Alltime Pitcher VS Hitter matchup

medric822

I was thinking to myself how cool it would be if we were able to see how hitters from past or present would fare against pitchers likewise. And then I started thinking, what would the best matchup be? So, I figured I'd ask the community what their take on this was. Please list what batter from what team matched against what pitcher from what team, and your predictions on the outcome of that one matchup. Here's mine:

Batter- Mickey Mantle (Yankees)

V.S.

Pitcher-Babe Ruth (Boston-when Ruth was a pitcher, he was as good as Cy Young, if not better)

Prediction on outcome- I love both of these players, but I'd have to say that Mantle would get at best a single.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy Koufax vs. Babe Ruth-when Koufax was on-which was most of the time from '62-'66-he was unhittable-just ask the '63 Yankees.

Wow, that's exactly what I thought when I looked at this thread. That would be quite a match-up.

Pitcher-Babe Ruth (Boston-when Ruth was a pitcher, he was as good as Cy Young, if not better)

gwuh?

Ruth career ERA+: 122

Cy Young career ERA+: 138

Ruth was good, and 1916 was a banner year, but he was never a consistent elite pitcher.

Pedro Martinez was the best pitcher of all time at his peak, and Ruth was the best hitter. That's my pick.

Pedro vs. Babe.

I just want to see this because of Pedro's comments a few years back when he said "Wake up the damn Bambino, I'll drill him in the ***."

Winner - No one I guess....Pedro could drill him, but Ruth was a big guy and had enough padding back there that'd it just bounce off...maybe tickle a little. So Ruth reaches base but Pedro got to hit him, I'd say its a tie.

mariano rivera vs ted williams

Must admit, this sounds like a real good matchup. Maybe the best I've seen on this thred. Baseball's best cutter/closer VS Teddy Ballgame, the man who had 7/20 vision (it's in a biography about him I read). Would he even be able to see mo's cutter? Did pitchers enem throw that fast back then? It's a question that probably will never be answered, not with sold prof.

That is a pretty good one. They always talk about the cutter breaking in on the lefties unexpetedly, so it would be interesting to see Teddy handle it.

One question: In these match-ups, do you take into account a scouting report or just pure skills? If you threw Ted against Mariano blind, it would turn out different than if you were allowing the two to scout out each other first.

Archived