not saying this year but I do see them improving next season.

Scottie Upshall never came into his pre-draft groove with the Preds but I'm sure he'll do that with the Flyers. Putting him on the same line as a guy like Carter or Richards would probably do the trick.

Newspapers here in Sweden has mostly specualted about Forsberg going to either the Red Wings or Canucks but I'm not that surprised to see the Preds come out on top.

Newspapers here in Sweden has mostly specualted about Forsberg going to either the Red Wings or Canucks but I'm not that surprised to see the Preds come out on top.

I heard he had a list because of his NTC, and he would only allow a trade to Detroit, Nashville, or Vancouver.

The Flyers did the right thing, IMO, although it'll hurt to see Foppa probably holding the Cup with the Preds rather than in Orange and Black. But at this point the Flyers had to make a business decision. This trade adds two real good prospects in Parent and Upshall to the already talented young core the Flyers currently have in the minors and in the NHL with Richards, Carter, Eager, Ruzicka etc. The future looks bright for Flyers Hockey.

Foppa is just a rental for the Preds and will likely hit the market come July. Maybe the Flyers will be able to re-sign #21, who knows? It'll be definately an interesting off-season...

Archived