I Need An Honest Opinion From The Greats At This Website

iuhyeah

It seems to me that all the modders are switching their attention to MLB 2K9 for the PC (I could be totaly wrong on this though). I have been a MVP 05 fan forever and have used every update that has come out, but as the season is nearly upon us, I have a question for those who care to answer. What game this year will have more updates, and what game is just flat out better to play now on the PC? MVP 08/09 (when it comes out) or the new MLB 2K9 for the PC. Im just looking for some ideas from those of you that have compared both games. Thanks in advance!

It seems to me that all the modders are switching their attention to MLB 2K9 for the PC (I could be totaly wrong on this though). I have been a MVP 05 fan forever and have used every update that has come out, but as the season is nearly upon us, I have a question for those who care to answer. What game this year will have more updates, and what game is just flat out better to play now on the PC? MVP 08/09 (when it comes out) or the new MLB 2K9 for the PC. Im just looking for some ideas from those of you that have compared both games. Thanks in advance!

2k9 will surely have more updates, it already has. But MVP at the moment has better gameplay because 2k9 still has a lot of bugs. there is a patch coming out soon that may fix these issues. You can wait untill Eamods releases 09, but nobody knows when that'll be out or if it even going to be released. There is no online feature in 2k9. Other than that. 20 dollars is a good deal since there is nothing else out there unless you wanna pay $400 plus dollars on the show and PS3. Most people are pretty happy with the show unlike 2k9.

I am just now getting the hang of fielding and pitching. My first game I lost 12-7 and got hammered. I went back and really practiced my pitching and my fielding. Used the sticks for throwing instead of the mapped buttons on my dual action, did not have any 1b issues. Won the game, 6-3, cubs vs. reds. Had a 1 hitter thru 4 innings. My fielding still needs some work. The presentation is very slick and looks great. I love Mvp, but lets be honest, it is almost 4 years old and looks a little dated. If they can iron out some of the bugs is 2K9, its gonna be a great game.

I tried MLB 2K9, but I just didn't like it as much as MVP. Maybe I didn't give it long enough, but I uninstalled it, sold it and went back to MVP. I agree with Rolie that there will be more 2K9 mods than MVP mods this year, however, that doesn't mean that MVP modding is dead. I (and others) will continue releasing classic mods, and over time (especially if 2K9 fixes their bugs and releases a better version next year), MVP may mainly be the game of choice for classic baseball fans. There is no intention to recreate the MVP classics mods on 2K9, as we've spent 4 years creating them, so any updates or new classics mods will be created on MVP.

Well I converted from console this year to get back on the PC. As stated 2k9 has a great presentation and base but has a few bugs in the gameplay/control department and overall AI management that this rumored patch is supposed to attack. Personally I love 2k9 on the PC much better than any console game...just like PC gaming. 2k9 really needs alot of work in the roster department as well because we do not have living rosters...but there are a couple of dedicated individuals doing great work here...Snash and Lunasonica! Time will tell?

I've been playing seasons since MVP came out but i have to say this year its all 2K. Sorry for all the hard core MVP fans but this game is leaps and bounds ahead in every aspect...the hitting, pitching, realistically...its better. Don't get me wrong MVP provided a few years of my baseball fix, it was great but its time to move on. The bugs will be fixed its just a matter of waiting a week more thats all, and i'm glad that the people that provided so many mods for MVP are doing the same for 2K..so i know the quality would be great...Go Jays Go!!!.

I'm extremely critical of 2k Sports gameplay but the more I've played the game, the more I've liked it. If I could ever figure out how to 'call my own game' as a pitcher as opposed to Toby Hall telling me to throw 3 straight fastballs to Chipper Jones, I'd be ok with the defensive miscues.

I'm extremely critical of 2k Sports gameplay but the more I've played the game, the more I've liked it. If I could ever figure out how to 'call my own game' as a pitcher as opposed to Toby Hall telling me to throw 3 straight fastballs to Chipper Jones, I'd be ok with the defensive miscues.

It's in the options somwhere to turn off the catcher calling the game.

You can shake off the catcher with button 1...

Anyways, this is a question I'm struggling with too. 2k9 has slick presentation and I love the sun progression and different environments at the stadium (closed/open roof)...Some bugs, I haven't noticed a ton, but they are there, some visual issues and definitely in need of modding, but I think 2k9 will be decent and I wouldn't mind it taking over for my old MVP 2005 modded 2007... I've played three games on 2k9 and it is growing on me...I went back and tried to play MVP and the graphics were so different and gameplay so different, but a real connection with my franchise

I really can't wait to see what the modders can do with 2k9...hopefully as much and more than they were able to do with 2005...and I must say, the fact that I'm playing 2005 modded to 2007 graphics, models, textures, rosters, and all is a testament to the dedication of these modders!

I really struggled with 2k9 at first but I've been working on getting better the last few weeks and am now having some pretty good games (other than ones that get ruined by some of the fielding bugs, but I believe that will be fixed with the upcoming patch). Yesterday I decided to go back and play a game on MVP to see which one I wanted to use to start my real franchise this season, and the difference was vast. 2k9 has a lot going for it especially with the pitching mechanism and how much more realistic the batting experience is. I'd much rather invest my time and money hoping that between 2k9 fixing the bugs and improving the game and modders increasing the realism with stadiums, rosters and accessories we'll end up with a true next-gen PC game.

At the core of 2k9 is really MVP 2005. As opposed to the Show, which is an entirely different feeling game, I thought 2k8 especially resembled MVP 2005 in a lot of respect. The franchise mode was basically a complete port from EA.

There is good and bad with the game but for my money 2k9 has more variety and is newer. That is why I made the switch. Plus it is always good to support those who support PC gaming! Yeah 2k glad you finally woke up.

I'm far from being one of the greats around here because I'm not a modder. Those are the guys who make this place what it is. But I might be able to answer this. 2k9 should have more updates by default because it is a newer game. However I still think that Mvp 08 and all of the season mods that go with Mvp baseball make MVP better to play on the PC. I think there is more of a choice with MVP and when 09 is updated for it, it will be that much better.

I'm far from being one of the greats around here because I'm not a modder. Those are the guys who make this place what it is. But I might be able to answer this. 2k9 should have more updates by default because it is a newer game. However I still think that Mvp 08 and all of the season mods that go with Mvp baseball make MVP better to play on the PC. I think there is more of a choice with MVP and when 09 is updated for it, it will be that much better.

I agree with you to a point. Right now we are comparing apples to oranges. MVP has been around for years, MLB, a month. Sure there is a lot more choice right now, but if MLB becomes crackable, and is patched and playable, then watch out. I personally think that MVP is on the way out. May not be for a year, may be next week. I have been playing 2K9, and because of its defects, I find it somewhat annoying, but I love the overall feel and look of it, and don't see myself going back to MVP.

DJEagles11, have to agree with you on that, MLB 2k9, brings a lot of new things to the table that are great, and when we can mod this game it will be great. (I can't say enough about the environmental things in 2k9 like the sun changing position, roofs open or closed!

Well, I have absolutely no greatness, but I do have an opinion about this game. I've played about 100 games now. My conclusion is this:

There is one MAJOR bug in this game, and one Moderate bug. The rest are minor issues.

MAJOR: CPU plate agressiveness. It's really bad, you can compensate for it a little, the best thing is try to throw where your catcher calls, and even then, try to keep the ball from grabbing too much of the plate. This helps with making the CPU take a pitch or two, and helps to get your own pitchers count up, plus you might even walk a guy or two.

MODERATE: The fielding errors. There seems to be some pretty crappy fielding AI in here, even when you run your guy into positon (OF), about once a game, he'll just yack on it. I've had several cans of corn drop right on my outfielder's head or back. Pretty silly.

If the patch fixes this, and they've indicated they will, then this game will be way better than MVP05, IMHO.

I'm still hoping that the really talented folks on this site crack this game, and figure out how to turn down CPU plate aggressiveness themselves!

This game has real potential.

Archived