All Up In Arlington: A 2008 Texas Rangers Dynasty

jonthefon

Since I'm always up for a dynasty, this one shall be it. Although I've been an Astros fan and haven't cared about the Rangers since they wrecked their future (in my opinion) with the A-Rod signing, I'm tempted to do one since they've got a farm system coming upwards and a solid lineup to boot. As said in the description, I will play and sim spring training games on exhibition mode, according to their 08 schedule.

TexasRangers_NewLogo.jpg

Difficulty: All-Star

Fielding: Assisted

Roster: KGBaseball's 4.4 (Off-season trades)

Sliders: Custom

Datafile: KSM v5

Injuries, Suspensions: On

Trade Deadline: On

Team Chemistry: On

Energy Levels: On

2007 promised to be a big year for the Texas Rangers organization, with new management and bringing excitement levels high in Arlington. After years of being outmuscled in a division which was ruled by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and occasionally complemented by the power pitching in Oakland and the offense led by one Ichiro Suzuki in Seattle, Texas looked to finally compete with a solid line-up, led by Silver Slugger Mark Teixeira and the always-reliable Michael Young.

However, the DL list quickly began to stack up as injury after injury derailed the Rangers hopes of competing for another year. Teixeira and until-then rock-solid reliever Eric Gagne were dealt in blockbuster trades to Atlanta and Boston respectively for prospects, and rebuilding set in once more at Arlington Stadium. A good second-half stretch and a convincing 07 draft which gave them prized prospect Blake Beavan gave positive signs for Texas in 08.

After the World Series concluded, the Rangers headed to the Winter Meetings in positive stead. Several holes were filled with the acquisitions of Ben Broussard, Milton Bradley and Japanese import Kazuo Fukumori. Despite the flurry of trades around them, the Rangers made a less eye-raising move by picking up Josh Hamilton, number 1 pick years back who had a breakout season in 07, from the Cincinnati Reds for namely a top pitching prospect in Edison Volquez. Jason Jennings was signed with a incentive-loaded $4 million deal to help round out the rotation, and the Texas Rangers were ready for spring.

Pitching:

mvp20052008-04-0719-54-23-28.jpg

Depth Chart:

mvp20052008-04-0719-54-23-28.jpg

Projected Opening-Day Line-Up:

2B, Ian Kinsler

SS, Michael Young

3B, Hank Blalock

CF, Josh Hamilton

DH, Milton Bradley

1B, Ben Broussard

LF, Marlon Byrd

RF, David Murphy

C, Gerald Laird

(P, Kevin Millwood)

Game 1, Spring Training

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Kansas City RoyalsKC.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Spring Opener for both teams. I decided to start with a basic side but with batting order experiments, resting both Laird and Michael Young and playing Jason Botts who might be tried as a first baseman at DH and Joaquin Arias at shortstop. Robinson Tejada gets the start: he'll be looking for perhaps steal the spot from Kason Gabbard as the number five, or slot in as a long reliever. Catalanotto is batting lead-off, Kinsler slotting in at nine for just today, and experimenting Broussard at three. Of course, in the regular season, Young will hit three. Blalock cleaning up.

I forgot to fiddle with Kansas City so they play with prospects of their own, but Brian Bannister starts for them.

Oh yes, please ignore the incorrect date, incorrect records, batting averages and ERA numbers on the side-those are carry-ons from the 06 season (after all, I'm using the MVP 07 mod).

Lineups:

Texas:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Milton Bradley, RF

Ben Broussard, 1B

Hank Blalock, 3B

Jarrod Saltamacchia, C

Josh Hamilton, CF

Joaquin Arias, SS

Jason Botts, DH

Ian Kinsler, 2B

(Robinson Tejada, P)

Kansas City:

David DeJesus, CF

Mark Grudzielanek, 2B

Mark Teahen, RF

Billy Butler, DH

Jose Guillen, LF

Ross Gload, 1B

Alex Gordon, 3B

John Buck, C

Tony Pena Jnr., SS

(Brian Bannister, P)

GAME RECAP:

Nasty start. Second pitch I give to DeJesus, he slams it over the wall...

mvp20052008-01-1611-59-51-50.jpg

Bradley and Catalanotto get to second and third, but I strand both of them in the bottom of the first. But it doesn't matter too much, next inning Arias and Hamilton get on, on comes Botts.

mvp20052008-01-1612-05-51-81.jpg

Three-run dinger pulls me ahead 3-1. After Catalanotto hits into two, Bradley foul pops his first pitch, and Teahen misses it with a dive, sliding into the wall. He makes him pay by belting another homerun 430ft to center. Nobody will catch up with that.

mvp20052008-01-1612-08-05-39.jpgmvp20052008-01-1612-08-55-42.jpg

The next inning is nasty. Pena gets on with a single, then DeJesus hammers his second home run of the game to drag the lead back to 4-3. Grudzielanek hits the first pitch he sees, a 95mph inside fastball to tie the game up. I should've pulled Tejada right there and then, but foolishly, I let him stay and he gives up a two-run ding to Billy Butler and another one to Jose Guillen, making it seven home runs after just two innings. I do retire the next three batters, including a catch by Saltamacchia right in front of the manager sitting in the dugout, but score's now 7-4.

mvp20052008-01-1612-11-04-71.jpgmvp20052008-01-1612-11-40-68.jpg

mvp20052008-01-1612-12-36-81.jpgmvp20052008-01-1612-15-42-32.jpg

I can't get anywhere in a comeback. Bannister by now, is settling down and I'm giving him stupid, stupid six-pitch totals as he sends my guys down in order. Rheinecker, brought on holds the Royals batters for the rest of the game with two-hit, shutout ball. I do get somewhere in the bottom of the 7th, when Botts, Catalanotto and Bradley single to load the bases with two out, but then Broussard grounds out to end the inning. Should've pinch-hit him, or Arias for Young (I do so afterward, to let him play the last two innings.)

But then, in the ninth, things happen. After Rheinecker strikes out all three batters, Botts is hit by a pitch and Kinsler singles him to third. Up comes Catalanotto. Out comes closer Soria. On a 1-2 count, Catalonotto gets an inside slider, he swings and...

mvp20052008-01-1613-17-31-76.jpg

FOUL BALL! The ball ends up on the stairs of a building, just over the fence but just to the right of the foul pole. Catalonotto strikes out next pitch and Bradley GIDP's to end the game.

Boxscore

Grading and Player of the Game:

Pitching: C+-Terrible pitching by me, served up a diet of hittable pitches with Tejada. Rheinecker's solid outing keeps this thing from going lower.

Hitting: B+-Had 12 hits, but couldn't drive enough in. Stupid Ben Broussard.

Player of the Game: David DeJesus-2/5, 2HR, 2R, 3RBI.

Rangers Game Hero: Jason Botts-2/3, 1HR, 1R, 3RBI, 1HBP

Spring Training, Game 2

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Los Angeles Angels of AnaheimLAA.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

This time, playing a near full-strength side. Since I forgot that Bradley was injured when I played the last game, I won't use him for the rest of spring training. Kason Gabbard getting the start to warm him up.

I have the Halos play their prospects...Morales, Aybar and Wood. Ervin Santana starting.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Michael Young, SS

Josh Hamilton, CF

Hank Blalock, 3B

Marlon Byrd, RF

Ben Broussard, 1B

Gerald Laird, C

David Murphy, DH

Reggie Willits, LF

Brandon Wood, 3B

Vlad Guerrero, RF

Garrett Anderson, DH

Torii Hunter, CF

Kendry Morales, 1B

Howie Kendrick, 2B

Mike Napoli, C

Erick Aybar, SS

GAME RECAP:

Santana and Gabbard both pitch well to shut out both sides until the bottom of the fourth. Blalock did have a chance to score runs with the bases loaded, two outs in the third but flew out. Reggie Willits cracks a bad hanging fastball just over the right-field fence for a 1-0 lead.

mvp20052008-01-2110-39-05-16.jpg

Catalanotto in the next inning gets a low inside fastball and swings it in the same direction as Willits' to tie the game up.

mvp20052008-01-2110-41-25-82.jpg

I was only intending to pitch Gabbard for five innings no matter how he went, so off he goes and in trots Japanese import Kaz Fukumori.

mvp20052008-01-2110-45-07-81.jpg

He holds them okay for one inning, and then puts two men on base as Howie Kendrick steps up. I should've subbed him off, but keeping to realism, decided to see whether he could keep his composure. He tosses a splitter to Kendrick on a 2-2 count...

mvp20052008-01-2110-50-40-06.jpg

It lands on one of the silos on the left side of the ground. 4-1 Angels.

I put two men on base for super swinger Young, but he strikes out on a contentious slider out of the marked strike zone. The manager is angry, goes and shoves the umpire and gets tossed.

mvp20052008-01-2110-28-23-60.jpg

Willits adds another solo homer just for insurance (off another bad habit pitch of mine: an inside two-seam fastball), I do put two men on base but Catalanotto grounds out to K-Rod to end the threat.

mvp20052008-01-2110-57-24-20.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: B-Gabbard was good and Fukumori got a bit unlucky in the end.

Hitting: B--Got enough hits but just couldn't drive them in. Missed Botts badly, but Broussard was a little better and was defensively impressive. Thought he could have pummelled a high fastball by K-Rod in the ninth for a three-run shot, but he missed and struck out.

Player of the Game: Howie Kendrick-2/3, R, HR, 3RBI

Rangers Game Hero: Frank Catalanotto-3/5, R, HR, RBI

Game 3-5, managed

Game 3

Angels 5, Rangers 3

Boxscore

Game 4

Royals 9, Rangers 8

Boxscore

Game 5

Redhawks (AAA team) 8, Rangers 5

Boxscore

GAME RECAPS

Terrible stuff here, even with myself managing. Offense looked flat again in the second Halos' game, Padilla gave up five runs which was started by a solo homer by Chone Figgins. Rallied in the eighth but K-Rod came in to close it out again. Wasted seven walks, Broussard now a wonderful 1 for 12 so far in spring.

Second game, the offence got going playing against a second-string Royals side. Broussard dropped, Catalanotto playing first and Michael Young at DH. Esteban German killed me, whether I chose to pitch batter or pitch around him. He went 4 for 5, scoring every time he got on base. After taking the lead in the top of the 7th on a Young solo home run, I give up four in the next inning as Kaz Fukumori struggles again, giving up three runs in a third of an inning after retiring the side in order with his first inning. I rally yet again to tie the game up in the eighth, and with Guardado tired, I bring in Joaquin Benoit. He gets in trouble in the tenth but gets out of it, but German singles and then is scored by Ross Gload for the 9-8 win. Josh Hamilton goes 0 for 5, making it three straight hitless games, Kinsler and Blalock go 1 for 6 each, continuing their dry runs. Ramon Vazquez a pleasant surprise with David Murphy at the bottom of the order.

The third game was the worst of them all. Deciding that I had enough of Kansas City, I decide to organize a game against the Triple-A affiliate Oklahoma Redhawks before playing the Giants. After Nate Gold ker-pows a two-run homer off Rheinecker in the first, Blalock looks to have his hitting slump behind him when he blasts a three-run shot at the bottom of the inning off Eric Hurley. But both teams are held scoreless for the next five innings, until the Redhawks rally at the top of the seventh, scoring four straight runs before a solo homer by Gold, his second for the game, tops it off. Wes Littleton pitches two safe innings for the save.

Rangers article coming up.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE RANGERS?

Winless after five spring training games...what's going on?

7:32pm CST on Sunday, March 2, 2008

Although Spring Training generally isn't a time to predict the results of a year ahead, there have been warning signs for the Texas Rangers.

An 0-5 start to spring which has included two losses each to Kansas City and division rival Anaheim and a loss to Triple-A affiliate Oklahoma after their third Royals game was cancelled, has fans worried about another year in the small AL West cellar. Manager Ron Washington and GM Jon Daniels aren't taking any prisoners though.

"I'm letting the guys settle themselves slowly into the ballgames, rotating the players and making sure they're all fresh for the start of the season. Obviously, we've been a little unlucky in a couple of the games but I think we're playing all right." Washington told reporters after the 8-5 loss to the Redhawks.

Fans have reason to be worried though. Although regulars like Michael Young, Frank Catalanotto and Ian Kinsler have been solid and fringe players David Murphy, Ramon Vazquez and Jason Botts have surprised, there's all sort of worry. New acquisitions Josh Hamilton and Ben Broussard have hit putrid averages. Hank Blalock, Gerald Laird and Marlon Byrd have also been shaky. Kaz Fukumori has struggled in two relief appearances, pitching four innings and giving up seven runs.

"We just need to find a groove right here. We've struggled offensively and just haven't got the roll of the ball." Marlon Byrd said.

Perhaps Milton Bradley is a reason. The free-agent outfielder which the Rangers signed from San Diego was keyed to be an upgrade defensively and another quick outfielder with a mix of contact and power. However, he is not available until somewhere near Opening Day.

The Texas Rangers will have to find some other way to win. They play San Francisco tomorrow at AT&T Park before a matchup against the D'backs.

Spring Training, Game Six

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

San Francisco GiantsSF.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

When I actually play the games, I can use whatever roster I want, unlike manager mode where the default is used. So I bring in Botts, Nate Gold and Joaquin Arias while resting Hamilton and Young. Laird is platooning with Saltamacchia. Jennings gets the start, his first for his hometown team.

Bengie Molina and Aaron Rowand both sit this one out, although they do come in to pinch-hit later on. Noah Lowry starting for the Giants.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, RF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Jason Botts, LF

Marlon Byrd, CF

Hank Blalock, 3B

Gerald Laird, C

Nate Gold, 1B

Joaquin Arias, SS

Jason Jennings, P

Dave Roberts, LF

Kevin Frandsen, 3B

Ray Durham, 2B

Randy Winn, RF

Omar Vizquel, SS

Dan Ortmeier, 1B

Rajai Davis, CF

Elizer Alfonzo, C

Noah Lowry, P

GAME RECAP:

Early score for me as Botts singles on a 1-2 count and then Byrd hits one to the fence for a triple.

mvp20052008-01-2214-22-23-70.jpg

Meanwhile, Jennings is pitching pretty well. He's getting the sinker working , mixing up the stuff and the batters swing through it for three innings. Lowry settles down and holds my guys, although I constantly put a men or two on base each inning. Most of the time though, the San Francisco defence is just unbelievable. Roberts makes a couple of crazy running catches in the gap. Vizquel is typical Golden Glove. Winn is catching a bunch of long flyballs. Frandsen makes a crazy dive to stop a ball before backhanding it to the pitcher recovery.

mvp20052008-01-2214-40-28-42.jpg

In the end, an outside source messes me up. I failed to run the overlay updater which places pitch meter so they don't get in the way of the overlay on my newly-installed MLB 08. Most of the time, it's fine but when the lefty comes up with a man on base, the runner indicator blocked the pitch meter. I give up two runs this way, one on a triple to Randy Winn and another single to Durham with super-speed Roberts on base. Jennings goes out after six with six strikeouts.

I waste a few at-bats, and with Catalanotto on and Hennessy pitching, I break Hennessy's arm with a line drive by Kinsler.

mvp20052008-01-2214-37-23-78.jpg

But in the top of the ninth, with Brian Wilson in to make the save, I single to lead off with Laird. Gold hits a solid line drive straight to Frandsen and Young pops out to third. I pinch-hit Benoit for Saltamacchia, who singles to get Laird to third who I pinch-run with Hamilton, a 69 for 79 speed swap. It pays off as Catalanotto hits a grounder to the right of Vizquel...

mvp20052008-01-2214-46-10-00.jpg

Safe! Vizquel catches the ball but can't stay on his feet as Catalanotto gets to first on the infield single, and Hamilton charges home with the tying run. Kinsleer hits into a fielder's choice, Guardado sends the Giants down in order, and extra innings it is.

My bullpen pitches shutout ball but the Giants hold. In the top of the 12th, Catalanotto gets to second with another leadoff hit. Kinsler tries to bunt him to second, but it's too close to the pitcher, who fires it off to Durham...

mvp20052008-01-2214-54-31-76.jpg

Oh dear. He mishandles the ball and Catalanotto is safe. Botts works another long count before singling to load the bases. Byrd hits a fly to left and Catalanotto heads for home.

mvp20052008-01-2214-55-29-86.jpg

In comes the tying run! CJ Wilson in to make the save after the other batters can't score any further insurance. Francisco gives up a single to Durham, but Wilson draws a double play from Winn and then K's Vizquel for the Rangers' first win.

mvp20052008-01-2214-58-05-18.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: A-Jennings was impressive and a bit unlucky while the bullpen held together for shutout ball.

Hitting: B--Another struggle to drive in runs.

Player of the Game: Frank Catalanotto-4/6, R, RBI. Come on, it was obvious: driving in the tying run, scoring the winning run. Although Byrd did drive in the winner and add a double and triple.

Spring Training, Game Seven

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Arizona DiamondbacksARI.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Botts starting today at 1B with Broussard as the DH. Vazquez, Cruz and Meyer from Triple-A all start today with Kinsler, Byrd and Young all resting again. Brandon McCarthy starting on the mound.

For the D'backs, Orlando Hudson sitting in favor of Chris Burke, Byrnes out for Salazar and Augie Ojeda at shortstop instead of Stephen Drew. Micah Owings, Silver Slugger pitcher starting for Arizona.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Ramon Vazquez, SS

Jason Botts, 1B

Josh Hamilton, CF

Hank Blalock, 3B

Ben Broussard, DH

Jarrod Saltamacchia, C

Nelson Cruz, RF

Drew Meyer, 2B

Chris Young, CF

Chris Burke, 2B

Jeff Salazar, LF

Chad Tracy, 3B

Conor Jackson, 1B

Mark Reynolds, DH

Justin Upton, RF

Augie Ojeda, SS

Miguel Montero, C

GAME RECAP:

Bottom of the second with Hamilton on first, Broussard trots out onto Arlington Ballpark and is met with a chorus of George Foster Mets-like boos. Not really, but if he starts like so in the regular season, it'd happen. But instead of sinking to another groundout, he works a full count on a series of sinkers and sliders. The payoff pitch is a high slider...

mvp20052008-01-2321-23-12-14.jpg

Demolishes it 409ft into the bullpen. 2-0 Rangers. Up comes Saltamacchia. Second pitch, he gets another high fastball which he pummels a bit more to center and a bit further, 412 feet.

mvp20052008-01-2321-24-08-42.jpg

Up comes Nelson Cruz, rather soft-hitting for major league standards. But when you get yet another gift high fastball, anyone can pummel that, and Cruz hits the furthest of all of them, 427ft to center. 4-0 to Texas.

Chad Tracy blasts a solo homer off McCarthy, but Cruz drives in Broussard to make the score 5-1 after four.

mvp20052008-01-2321-39-57-39.jpg

For the rest of the game, there isn't much action, except for Broussard doubling to score Blalock and then being stranded by a great catch by Upton in right field. Kaz Fukumori and Eddie Guardado work scoreless outings to preserve the win.

mvp20052008-01-2321-51-01-53.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: A+ One run, seven hits. Botts played very good D and Broussard...well.

Hitting: B+ Six runs in nine hits. Offence slowed down, but did take advantage of three poor pitches.

Player of the Game: Ben Broussard-2/3, 2R, 2B, HR, 3RBI, BB

Spring Training, Game Eight

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Milwaukee BrewersMIL.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Fielded another weaker side. Murphy leading off while Catalanotto takes a break. Edgardo Alfonzo is starting in place of Hank Blalock while the others are pretty commonplace to what I've fielded in spring so far. Elizardo Ramirez from Triple-A to start.

For the Crew, Ryan Braun, Bill Hall and Weeks are all sitting. Claudio Vargas to start.

Lineups:

David Murphy, LF

Joaquin Arias, SS

Josh Hamilton, CF

Gerald Laird, C

Marlon Byrd, RF

Jason Botts, 1B

Ben Broussard, DH

Edgardo Alfonzo, 3B

Drew Meyer, 2B

Corey Hart, RF

JJ Hardy, SS

Prince Fielder, 1B

Gabe Gross, LF

Eric Munson, DH

Tony Gwynn Jnr., CF

Herman Iribarren, 2B

Joe Dillon, 3B

Mike Rivera, C

GAME RECAP:

No score after two, so we take you to the top of the third. Rivera and Hart both hit lead-off singles to put men on one and two. After Hardy flies out, Prince Fielder strolls to the plate and loads the bases when Meyer fumbles the ball and fails to make a play. Gross drives one in with a line drive to left, where Murphy keeps Hart at third. It pays off as Botts turns a great double play next at-bat, taking a reflex catch to his right and tagging Fielder out, ending the threat. 1-0 Brewers.

mvp20052008-01-2417-17-26-00.jpg

Vargas though, is painting the corners to perfection. He's working quick 0-2 counts with strike after strike on the edge of the plate, and then delivering an out pitch which forces a series of groundouts and flyballs. The following chart of Broussard's first at-bat was typical of Vargas' performance.

mvp20052008-01-2417-30-26-26.jpg

It looks like he would get rid of Broussard again in the bottom of the seventh, cooking up another 0-2 count but Broussard has had enough. He lashes at a fastball and gets it over the low right-field fence...

mvp20052008-01-2417-31-24-39.jpg

...and celebrates with a double-fisted pump.

mvp20052008-01-2417-31-32-18.jpg

The Brewers threaten again almost immediately. Benoit walks Fielder intentionally after working up a hitter's count and then Gross singles. Gwynn comes up and drives a ball to Murphy at left. As he bobbles it, Fielder rounds third and charges home...

mvp20052008-01-2417-33-29-82.jpg

Nuh-uh. Easy tag for Laird on a good throw by Murphy and the inning ends. Meyer leads off and hits a solid grounder to third where Joe Dillon is lurking. But his throw is wild and Fielder misses it, allowing Meyer to advance an extra base. Ryan Braun probably wouldn't have done any better. Murphy is walked on four straight pitches, and then Arias lays down a perfect sac bunt off reliever Turnbow to move them to second and third. In comes Hamilton, 3 for 3 and the only hitter who has had an idea of hitting Vargas. No trouble against Turnbow either, as he hits a roller which hits third base, but since Dillon is standing closer and not on the corner, there's nobody there and both Murphy and Meyer score for 3-1.

mvp20052008-01-2417-36-11-76.jpg

The game ain't over yet. I let Guardado close it out, but after one out, he gives up a homer to pinch-hitting Bill Hall.

mvp20052008-01-2417-39-18-10.jpg

Mike Rivera up. I sub CJ Wilson in. He gets good contact, but Arias makes a great dive and throw to stop Rivera at first, and there's one more out to go.

mvp20052008-01-2417-39-44-67.jpg

Hart singles again, but then on a full count, CJ Wilson strikes him out with an inside slider to end the game.

Pitching: A--Extended pitch counts a bit too far. Still got 7K's though and Botts was great defensively again at first.

Hitting: B--Vargas was absolutely unhittable over six or so innings, but stepped it up at the end as he tired and on reliever Turnbow.

Player of the Game: Josh Hamilton-4/4, 2RBI, Broussard could have got it for a momentum-turning homer, but Hamilton did hit 1.000 for the game and drove in two go-ahead runs.

Spring Training, Game Nine

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Chicago White SoxCWS.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Catalanotto and Blalock resting, meaining Arias comes in to play shortstop and Young at third. Robinson Tejada looking to improve on his terrible start against the Royals.

For the White Sox, they play a similar lineup except with Cabrera sitting in favour of Uribe, Toby Hall instead of "needs designated hitter" Pierzynski, Fields at third and Crede at designated hitter. Of course, you don't really need Thome in a spring game. Former Rangers prospect John Danks on the mound for the Sox.

Lineups:

David Murphy, LF

Marlon Byrd, RF

Michael Young, 3B

Josh Hamilton, CF

Jason Botts, 1B

Gerald Laird, C

Ben Broussard, DH

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Joaquin Arias, SS

Jerry Owens, CF

Nick Swisher, LF

Paul Konerko, 1B

Jermaine Dye, RF

Joe Crede, DH

Josh Fields, 3B

Toby Hall, C

Juan Uribe, SS

Danny Richar, 2B

GAME RECAP:

This turns out to be a seriously ridiculous game.

Murphy, Byrd and Young all lead off with singles and the first two both score to make it an early 2-0 lead.

Kinsler takes offence to Owens sliding into him hard, and temporarily thinks about chucking the ball at the back of Owens' head in cheap shot fashion.

mvp20052008-01-2515-16-52-71.jpg

Unfortunately, the camera catches him doing so and he will face disciplinary action. Dye thumps a two-out, 0-2 fastball way to left, but Murphy takes a gem on the left-field wall. He takes another one later on.

mvp20052008-01-2515-25-52-81.jpg

Marlon Byrd leads the third off with a 2-2 homer, after yet another curveball. It had been barely two innings and I already received three or four mistake pitches, even on All-Star. Dye can only watch it go over the low fence. Probably thinking "Why did I have to hit it to the wrong side?"

mvp20052008-01-2515-21-10-23.jpg

Danks follows up with two four-pitch walks to Hamilton and Botts (WTF?). Laird drives one in before Broussard and Kinsler are retired to end the inning.

No action for the next few innings although Texas does put a men or two on base in each, as Danks continues to issue ridiculous walks. Four pitches, five pitches the max. He eventually leaves in the seventh with a pitch count of 103 and the dugout dying of boredom.

Bottom of the fifth, Josh Fields rolls into third after Hamilton makes a blunder fielding a drive to center. Uribe sacrifices him in, 4-1 Rangers. Richar should've popped out to end the inning, but Laird completely messes up the catch, but for some reason, they don't rule it another error. Richard gets to second, but Owens grounds out to Arias to end the inning.

mvp20052008-01-2515-34-09-71.jpg

Broussard gets a high 1-1 changeup and blasts it to right as the White Sox bullpen is in action.

mvp20052008-01-2515-35-51-10.jpg

Bottom of the seventh is total and utter carnage. I don't know how I scored nine runs in this inning (six is the most I've score on this difficulty level, and it was a grand slam and a two-run shot that did it). Byrd singles to lead off, Young doubles him home. After Botts moves them to second and third, Laird is walked again. In comes Broussard. He works a count, but strikes out on a high fastball which had grand slam written all over it if he hadn't missed it by a mile. Kinsler singles one in, but when Arias hits a grounder towards Richar, it looks like Chicago is out of trouble...

mvp20052008-01-2515-42-00-79.jpg

Oh dear. It goes straight between his legs and the floodgates open. Six straight hits follow, but they're all on minimal pitch counts as everything I seem to swing at lands out of the reach of the fielders. Utterly stupid. Finally, the bases are loaded again, as Laird singles past Konerko.

mvp20052008-01-2515-45-07-90.jpg

Naturally, Broussard hits a drag bunt to finally end the inning. Nothing more eventful, except for another error (the first recorded one) by Fields in the eighth to put two men on base again.

mvp20052008-01-2515-48-02-01.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: A--Tejada and Guardado both pitch well for two runs and eight hits. Got lucky on a few though, as Tejada does give several fly balls that look like homers at first.

Batting: A+-Who are you kidding? 14 runs, 21 hits. Sure, I got those last seven runs through a bit of luck, but great offensive performance.

Player of the Game: Marlon Byrd-4/6, 4R, 2B, HR, 2RBI-Richar is the fellow MVP?

Games 10-12, managed

Game 10

Rangers 2, Brewers 1

Boxscore

Game 11

Padres 3, Rangers 2

Boxscore

Game 12

Angels 5, Rangers 1

Boxscore

GAME RECAPS:

A pitchers duel over seven against the Crew. Bush baffles the Rangers hitter with 9K's over 7 innings, but gives up a lead-off double to Vazquez. I absent-mindedly forget to pinch-hit Francisco the reliever, and click the swing away button. He doubles to score Vazquez, and then runs home as Catalanotto follows him with the third consecutive double. In the bottom of the ninth, Wilson gives up a triple and sacrifice fly to make the score 2-1, but Guardado closes it out. Five straight wins.

Against the Padres, with both filling top-notch lineups and Kevin Millwood starting, it's a nasty outing. San Diego gets hits constantly over the nine innings, including RBIs for Greene, Edmonds and Iguchi. Meanwhile, Randy Wolf is dominating my hitters, pitching a complete game five-hitter with no walks. Catalanotto and Laird both dumps solo homers, but it isn't enough even against Wolf's shoulder.

Up against the Angels, they make me feel terribly hopeless. Apart from Catalanotto, who goes 1 for 2 with an astonishing three walks and a stolen base and Kinsler who goes 3 for 4, looking to break out of a long slump, the rest of a lineup goes 1 for 26, a 2008 spring record for futility. Meanwhile, the Halos score constantly to win 5-1, and K-Rod doesn't even need to come in.

Spring Training, Game 13

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

San Diego PadresSD.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Lazy game again, with Nate Gold and Kevin Mahar getting oppurtunities to play. Apart from that, a pretty regular starting lineup with Vicente Padilla starting.

For San Diego, just Craig Stansberry in place of Tadahito Iguchi with Clay Hensley on the mound.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Michael Young, SS

Josh Hamilton, CF

Hank Blalock, 3B

Kevin Mahar, RF

Nate Gold, 1B

Jarrod Saltamacchia, C

Vicente Padilla, P

Brian Giles, RF

Craig Stansberry, 2B

Adrian Gonzalez, 1B

Michael Barrett, C

Jim Edmonds, CF

Khalil Greene, SS

Scott Hairston, LF

Kevin Kouzmanoff, 3B

Clay Hensley, P

GAME RECAP:

Action starts right away. Kinsler, with Catalanotto on, crushes an inside slider to center for an early 2-0 lead, and is followed up by Hamilton with a booming 431ft shot to right off a high change-up.

mvp20052008-01-2812-12-02-62.jpgmvp20052008-01-2812-26-04-37.jpg

After that, things cool down very quickly. Hensley settles down, and with the San Diego bullpen, go perfect until the top of the ninth. 24 batters retired in a row. Sure makes my 14-run game previously look like a fluke.

Meanwhile, San Diego look to peg back the lead, but Padilla is up to the task. He shuts them down for six innings and five hits, but since I look to keep realism by not forcing pitchers to go the distance in spring, I sub him off for Benoit, who promptly serves up a solo shot to Greene. Whoops.

mvp20052008-01-2813-47-58-56.jpg

Since I forgot that the pitcher was leading off the next inning, it's a stupid little error I make yet again. He makes a fist of it though, forcing a great catch by Giles for the bloop he hits.

mvp20052008-01-2813-48-57-32.jpg

Top of the ninth, I finally break my utterly terrible hitting drought. It's on an error too, as Gonzalez messes up a backhand flick to pitcher recovery. With Hamilton on, I pinch-hit Mahar for Broussard, and he smokes a mistake pitch off the wall for a RBI double, making it 4-1 to the Rangers.

mvp20052008-01-2813-55-31-51.jpg

It looked like another insurance run as Fukumori induces a groundball from Barrett with Gonzalez on for two, but the ump calls Barrett safe at first. Washington charges out for a question, and I sub Kaz for CJ Wilson with Edmonds hitting. The move's pretty useless as Edmonds blows the first pitch he sees for a two-run homer, skipping the gap back to 4-3.

mvp20052008-01-2813-58-42-21.jpg

Wilson still holds for the win, getting groundouts from Greene and Hairston to finish.

Boxscore

Pitching: B+-Gave up two loose pitches for home runs and a helluva lot of deep flyballs, but still managed to do enough.

Batting: C-Capitalized on the few oppurtunities I had, with two homers and a big double but the rest was shocking. Young went 0 for 4 with 3K's.

Player of the Game: Josh Hamilton-1/4, 2R, HR, RBI-Scored the important run and a homer to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Game 14, managed

White Sox 7, Rangers 0

Boxscore

GAME RECAP:

This plain sucked. I mean, I usually do suck at Manager Mode (can't figure out what to use mostly, so it's usually a case of swing away or hit n' run). But this time, I can't even get on base. Facing Contreras at his 06 best, he fans eight, walks two and gives up two hits over eight innings while Mike MacDougal works the ninth.

Meanwhile, Carlos Quentin blasts a three-run homer off Feldman in the sixth and the Sox add three more in the ninth off Guardado (who I've overworked this spring) just to laugh at me.

Spring Training, Game 15

Texas RangersTEX.gif

vs

Chicago CubsCHC.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Plenty of changes. Botts at 1B, again, giving him every oppurtunity. Nelson Cruz up from AAA to play right field, Arias at SS, Taylor Teagarden who's a good prospect comes up from AA to catch. Jason Jennings starting.

For the Cubbies, Fontenot, Ward and Henry Blanco are in for their regulars, with sinkerballer Marquis on.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Jason Botts, 1B

Josh Hamilton, CF

Hank Blalock, 3B

Ben Broussard, DH

Nelson Cruz, RF

Joaquin Arias, SS

Taylor Teagarden, C

Alfonso Soriano, LF

Mike Fontenot, 2B

Derrek Lee, 1B

Aramis Ramirez, 3B

Daryl Ward, DH

Kosuke Fukudome, RF

Henry Blanco, C

Felix Pie, CF

Ryan Theriot, SS

GAME RECAP:

After a little work in the top of the first, I load the bases on two out with Broussard coming up, who's something like 0 for 50 with RISP this spring. Of course, he blasts a single to center to score for a 1-0 lead. Cruz flies out to end the inning.

mvp20052008-02-0117-44-02-60.jpg

Fukudome quickly gets it back with a lead-off homer, and I put two more men on base before Jennings coerces Soriano into a double play with a 2-2 sinker.

In the next inning, I should've thrown Aramis out at home with Hamilton in center, but I messed up the throw and Teagarden has to go to his right, allowing Aramis to score. But it doesn't matter as I set about scoring in the bottom of the inning. Botts rolls one to a diving Fontenot who flips to second...

mvp20052008-02-0117-51-11-48.jpg

Safe! Botts also gets to first and Blalock singles to load the bases. Up comes Broussard again: keeps popping up at the wrong time. Fortunately, he gets a good first pitch and swings it over the center-field fence while my mouth drops open in shock.

mvp20052008-02-0117-53-01-95.jpg

From then on, it's a cruise-of-sorts. I chase Marquis with Cruz tripling Blalock and then Arias driving him in. Time to check out the kid Teagarden. He's pretty good: catches Theriot stealing with an early read, and narrowly misses on getting Soriano. Also makes a nice catch off a foul pop.

mvp20052008-02-0119-07-47-87.jpg

Aramis slams a solo shot to left to pull it to 5-3, but I'm confident that Guardado can close it out.

mvp20052008-02-0119-14-38-81.jpg

It was a disaster. Not that I actually gave up the runs, but Blanco smashes a drive into Guardado's leg, shattering it into a million bits. Not really, but as Blalock shows great hustle by running in from third at full-pelt to make the play, Guardado's leg is fractured, which means his spring is finished and I can't overuse him now. Meanwhile, CJ Wilson nonchantantly works the save.

Boxscore

Pitching: B+-Again, two more homers given up but that's a bad habit of mine. Pretty solid work all around.

Hitting: B+-What can I say about Broussard? Got enough runs to secure the win with seven on fourteen hits.

Player of the Game: Ben Broussard-3/4, R, HR, 5RBI-Blalock could've got it for his 1.000 hitting, but Broussard was the difference today.

• 2 weeks later...

Spring Training, Game 16

Texas RangersTEX.gif

versus

Colorado RockiesCOL.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Broussard (no DH) and Young sit out, Botts, Saltamacchia and Arias all play. Gabbard starting.

The Rockies are at full strength: I was too lazy to change things around apart from starting Josh Towers and his shaky ERA.

The game is at Coors and at night, since I got bored of day games at mostly spring venues.

Lineups:

Frank Catalanotto, LF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Hank Blalock, 3B

Josh Hamilton, CF

Marlon Byrd, RF

Jason Botts, 1B

Joaquin Arias, SS

Jarrod Saltamacchia, C

Kason Gabbard, P

Willy Taveras, CF

Troy Tulowitzki, SS

Matt Holliday, LF

Todd Helton, 1B

Garrett Atkins, 3B

Brad Hawpe, RF

Ian Stewart, 2B

Chris Iannetta, C

Josh Towers

GAME RECAP:

Helton fails at defence (actually, not really), but with Blalock on first, he fields a grounder by Hamilton and messes something up, forcing Cory Sullivan to trot on as a defensive sub. I'm supposed to be dancing with joy at this, but as it turns out, it costs me later on.

Bottom of the second, Atkins belts a hanging sinker to center and then Stewart gets home on a double by Iannetta. 2-0 Rockies.

mvp20052008-02-0515-49-33-40.jpg

Meanwhile, Towers is eating me for breakfast. Groundball. Flyball. Strikeout. Hamilton flings himself at first but is out by a mile. Sullivan makes a great diving catch off a flat liner.

mvp20052008-02-0516-04-09-32.jpgmvp20052008-02-0516-06-50-75.jpg

In the bottom of the fifth, Iannetta singles again, gets to second on a sacrifice bunt and Taveras drives him in. Tulo lines a single into left field where Catalanotto has a short throw, but Taveras is way too quick anyway and it's now 4-0 Rockies.

As it heads into the top of the ninth, things look dead with my offence in an atrocious state and 4-0 down. But Catalanotto singles and Kinsler draws a walk. Blalock bounces the third pitch he hits down the first base line, but makes a crucial error...

mvp20052008-02-0516-11-09-75.jpg

The ball lands on his shoulder as he runs to first. One out, men on first and second. Hamilton gets a good high pitch to hit, but he resists temptation going for the homer and just pokes it to right to load the bases.

mvp20052008-02-0516-12-10-50.jpg

I pinch-hit Byrd who doesn't look like getting a hit for Michael Young as Brian Fuentes comes on. Young swings towards home-run territory to center...

mvp20052008-02-0516-13-35-64.jpg

...but it's caught by Taveras on the wall. Nevertheless, Catalanotto charges home and I send Kinsler for home as well. He barely beats the throw with a wide slide and it's 4-2. Botts doubles to score Hamilton and the buzz gets louder. In comes Manny Corpas. Arias pounds his own double off the wall, scoring Botts and tying the game!

mvp20052008-02-0516-14-53-17.jpg

Saltamacchia is walked to bring out the pitcher Feldman. Unfortunately, I have no more pinch-hitters (damn). He does his best, but Corpas makes a catch over his shoulder to end the inning.

mvp20052008-02-0516-15-46-42.jpg

The Rockies fight back though, and Feldman gives up consecutive singles, getting Sullivan to third. I walk Iannetta with two out, not wanting to risk him hitting again. Spilborghs, the pinch-hitter flies out to end the inning, as Arias makes the catch with all of Coors hissing at him...

mvp20052008-02-0516-20-21-48.jpg

Kinsler singles with one out in the top of the tenth, but is caught stealing second. I think my idea's kinda right though, as Blalock follows it up with a single to Taveras' left. If Kinsler had been at second, he probably would've scored the go-ahead run and Wilson would be saving. Instead, Hamilton grounds out and Feldman keeps going.

He gets rid of dangerman Taveras, who would be nearly unstoppable with the best hitters coming up. But Feldman gives one up to Tulo, a single into center field.

mvp20052008-02-0516-23-46-96.jpg

Fukumori is in, and he gives a single to Holliday. Tulowitzki breaks for third and makes it barely, causing Washington to charge out again and complain. And in steps Sullivan.

mvp20052008-02-0516-18-03-62.jpg

With the winning run on third, he plonks a single to left to score Tulo and gives the Rockies a 5-4 win.

mvp20052008-02-0516-24-55-64.jpgmvp20052008-02-0516-25-05-90.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: B--Didn't pitch well enough down the stretch, but was okay in general.

Hitting: C-A struggle with exception to the ninth-inning rally.

Player of the Game: Cory Sullivan-2/5, RBI

Rangers Player of the Game: Joaquin Arias-2/4, 2 2B, RBI

jonthefon - if you edit your catcher in the game, and select a different fielding glove for him (pick whatever fielding glove you want, it doesn't matter), next time you use him as catcher, he will use the correct catcher's mitt, instead of that "error" no-texture thing.

Just for your information.

• 2 weeks later...

Game 17, managed

Rangers 5, Royals 3

Boxscore

Spring Training, Game 18

Texas RangersTEX.gif

versus

Colorado RockiesCOL.gif

GAME PREVIEW:

Both teams playing nearly full-strength sides: Sullivan playing at his normal position in centre in place for Willy-T, Marcus Giles in second and Ubaldo Jimenez starting.

Murphy leading off again in front of Catalanotto, while Arias starts with Young at third and Blalock off. I think I'll play Bradley earlier than Opening Day soon though.

Lineups:

David Murphy, LF

Ian Kinsler, 2B

Michael Young, 3B

Ben Broussard, DH

Josh Hamilton, CF

Jason Botts, 1B

Marlon Byrd, RF

Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C

Joaquin Arias, SS

Cory Sullivan, CF

Troy Tulowitzki, SS

Matt Holliday, LF

Todd Helton, 1B

Garrett Atkins, 3B

Brad Hawpe, RF

Marcus Giles, 2B

Yorvit Torrealba, C

Ryan Spilborghs, DH

GAME RECAP:

The last game I played on this ground was a homerun trotsky, but I'm playing with a keyboard since my 360 controller is broken. This, I don't like since it's difficult to steal bases, and I still can't figure out how to call a cutoff man...nothing happens when I press the button.

In the top of the second, Hawpe crashes a high heater to center for a 1-0 lead.

mvp20052008-02-1216-47-44-68.jpg

Spilborghs leads off the next inning with a double, which he gets with a dramatic dive to barely beat the throw.

mvp20052008-02-1216-50-20-35.jpg

Holliday rewards the hustle by drilling the second homer of the game to put the Rockies up 3-0. He doesn't even bother running.

mvp20052008-02-1216-52-01-35.jpg

I erase all of this in the bottom of the fourth. Hamilton, Botts and Saltalamacchia all pot solo shots to tie the game up at 3. Saltalamacchia's homer is an impressive one, 460ft to right and I captured a video for it, only to leave it on my computer without Internet, and I'm too lazy to get it again.

mvp20052008-02-1216-57-43-45.jpgmvp20052008-02-1216-59-06-81.jpg

Botts makes a Keith Hernandez-like diving play to out Spilborghs, which just about seals his position at first. He's been perfect.

mvp20052008-02-1217-03-20-76.jpg

But then Sullivan singles and Tulowitzki works up a full count. After two changeups are fouled away, I go for the inside fastball...

mvp20052008-02-1217-05-17-93.jpg

I'm never trying that again. Two-run shot, 5-3 Rockies. I'm pissed.

Turns out I don't need to be. Young doubles, Hamilton doubles and Botts comes in to swat his second homer of the game. Byrd follows it up easy as well, 7-5 Rangers.

mvp20052008-02-1217-08-18-20.jpgmvp20052008-02-1217-09-49-09.jpg

From there on, it's up for me to hold and/or increase the lead. I load the bases in 7th only for pinch-hitting Catalanotto to ground out to end the inning. But the game breaks open in the bottom of the eighth.

After Kinsler leads off with a single, I pinch-hit Young for Blalock, just for the hell of it. He immediately blasts a two-run dinger to seal the game at 9-5.

mvp20052008-02-1217-21-18-45.jpg

As it turns out, Botts and Byrd aren't done. They homer once again, consecutively, and the game ends up 12-6.

mvp20052008-02-1217-23-16-68.jpgmvp20052008-02-1217-24-24-43.jpg

Boxscore

Pitching: B--Passable...home runs again but held them off

Hitting: A+-8 homeruns! I guess it was mainly because I faced some pretty weak off-speed pitching, which even with the keyboard, is easy to hit.

Player of the Game: Jason Botts-4/5, 3R, 3HR, 5RBI...no doubt there.

Archived