Photoshop Thread

JoeRudi26

Background

Once you have your basic canvas, you want to give your template a background, ie, a base. Making the background is probably the easiest thing you can do. You can make your own, or search the web for something that may fit your tastes. For example, if you want to make your background a cool blue design, go to google and type "cool blue wallpapers". Of course, the background depends on what kind of theme you want the template to have. It could be anything. To make it easy, you could simply fill the canvas with a solid color. If you choose a certain pic, just open it up in Photoshop, copy and paste it onto your "background canvas". If the size (of the pic) doesn't look quite right, you can open your pic, go to Image > Image Size, and resize it to your liking. You may have to play around with it before you get it to look right. You should now have your basic template.

(Instructions: Go to File > Open > Find your pic. Once you have the pic open, hit Ctrl+A (selects pic), Ctrl+C (copies pic). Go to your original canvas and hit Ctrl+V (pastes pic).

Your canvas should now have the background (first layer).

*Note: I'll stop here and let those that want to, catch up, and then we can move on*

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay, where do I sign up for class?  I'll even bring the Bud Lite. :drinks:

Seriously, this thread was an excellent idea. :hi:

You had me at 'Bring'.  :D

Thanks man.  Yeah, this could be fun.  Instead of trying to write everything up from start to finish, I thought I'd let those that wanted to, get started nice and easy.  Then maybe I can continue the tutorial as we go along.  

Background 

Once you have your basic canvas, you want to give your template a background, ie, a base. Making the background is probably the easiest thing you can do.  You can make your own, or search the web for something that may fit your tastes.  For example, if you want to make your background a cool blue design, go to google and type "cool blue wallpapers".  Of course, the background depends on what kind of theme you want the template to have.  It could be anything. To make it easy, you could simply fill the canvas with a solid color.  If you choose a certain pic, just open it up in Photoshop, copy and paste it onto your "background canvas". If the size (of the pic) doesn't look quite right, you can open your pic, go to Image > Image Size, and resize it to your liking.  You may have to play around with it before you get it to look right. You should now have your basic template.

(Instructions: Go to File > Open > Find your pic.  Once you have the pic open, hit Ctrl+A (selects pic), Ctrl+C (copies pic).  Go to your original canvas and hit Ctrl+V (pastes pic).  

Your canvas should now have the background (first layer).  

35k6455.jpg

*Note: I'll stop here and let those that want to, catch up, and then we can move on*

ok JR so far so good! this is fun, thanks again for this!!

Shapes

After you have your base, the next step would be to start making general shapes for the template. In this particular template, all shapes start out as simple squares, and are then cut accordingly, depending on the shape that you're looking for. To make a simple square, you first have to make a new layer, and then select the Rectangular Marquee Tool. For cutting corners, etc., I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool (cut path, hit Ctrl+X to cut)

Make a square with the Rectangular Marquee Tool, and then fill it with whatever color you desire (you may want to mess with the opacity for transparency). In this case, the color is black. After you make the square and place it where you want it, use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to make your cuts. In this case, there is one cut in the top right corner of the shape.

Preparation for the template is the most important part, once you know how you want to do things, making the background and the basic shapes are relatively simple. After this first shape, just continue until you have the "skeleton" of shapes that make your template, or what I refer to as the Framework. (each additional shape requires making a new layer)

this is freaking sexy, man.

This is exactly what I was hoping for and much, much more. I never knew about the poly-tool (whatever it's called, lol) so I will definitely start looking to use that.

I hope you don't mind, but I was considering taking all of the posts you make for the tut and saving them to microsoft word so I can use it in the places I don't even have internet access at.

Also, it may be handy for other users if something happens to the forums for the future, and one day you may decide to make an entire thread solely dedicated to your tut. If you do, I'm almost 100% positive this will be stickied :p

No problem, man.  I can't tell you guys (that are interested in learning) how important it is to explore and experiment in this program.  The possibilities are endless, but getting a grip on the basics really isn't that hard if you have the desire.  Learning what the tools do, and how to use them, are key.

Like I said earlier, I'd rather take this tutorial kind of slow in case some people want to ask questions.  Besides, it's probably the best way to learn.

After you have your basic framework in place, you can start to build your layers (shapes) on top of that, again, simply using the Rectangular Marquee  Tool and filling them with the desired color, and then cutting corners with the Polygonal Lasso Tool.   On this template, I next added the White Team Background Bar and the Blue Team Player Stat Bars for the away team. (away team always at the top).  Further, you can see a red vertical line that I made with the Rectangular Marquee  Tool.  Instead of using the rulers in Photoshop, I find it easier to use these as my guides for lining up the shapes.  I make two extra layers on top, one for the vertical and one for horizontal guides.

Before I go any further, a lot of people have asked how to get the fading (transparent) look on some of the shapes. To do this, select the Elliptical Marquee Tool and set the Feather Option to 35 px. As you can see in the graphic, you may have to play around with the placement of the cut (make shape, Ctrl+X to cut) until you get the desired effect.

Next, for the Home Team and Player Stat Bars, simply copy the Away Team Bars and move them down.  To do this, highlight the respective layers in the layer pallet (right click > duplicate layers) and while highlighted, hit V (move tool) and use the down arrows to move the layers down all at the same time and place them accordingly.

You should now have your shapes (stat bars) for both the home and away teams.

Next, I added a Divider Bar to keep things from running together. You want to make this bar a different color, something brighter preferably, so that it divides the away and home team stat bars. Using the same method (new layer) to make/cut/fade shapes, I added the divider bar just above the home team stat bars. Again, remember to use your Guide Layers to line up shapes accordingly.

Shapes

After you have your base, the next step would be to start making general shapes for the template.  In this particular template, all shapes start out as simple squares, and are then cut accordingly, depending on the shape that you're looking for. To make a simple square, you first have to make a new layer, and then select the Rectangular Marquee  Tool.  For cutting corners, etc., I use the Polygonal Lasso Tool (cut path, hit Ctrl+X to cut)

1fb6dw.jpg

Make a square with the Rectangular Marquee  Tool, and then fill it with whatever color you desire (you may want to mess with the opacity for transparency).  In this case, the color is black.  After you make the square and place it where you want it, use the Polygonal Lasso Tool to make your cuts.  In this case, there is one cut in the top right corner of the shape.  

vhexxd.jpg

Preparation for the template is the most important part, once you know how you want to do things, making the background and the basic shapes are relatively simple.  After this first shape, just continue until you have the "skeleton" of shapes that make your template, or what I refer to as the Framework.  (each additional shape requires making a new layer)

351frxx.jpg

i'm a bit lost! can you show how to make a layer? i have a few choices in my drop down menu and i'm not sure what one to use.

this is seriously God-worthy material. I didn't think you would go NEARLY this in-depth, but I'm really glad you have been.

I have basic photoshop knowledge so once my comp comes back (it's being repaired, :() I'll be sure to try some of this stuff.

Hopefully by the end of this tut you'll have helped a ton of people :D

hey man, I'm just wondering if you know how to get one layer to show up on top of another.

I made the white bar where the away/home team's name and record goes, but when I try to type in text, even though it is set to black, it doesn't show up, and I'm thinking that's because the white layer is showing up over the text. How do I change this?

Sorry, it's just that I'm so used to the GIMP where you can click a button and get the layer to the point where you want it, lol.

hey man, I'm just wondering if you know how to get one layer to show up on top of another.

I made the white bar where the away/home team's name and record goes, but when I try to type in text, even though it is set to black, it doesn't show up, and I'm thinking that's because the white layer is showing up over the text. How do I change this?

Sorry, it's just that I'm so used to the GIMP where you can click a button and get the layer to the point where you want it, lol.

You can actually click on the layer (highlight) you want to move, and just drag it up or down in the layer pallet. At least I think this is what you mean.

*EDIT - Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but one of the most important things to remember is to name your layers as soon as you create a new one, it will save you massive headaches when working with multiple layers*

You can actually click on the layer (highlight) you want to move, and just drag it up or down in the layer pallet.  At least I think this is what you mean.

*EDIT - Not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but one of the most important things to remember is to name your layers as soon as you create a new one, it will save you massive headaches when working with multiple layers*

got it, thanks a bunch :D

Archived