The 1990 Oakland Athletics

HardcoreLegend

FSN Ohio replayed the clinching Game 4 of the 1994 World Series between the Tony LaRussa led As and the Lou Piniella charged Reds.

My God, how many HOF or HOVG players did LaRussa have in that series? I had forgotten just how good they were:

Mark McGwire

Ricky Henderson

Jose Canseco

Willie McGee

Harold Baines

Willie Randolph

Dave Henderson

Walt Weiss

He had Dave Stewart at the top of the Rotation and Eckersley/Honeycutt at the backend of the bullpen.

They got blown out in 2 games. They lost Game 2 in the 10th after taking a 4-3 lead into the bottom of the 8th. They lost Game 4 2-1 after giving up 2 runs in the Top of the 8th.

If they could have held on to win Game 4, the Reds were without Eric Davis and Billy Hatcher the rest of the season.

So, where did it all go wrong? Does this have to be considered one of the worst underachieving teams in World Series history? Am I really undervaluing the Jose Rijo's revenge on Tony LaRussa that much?

celeb_larussa.jpg

you just gotta give it to the reds for absolutely handing it to the a's that year. that was an awesome performance overall. definitely made me a rijo believer. too bad about all the injuries following that.

don't forget to mention bob welch, carney lansford, terry steinbach...that was truly a solid lineup top to bottom. but looking at that reds roster...that was damn good too. i mean really, their only weak spot was starting pitching. and even that was pretty good.

Wasn't that the year that Clemens was tossed in the second inning of Game 1 of the ALCS for arguing balls and strikes?

It wasn't game one, it was the second inning of the FINAL game of the 1990 ALCS. That would make it game 4, wouldn't it? The A's swept, didn't they?

He got fined $10,000 also (and suspended for the first 5 games of 1991, I believe).

Archived