Mandate of Heaven

RmembrZito75

How many games will the Tampa Bay Devil Rays win?  

12 members have voted

1. 1.

• 50-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80

untitled.jpg

Newspaper updates every 5 games or a special update on random occasions

Spring Training: A look towards Opening Day

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are back in the 2007 season, and are looking to have a strong season. The Devil Rays are hoping to win at least 75 games, which would be the most ever in their existence. There have been some good transactions for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. They have added a few prospects, and a lights-out closer. Here are the exact trades:

mvp2005_2007-03-09_17-50-39-45.jpg

mvp2005_2007-03-09_18-05-54-59.jpg

Here's Joe Maddon on the transactions this Spring Training and the status of the Devil Rays.

Joe: "We got all the guys that we need. We got Hughes, and he should make an immediate impact on our team. He's going to battle out Jamie (Shields) for the final spot in the rotation. Eric Duncan, I hope, is going to be our future 1st Baseman. The future of current 1st Baseman Ty Wigginton is uncertain. Also, we got a lights-out closer in Chad Cordero, and an excellent Shortshop in Matt (Yepez). We only had to give up Carlos (Peña) and Jao (Seo). Jao's future was also uncertain as he was in his final year of his contract, so I decided to give him up for the closer we desperately needed."

Joe Maddon also revealed the Lineup Card and the Pitching Rotation for Spring Training. Joe Maddon also said that the performance Phillip Hughes puts up will decide whether or not he goes back down to AAA or gets a shot in the rotation.

Lineup Card

mvp2005_2007-03-09_18-26-09-40.jpg

Pitching Rotation

mvp2005_2007-03-09_18-26-03-82.jpg

Wow, you raped the Yankees in that trade....and you pretty much raped the Nats too.

I wish we had more realistic dynasties here though, I don't like the ones that start off making bunches of big trades.

Yes, I did "rape" them in the deals, and sorry for doing the "big" trades, but I only traded for the guys I need. Plus, those trades will probably be the only trades I might do in a long time. It depends on how Iwamura does.

No, I dont mind, but ask before you borrow other peoples stuff here first, that kinda ticks others off if you dont.

Mailbag question: When do the Devil Rays plan on trading for Albert Pujols?

Sorry, and thanks a lot man.

"The D-Rays don't plan on trading for Albert Pujols. He is a waste of money and we already have some fine developing 1st basemen in our minor league system such as Wes Bankston and Eric Duncan"

Keep those mailbag questions coming!

cubsfan, the D-Rays are a team whose dynasty would call for a trade or two seeing as how it would make them more competitive, especially with the powers that be in the AL East. But take the Yankees for instance, they don't really need to make any moves.

Good luck with the dynasty. Here's a mailbag question:

What is expected of Japanese Third Baseman Akinori Iwamura? Is he being looked at as more of an offensive force or defensive whiz?

With the Devil Rays loosing most of their games as well as their money, will the be able to afford their league dues for the upcoming seasons?

"Well, we're going to need support from our fans and our city to help us out if we can't get enough money. If we can't get enough money, then we might have to pack our bags outta Tampa and move to another city."

cubsfan, the D-Rays are a team whose dynasty would call for a trade or two seeing as how it would make them more competitive, especially with the powers that be in the AL East. But take the Yankees for instance, they don't really need to make any moves.

Good luck with the dynasty. Here's a mailbag question:

What is expected of Japanese Third Baseman Akinori Iwamura? Is he being looked at as more of an offensive force or defensive whiz?

"We're hoping that Akinori can hit 25-30 homeruns this season, maybe with a .300 average. As for being an offensive force or a defensive whiz, we're going to try to move him towards the offensive force role. For now though, he's going to be a project player. We have to recognize his achilles heel and his strong points, so we can make him into the big bat we need in the heart of our lineup."

mailbag question:will Hughes be a regular starter this season?

"I don't think Phillip will get the full-time nod this season. We may experiment with him if Jamie (Shields) or one of the other starters are struggling. If Phillip struggles at the starting job, then we might have to send him down to AAA. Also, there are other guys in the minors that could be called up if someone goes down. For now, I don't think he's going to be the regular starter this season."

Thats because all the Yankees do is buy whatever they want..... :biglaff:

I dont mind a trade or two, because in reality, thats what happens anyway. Teams look to make deals at the FA period, or just sign what they need, if they can afford it......and I say if they can afford it, so that pretty much leaves the D-Rays out of that equation, so go make that trade, but make them believable and try not to rip off another team, if you can help it. Other than that, I will follow.

"You dont get many chances like that BIG BOIY! ! !"

I dont mind a trade or two, because in reality, thats what happens anyway. Teams look to make deals at the FA period, or just sign what they need, if they can afford it......and I say if they can afford it, so that pretty much leaves the D-Rays out of that equation, so go make that trade, but make them believable and try not to rip off another team, if you can help it. Other than that, I will follow.

Seriously, I didn't try to rip them off. I just got two prospects...Phillip Hughes, a guy that's MLB ready, and Eric Duncan (The Yankees have a multitude at 1st base). I gave them a top prospect in Hammel and I gave them another solid pitcher that they need to fight for the starting spot in Waechter. It really wasn't my fault for that that the Yankees did it, I didn't even know that they were going to do it. So sorry.

Looks like somebody turned off fair trades

No, I didn't turn off fair trades. I actually thought they were quite fair because the hughes one, they really didn't need duncan, so they basically got 2 pitchers for one. The Nationals trade, that too was fair. I realize I got Chad Cordero, but they have solid relievers such as Luis Ayala to close it out. The Nats also gave up one of their mediocre A Shortshops. I had to give the Jae (Seo). Jae is a guy that will fight for the spot in Washington, and also Carlos Peña, who will also fight Nick Johnson for the role at 1B.

Overall, I think they were fair, and no I didn't turn the fair trades off, once again.

Daisuke Matsuzaka ring any bells? I love how everyone just sneaks in their comments about the Yankees like it's their job...

When you make a trade, you're supposed to make a one-sided trade. Then again, you're a Reds fan and after the 8-man swap your team made last year, you should be angry...

Daisuke Matsuzaka ring any bells? I love how everyone just sneaks in their comments about the Yankees like it's their job...

When you make a trade, you're supposed to make a one-sided trade. Then again, you're a Reds fan and after the 8-man swap your team made last year, you should be angry...

Can we please stop the debates now? I'm gonna post an update about opening day rosters.

"Hughes will be the Starter"

4/1/07: by James Russo of the Tampa Bay Tribune

si_logo_blue_gradient.jpg

From several sources from SI.com, it has been revealed that Joe Maddon has revealed his Pitching Rotation and his Lineup Card for Opening Day. In a press conference this afternoon, I asked him about the Pitching Rotation for the Opening Day and the status of top prospect Phillip Hughes in the rotation.

Maddon: "Well, from the performance that Phillip put up for us in Spring Training was phenomenal. He looks like he's ready. To make move forPhillip, we had to take out long time starter, Casey Fossum. Casey is taking the move well, and he said if there's a problem that he'll come to me first."

I also asked him about the batting order, who's on it, and how well Outfielder Delmon Young did in Spring Training.

Maddon: "The Lineup Card is going to feature guys with speed, and a lot of power. We got Upton at the leadoff role, then we work our way to the heart with Gomes, and Young. Delmon Young this Spring Training was unbelievable. It's hard to believe this guy's only 21. He led the Grapefruit League in hits and had a .325+ average. He's going to be our 4th-5th slot hitter. We may have to put him up or down, depending on how well he does. For now, this is the Pitching Rotation and the Lineup Card."

Lineup Card

opening_day_batting_order.bmp

Pitching Rotation

opening_day_pitching_rotation.bmp

Analysis and Projected Stats

h_story_02.gif

Batting Order

SS B.J. Upton-.302 AVG., 15 HR, 65 RBI, 32 SB

2B Jorge Cantu-.275 AVG., 25 HR, 98 RBI, 3 SB

CF Rocco Baldelli-.315 AVG., 26 HR, 103 RBI, 38 SB

DH Jonny Gomes-.272 AVG., 34 HR, 112 RBI, 2 SB

RF Delmon Young-.307 AVG., 23 HR, 93 RBI, 28 SB

LF Carl Crawford-.309 AVG., 18 HR, 78 RBI, 55 SB

1B Ty Wigginton-.282 AVG., 26 HR, 99 RBI, 1 SB

3B Akinori Iwamura-.301 AVG., 18 HR, 72 RBI, 5 SB

C Dioner Navarro-.309 AVG., 12 HR, 75 RBI, 4 SB

Pitching Rotation

SP Scott Kazmir-18-7, 2.35 ERA, 185 K's

SP J.P. Howell-14-9, 3.98 ERA, 158 K's

SP Phillip Hughes-16-10, 4.65 ERA, 195 K's

SP Seth McClung-9-12, 5.01 ERA, 123 K's

SP Jamie Shields-12-8, 4.56 ERA, 168 K's

CL Chad Cordero-1-2, 2.01 ERA, 54 K's, 35 Saves

Mailbag: What is the reasoning behind putting Crawford 6th in the order? Doesn't he deserve a spot in the top 3?

"Well, this spring training Carl Crawford didn't do so well, and he wasn't progressing as well as the other 5 guys ahead of him, therefore, we had to put him in the 6th slot. We may move him around if one of the 5 guys ahead of him is struggling."

Keep mailbag coming!

Archived